Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir
March 20th, 2014
7 months ago

Rush Limbaugh selection in children’s book competition causes a stir

(CNN) - Rush Limbaugh - radio host, conservative firebrand and... children's book author of the year?

The Children’s Book Council and its Every Child a Reader program released on Thursday their author-of-the-year finalists for their annual Children’s and Teen Choice Book Awards.

Limbaugh is one of the four finalists, and his nomination has prompted outrage on social media, given the host’s often-incendiary nature.

Limbaugh's book is titled, "Rush Revere and The Brave Pilgrims: Time-Travel Adventures with Exceptional Americans" – a time-traveling tale of colonial America and the latest of two books in the "Rush Revere Series" published last year by Simon & Schuster.

Limbaugh, an outspoken figure in the political world, often expresses controversial sentiments on his radio program. Recently, Limbaugh blasted Pope Francis' economic views as "pure Marxism," and, in 2012, he called Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke a "slut" and "prostitute" for her support of women's access to birth control.

The Children’s Book Council issued a public letter, posted to its website and Facebook page, defending its finalist selection process following the uproar online and insisting that the author of the year finalists "are determined solely based on titles’ performances on the bestseller lists."

"Some of you have voiced concerns over the selection of finalists from bestseller lists, which you feel are potentially-manipulable indications of the success of a title. We can take this into consideration going forward, but cannot change our procedure for selecting finalists after the fact," the organization said in the letter.

The CBC letter goes on to say the kids, who will start voting next week, ultimately decide which author wins in each of the six categories, including best author. The letter goes on to assure that the organization has a procedure in place to protect against fraud and adult's voting in the contest.

"This program has never been about CBC or ECAR endorsing finalists," the letter says.

Limbaugh touted the apparent success of his book series on his radio program on Thursday.

"We just found out last night that on the New York Times Best-Seller List of March the 30th, ‘Rush Revere and the First Patriots’ will open at number one, and ‘Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims’ moves up to number four," said, according to a transcript of the audio.

Limbaugh’s book landed at the number-5 spot on the New York Times best seller’s list for the week of March 23.

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: Rush Limbaugh
  1. @LynnD_P

Yay Rush! FINALLY a truthful tale about this great country to contradict the liberal crap they teach in public school.

March 21, 2014 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  2. Lee

Oh how the liberals Hate anyone who dares oppose their agenda of destroying the foundations that this great country was established on over 230 years ago. They are the Most intolerant people to walk the earth. Shame on them!

March 21, 2014 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  3. Paul Smith

Dear Lynda/Minnesota,
    In answer to your question, probably yes. After all, literature is replete with examples of main characters of books resembling their authors: Steinbeck, Hemingway, and Fitzgerald come quickly to mind.

March 21, 2014 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  4. Jim Ray

(TONE): "Rush is a disease that cannot be spread, and i (sic) am going to my child's school to let the principal know that if they use those books in the school i (sic) will pull my child out."
    Wow... so Rush must be killed and his books burned... nice. Will you home school or try to find a non-union charter school?
    ("Daddy, why can't I go to school with my friends any more?" "Shut up and read, 'Heather Has Two Mommies.'")

March 21, 2014 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  5. rastus

I bought the book for my great-granddaughter and she loved it. Her favorite character was Liberty the smart aleck talking horse

March 21, 2014 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  6. rastus

I was in the bookstore this morning when the news came out that Rush's book was number one and the second book was number four. Pretty soon the fire alarms went off and I saw the manager rushing to the global warming section with a fire extinguisher in his hand. One person holding the book An "Inconvenient Truth" head exploded while another carrying a Nancy Pelosi autobiography had his pants on fire. There was much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth in the children's progressive book section too.

March 21, 2014 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  7. Doug

What he said was that the Pope's views weren't true, that capitalism and free markeys have lifted more people out of poverty than any other sytem in history.
    In the case of miss Fluke; he felt that it was wrong for her to want everyone else to pay for her lifestyle; that if she wanted to live that way fine, but pay for her own birth control.
    This is the problem when you take things out of context. I belive the author of yhis writing owes mr. Limbaugh an apology for mis representing his views.
    Also, his childdrens book is fun, educational, uplifting, and refreshing and should be based on its stand alone merits- just yo be fair!

March 21, 2014 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  8. Paul Hail

I have enjoyed rush for 20 years sorry people don't form opinions of him by actually listening to him in context. The man is incredibly talented and having two books on the New York times bestseller list at the same time speaks for itself.

It amazes me how intolerant people are in the political arena are people are after all allowed to have different opinions and respectfully disagree

March 21, 2014 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  9. Sara56

People who hate Rush Limbaugh have never listened to him, because they are so afraid that they might have to change their thinking..

March 21, 2014 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  10. Ric from Simi

I want to thank the school teacher/mother for her comment because you're not a Rush fan but read the book and shared it with your child because it was "spot on". I would encourage each one of you to take a week of listening to Rush 's radio program before slandering him so viciously. I think you will convert because he is exceptionally "spot on" with his politics!

March 21, 2014 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  11. Kile

I've never heard Rush say anything controversial. He's usually right and when he's wrong, he isn't far off.

March 21, 2014 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  12. GONESURFING

This is fun, Rush writes a great childrens book and the intolerant liberal have their panties in a bunch.

March 21, 2014 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  13. David

The story misleads about the Sandra Fluke incident. Limbaugh did NOT use those words to describe her support of birth control, but rather that she wants taxpayers to support a promiscuous lifestyle. HUGE difference that you should have noticed.

March 21, 2014 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  14. Rod

The liberals are all about banning anything and everything that doesn't match what they think. Doesn't matter whether its a kids book or climate change its either ban it or lock you up if you disagree.

March 22, 2014 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  15. Jay

Good for you Rush these are fantastic books and haters are anti-American bigots

March 22, 2014 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  16. Eight_Belles

As a historian myself, I will say it's an excellent read and has been a wonderful teaching tool. Kids enjoy it, it engages their imagination in such a way that they remember what they've read without my having to reinforce it on a daily basis. In fact, they'll often come to me with the stories and really insightful questions about the Mayflower crossing (and events that lead to the journey) that often spark lengthy classroom conversations. I've enjoyed reading it myself and, no, I'm not pushing anyone's agenda, Democrat or Republican because I am neither. I was not particularly a Rush fan either...wasn't a hater but wasn't a follower. In any case, it's a great book for kids (and adults who aren't familiar with their own history and you know who you are). Get the book and READ it. You'll be surprised what you learn and how well you'll remember the material after you've finished.

March 22, 2014 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  17. hongryhawg

I hate myself for loving it so much when the liberals turn on the hate-faucets full blast. It just does my soul so good! Rush can give them heart attacks without even having them in the cross-hairs. Liberals are so funny when they slobber. Thanks again, Rush, though I know it wasn't your intention. But 'fess up. You knew they'd freak. Ha Ha!

March 22, 2014 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  18. annie

The books are great.He deserves the honor.

March 22, 2014 03:09 am at 3:09 am |
  19. Min

I would consider reading the book and discussing it both, with a group of children after they had listened to segments of his radio program.

March 22, 2014 03:13 am at 3:13 am |
  20. MinMin

A children's reading club is called for to expand on Rush's book with books of their own.

March 22, 2014 03:17 am at 3:17 am |
  21. Mr. Derp

Go El Rushbo!

March 22, 2014 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  22. Annie

Lynda in Miinnesota–did you ever hear of Darren Shan?

Look up his children's books and then come back and ask your question again.

March 22, 2014 04:03 am at 4:03 am |
  23. Beverly

I bought "Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrams" for my grandchildren. Being a history buff I decided to read it first. I found the book to be an absolutely delightful book. I gave it the the children just before Thanksgiving. Hopefully there will be more Rush Revere books, they are a great way to get children interested in our history. Especially American history is barely taught in our public schools anymore.

March 22, 2014 04:57 am at 4:57 am |
  24. Mitchell

No wonder people hate him, I would too if anything said about the guy was true. Access to birth control, really? Has anyone here read the book or do we just burn them based on hear say.

March 22, 2014 06:42 am at 6:42 am |
  25. RCL

Liberals are the haters. Intolerant jerks who use intimidation to censor anyone who disagrees with them. I guarantee the gutless "intellectuals" who pass out the awards will totally cave to the class rules laid down by the ignoramuses posing as experts and academics now days.

March 22, 2014 06:55 am at 6:55 am |