Jeb Bush, Hillary Clinton together again to talk education
March 24th, 2014
9 months ago

Jeb Bush, Hillary Clinton together again to talk education

(CNN) – Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton - two central figures in modern politics with 2016 prospects - joined forces Monday to talk global education.

In her keynote address, Clinton praised Bush's dedication to education reform since serving two terms as governor of Florida, where he overhauled the state's education system, introducing a school voucher program and banning using race as a factor in university admissions.

The Globalization of Higher Education conference in Irving, Texas, hosted by Bush and former North Carolina Gov. Jim Hunt, was aimed at exploring the link between globalization and post-secondary education.

A source familiar with the event told CNN that Bush and Clinton said hello to each other and had a brief exchange.

It's the latest in a series of events where the two potential presidential candidates from opposing parties have rubbed shoulders.

They also both attended a presidential library dedication in April for Jeb Bush's brother, former President George W. Bush, in Dallas. And at a Philadelphia event last September, Bush awarded Clinton the Liberty Medal in his role as chairman of the National Constitution Center.

Clinton, the former secretary of state, first lady and senator from New York, is fresh off a three-day weekend of speeches, panels, and seminars hosted by the Clinton Global Initiative to address higher education and other issues facing young voters.

Her speech Monday focused on developing global partnerships with colleges and universities to appropriately tailor and deliver education resources around the world.

Education, Clinton said, "...is one of the most valuable assets that the United States has. It's something that we have to continue to invest in, to protect and indeed to share with the rest of the world."

In his opening remarks, Bush pushed for the use of technology to expand access to education.

"Utilizing technology to explore post-secondary education into rapidly emerging markets can become a principle platform for realizing the pent-up value of U.S. grants and can bring a sustainable economic model to American universities," he said.

Both politicians have amped up their public appearances recently, further stirring speculation around the prospects of a potential Bush-Clinton 2016 presidential showdown.

Clinton has said that she'll decide by the end of the year whether she makes a second run for the White House. Bush has given a similar timeline for his decision.

A CNN/ORC International survey conducted from March 7-9 indicated Bush in fifth place in the race for his party's nomination among a list of potential GOP presidential candidates. That same poll indicated Clinton as the overwhelming favorite in a hypothetical Democratic primary.

In the politically important state of Iowa, the first to kick off the presidential voting calendar, Clinton leads Bush 51% to 37%, according to a recent Quinnipiac University poll about voters' candidate preference in 2016.

Later Monday, Clinton will speak in Tulsa, Oklahoma to announce a new Clinton Foundation "Too Small to Fail" campaign, which aims to encourage parents to talk with their children while they are young in order to improve their understanding of words and concepts

Filed under: 2016 • Education • Hillary Clinton • Jeb Bush
  1. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

And btw, they've stopped AA here in Michigan and minority enrollment in Universities has plummeted.

March 24, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. iceload

Since neither of them stand for anything beyond advancing themselves, it's time to put the Bushs and Clintons behind us.

March 24, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. SeattleReign

And these, folks, are your candidates for the 2016 presidential race. We can't get past two families.

March 24, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. Eric

Just helps prove that each party only has interest in furthering the cause of political dynasties. I don't care whether you're Democrat or Republican, stop voting for people based upon their last name.

March 24, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  5. Steve

Those 2 are to me the best to people to represent their parties. I am not going to vote for Jeb but he is OK by me.

March 24, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. Bobby wood

Hillary and Jeb yesplease fix this mess,, start here and home, I want you to go into everyhome in this country take all the guns and drugs, without arresting everyone, bag of weed forget it, some people give back the guns to those that have already proven themselves back somedon,t fill those fema camps if that's what it takes, if they want out of the country buy them A one way ticket, If you don,t do it now it will happen later, I don,t care what it takes, cause while it,s all going on, I,m going to be working and have in fun, my door is open Mrs President.

March 24, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. Dan Bruce

If the Bushes and the Clintons are teaming up, watch your wallet!

March 24, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Anastasia Beaverhausen

There's something disturbing about this headline.

March 24, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. rebbebupkis

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the word "library" with George W. Bush.

March 24, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. MrObvious

The union of these two one percenters is an abomination and proof positive that there is no difference between the Ds and Rs. The presence of these two figures together slapping each other on the back can only bring misery and injustice to the 99 percent of us.

March 24, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Vijay

I don't like both of those to become president...

March 24, 2014 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. Tom

Oh yea. Jeb Bush was just ever so beneficial to education in Florida. If you wanted to raise several generations of kids with no talent other than taking standardized tests, that is.

March 24, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Dutch
    It's all political posturing boo. As it looks for democrats(us), we're stuck with Hillary for 2016. I'm not for giving ANYONE a pass to the nomination who I fundamentally disagreed with on the Iraq war
    -------------------------------------------------
    I am inclined to agree with you Dutch.
    As quiet as it is kept I have my issues when it comes to Hillary.
    I do want her to be our first woman president, I do respect how she stepped up and worked for Team America under this administration. I respect her for the most part, but there is something that niggles at me from the way she conducted her campaign back in '08. Or should I say some of the things that came out of her husband's mouth while he was campaining on her behalf.
    Someone should've put the brakes on Bill back then sooner than they did. If you let folks that are speaking on your behalf say things about your opponent that are not decent, you might as well have said them yourself as the candidate.
    Come 2016 I get the feeling that I might be back to voting for the lesser of two evils, not so much because I was inspired.
    I think you know of what I speak Dutch.

March 24, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  14. MikeinNM

What if Michelle Obama was Hillary's VP selection?
    Michelle O in '24? (through 2032?)
    THen it'll have been, since 1988 – 2032 (44 years): Bush I, Clinton I, Bush II, Obama I, Clinton II, Obama II.
    I'll take Clinton II (Hillary) over Bush III (Jeb).

March 24, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  15. clevercandi

Speaking as a Floridian...PLEASE DO NOT VOTE JEB BUSH INTO THE WHITE HOUSE

March 24, 2014 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  16. Ol' Yeller

If you had to vote for one of them, then you need to ask yourself.... would I rather go back to Bill Clinton's administration and the booming economy, yet have to endure an onslaught of the (lbrul) media's wall to wall coverage of a b j....
    or, would I rather go back to 2 unfunded wars, daily fear (orange, yellow, red, get your duct tape and plastic sheeting yellow, red, orange), a massive wealth giveaway to the bankers and billionaires, grand theft election, and the bush economy which led to the second greatest depression in our country's history?
    I think the answer it pretty clear (for all non-numb skulls)

March 24, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. herchato

Two politicians of different parties appearing to agree about something important? To give us hope that they can actually work together for the people! Nope, just two pros doing what most pros do at anything, which is making sure they remain the king or queen of their little hill.

March 24, 2014 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. Aris

"Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....
    AA is needed to at least try and level the playing field. Why should a bright minority student not get into a good college but one barely maintaining a 2.0 but with a rich daddy should? "

Nice try, but here's the real question: Why is our education system's ranking just above those of the 3rd world?
    Because we lowered the bar, so that more students can jump over it. The 'A' in one school is not better than a 'C' in another. A number of reasons for that: Parents, School, personal motivation.
    Good teachers can make the difference, but if the teachers cant get to and from school without the fear of violence, or not be able to teach in a high school classroom because of kindergarten behavior, what do you expect?
    When students are more interested on how they shake vs how they study, or hang out on the corner vs the library or at home studying, how do you expect to learn anything, through osmosis? If so, good luck. AA does nothing more that promote that negative result. One yard stick. One scale. AA may have been good for a few, but has failed many more.

March 24, 2014 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Can't wait to see Grover Norquist and the GOBP stuff Jeb Bush down the tea potty's throats 2012 Mitt the twit style.

March 24, 2014 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  20. Silence DoGood

@MrObvious
    -----------
    Wow – it has been so long since the GOP allowed negotiation, we forget what it looks like to disagree and still get along.

March 24, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. Elmo

It sure would be a great thing for our Country if they were to run on the same ticket. 99.9% chance this would never happen but I think it would restore some faith in our Govt that has been almost completely lost from the American people.

March 24, 2014 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  22. Gurgyl

I endorse Hillary16.

March 24, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. erin

Quality of candidates over Quotas!!! Yes, stop affirmative action everywhere, not only in education. Give help early in life to poor and underprivileged REGARDLESS THE RACE!

March 24, 2014 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  24. oharris30

Actually, looking at the republican party today, Jeb looks good compared to the bunch of loonies left. I say this as a democrat. The republican party today is an embarrassment. Will never forget their low poll number. not numbers. that says it all for me.

March 24, 2014 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |