March 21st, 2014
9 months ago

Justices to hear 'Hobby Lobby' case on Obamacare birth control rule

(CNN) - Conestoga Wood Specialties was founded a half-century ago in a Pennsylvania garage. The Hahn family's commitment to quality is driven in large part by their Christian faith, which in turn may soon threaten the company's very existence.

That financial and constitutional dynamic is now before the U.S. Supreme Court, in a high-stakes encore to the health care reform law known as Obamacare. The justices will hear oral arguments Tuesday in a dispute involving contraception coverage and religious liberty.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Faith • Supreme Court
  1. Rudy NYC

I think that this is the most significant ruling to come through the SCOTUS since the ACA ruling and Citizens United. To allow a for-profit corporation to impose religious beliefs on its' employees would set an extremely bad precedent. Where would do draw the line? What if a corporation decides that it believes in faith healing, and claims offering health insurance to employees goes against their faith?

If a for-profit corporation is not allowed to turn away customers because of their religious beliefs, then why should a corporation be allowed to deny its' own employees their own religious beliefs?

March 21, 2014 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  2. Gurgyl

ACA is a Law. SC upheld. Nothing wrong with this law. Koch brothers need to stay away. God bless Obama. Period.

March 21, 2014 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  3. Tampa Tim

It will be interesting to see if this court thinks corporations have rights but indiviuasl do not.

March 21, 2014 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  4. smith

Hobby Lobby should just drop health insurance for its employee`s. Problem solved.

March 21, 2014 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  5. Tampa Tim

smith – since Hobby Lobby has more than 50 employees, they are obligated to provide insurance beginning 2015.

March 21, 2014 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  6. Rudy NYC

Tampa Tim

------------------------------
    I think you've boiled of the fat, and have exposed the real issue being put to the test. Do for-profit corporations have the "right" to define the personal rights of the individuals who work for them? I would hope not.

March 21, 2014 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. Rick McDaniel

ObamaCare is the most atrocious law ever passed by Democrats. Bar none. Not a single Republican voted for it. None.

March 21, 2014 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  8. rs

I simply fail to grasp why one person's religious belief trumps the rights of others for perfectly legal rights and access to goods and services. That situation forces the beliefs of one onto an entire group who do not (have to) share that belief. That is one of the cornerstones for the foundation of the United States and our Constitution.
    Compounding this is the fact none of us have ever shared a church pew with a "corporation". Corporations "may be people, my friends" (according to Mr. Romney), and they may have free speech rights (thanks to Citizens United), but I have never seen one espouse a religion beyond platitudes on the back of semi-trucks.

March 21, 2014 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  9. Winning

Rick McDaniel, so what? Republicans vote against anything that Obama is for, even if he wants to do things Republicans were previously in favor of. Pointing out that Republicans unanimously opposed it is simply pointing out the status quo of the Republican party: obstructionism for political gain.

As far as hobby lobby goes, I will never, ever spend money at a business that imposes religious doctrines on its employees. I won't eat at Chk fil A, I won't shop at Hobby Lobby, I won't shop at any business that is overtly religious in how it runs itself.

March 21, 2014 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  10. smith

@Tampa Tim-No, they`ll just have to pay the penalty fee.

March 21, 2014 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  11. Tampa Tim

Winning – I agree with you completely. It's been two years since I had a peach shake at Chik fil A, but I am a better person for that.

March 21, 2014 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  12. Tampa Tim

smith- Hobby Lobby promised to shut their doors before they would pay for health care. I only hope their employees can find decent employment.

March 21, 2014 10:44 am at 10:44 am |