Alabama candidate takes aim at Obamacare
March 26th, 2014
8 months ago

Alabama candidate takes aim at Obamacare

(CNN) - A U.S. House candidate in Alabama is literally shooting down Obamacare.

A video released by his campaign on Wednesday, shows Will Brooke using a variety of firearms to destroy a copy of the Affordable Care Act.

The ad begins with Brooke seated on the bed of a truck next to a stack of paper that he says is a copy of the law championed by the President.

The ad is titled "Let's Do Some Damage."

Brooke then drives off in truck, displaying a bumper sticker that reads "I prefer the dangers of a limited government!"

He arrives in a wooded area, loads the Obamacare papers into a wooden box starts shooting.

"We're down here to have a little fun today and talk about two serious subjects: the Second Amendment, and see how much damage we can do to this copy of Obamacare," he says in the ad.

After blasting it rhetorically and literally, Brooke loads the health care copy into a wood chipper and shreds what was left of it.

Brooke's campaign video was first reported by The Daily Caller.

Brooke is one of seven Republican candidates vying for the seat of retiring Rep. Spencer Bachus in the state’s 6th Congressional District.

The Alabama Republican isn't the first to use guns to hammer home a policy issue.

Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia used a rifle to "take dead aim at Cap and Trade" in a 2010 campaign ad against efforts to pass a sweeping environmental bill in Congress.

Republicans nationwide are aggressively campaigning against Obamacare, which aims to provide health coverage to millions of people without it. It passed Congress in 2010 without any Republican support. Republicans hope to expand their majority in the House and reclaim the Senate.

CNN's Dana Davidsen contributed to this report.

Filed under: Alabama • Obamacare • Republican Party
  1. Rudy NYC

JL wrote on page 9:

Conservatives have offered plenty of ideas such as health care savings accounts and allowing customers to shop across states. Both would help decrease the high costs of insurance and medical care. Two things by the way that ACA has not helped but made worse.
    -------------------------
    What makes you think that those ideas would actually save people money? Because some politician said it would? Use your head?

Conservatives have offered zero pieces of legislation, which means that they have offered nothing. We have had health care savings accounts for years, and they're a bane to consumers. If you do not use it all up each year, the insurer keeps it. That's brilliant for the insurers, though.

Crossing state lines? Let me tell you just how ridiculous that idea actually is. Buying health insurance is not like buying a gallon of milk, or a loaf of bread. The price is set by your own personal circumstances, not where you buy it. If you're a 40 year old in Ohio, then you're going to be a 40 year old person in Indiana. Crossing state lines changes nothing. except make it easier for insurers to raise rates. That's all.

Besides, they're not telling you that you must literally cross the state line in order to do it. If I sit in my house and order something online from Texas, then I any pay New York taxes that would apply because I made the purchase in NY not TX. Unless the change interstate commerce law, which they won't, "crossing state lines" from your living room changes nothing.

Like I said, use your head. Figure it out for yourself, instead of listening to what some bought and paid for politician says.

March 27, 2014 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

Bobilino

The commenter claiming 2/3's of America like Obamacare is on some serious hard drugs. Why do you think Dems are worried about losing the Senate?
    ---------------------
    Because of the number of seats up for grabs in red states and swing states.

March 27, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. Fair is Fair

Susan

The idea that no-one likes Obamacare is a lie. I have health coverage now only because I can't be denied because of my pre-existing medical issues.People who have good coverage are against the ACA just as the insurance companies will do anything they can to deny women coverage for birth control. Just keep blaming everything on "Liberals" and we will see how the next electoin turns out. Why do so called "Patriots" hate the majority of Americans, hate the president, and blame everything on the poor?
    --------
    Point #1 – Getting rid of pre-existings is a good part of the law, but it comes with a cost. As more and more people with pre-existings get lumped into the exchange plans, the more adverse the claim experience will turn out. This WILL lead to higher premiums. Of that there is NO doubt.

Point #2 – The reasons people with "good coverage" are against the ACA are many, but mostly for the not irrational fear that their "good coverage" is going to deteriorate due to increased cost. Also, see "If you like your pla, you can keep your plan. Period."

Point #3 – Insurance companies would MUCH rather pay for birth control (very inexpensive) than pay for a childbirth (very expensive). Have NO IDEA where you came up with that.

Point #4 – If you thing liberals are going to prosper touting the ACA, by almeans and absolutely GO FOR IT. Let me know how that works out for you.

March 27, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. Malory Archer

Bobilino

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually bobolino, I said NEARLY two thirds, as in SIXTY percent, which is correct. A quick search of the google will provide that fact for you real quick. Truth hurts but it is what it is, babe.

March 27, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  5. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

frespch

The answer to Obama care is simple, it is called a single payor.
    Everybody pays because everbody uses it, Period.
    -------––
    But there's no profit in that. So, it's bad for business. CEOs and executives at insurance companies are paid hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of dollars per year. Can you imagine the outrage and uproar if a government worker were paid that much money for an annual salary? Don't try to imagine it. You might go deaf, dumb, and blind.

Yet, conservatives seem to prefer a system that pays all of these high salaries to people ... just as long as they're in the private sector and not the public sector.
    -------
    Hey Rudy – did you know that the federal government does not do a single thing to administer Medicare and Medicaid claims? That whole process is contracted out to – wait for it – insurance companies. The only difference is that the funds to pay the providers of service are drawn off of the bank account of CMS. Even the software to run the claims payment is contracted out to EDS (now a part of Hewlett-Packard). So no, Rudy... your point about said salaries going to the public sector is about as null as it can be.

March 27, 2014 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  6. John Illinois

This is just a gigantic pile of welfare garbage that people do not want! People want the costs to go down and Obamacare does just the opposite....except for maybe freeloaders. The costs need to be addressed and NO to socialist single payer BS that you liberals really want!

March 27, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Burbank
    There is no way I can afford Obamacare, so I am going to have to let them fine me about $500 at the end of the year for being too poor to pay, old, white, female and single. Shame on them!
    -------------------------------------------------
    Why don't you have Medicare/Medicaid?
    Sounds like you'd qualify for that?
    I must tell you that the first sentence of your post almost made me bust my gut laughing.
    Thanks for that, and I'm sorry if your story was real and not the made up tripe that we often come across from so-called conservatives on this site.

March 27, 2014 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Arun

What an idiot!! The repubes have tried over 50 to get rid of the ACA. What is their plan?? NOTHING!! Repubes just talk and don't do anything else. What has this party done in the past 5 years, not a damn thing!!

March 27, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  9. Get a Clue

Malory Archer

Joe

Why should I be compelled to subsidize other peoples' poor lifestyle decisions?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What if you have an accident? Who is going to pay for YOUR poor decision to stick the rest of US with your medical expenses?
    _____________________
    I am, that is why I have LTD insurance as well as medical insurance, the poster was talking about....oh nevermind you liberals are clueless partisans as always, it is like talking to a brick wall...

March 27, 2014 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Burbank
    -----------------
    Why don't you have Medicare/Medicaid?
    Sounds like you'd qualify for that?
    --------------------
    It's all a lie. Don't waste your breathe on someone trying for Hannity's next show. It's my understanding that California offers some of the lowest rates in the country because of the mere simple fact that there are so many companies competing for customers. That person appears to be either willfully misinformed, or is willfully misinforming.

March 27, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  11. Me

Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wow. I wonder why CNN not reporting that Ca Dem State Sen Leland Lee has been indicted on weapons trafficking! Now that is something the people need to know about
    -----------------
    Are you new here? CNN doesn't report anything unless it absolutely has to.
    Thweir motto should be " First to know, last to tell".
    And yes I understand you were trying to start some ish with the guy being a Dem and all, but quite frankly you're being predictably boring so I thought I'd pass on the outrage.
    ______________________
    Boring only because it is a Dem, if that would have been a repub you would be crying all day long. Just as you have been with this guy and don't mention that a DEM did the SAME thing a little while back!!! Were you up in arms about him doing the same thing??? Nope, typical partisan hack!!!

March 27, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Me

Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Burbank
    -----------------
    Why don't you have Medicare/Medicaid?
    Sounds like you'd qualify for that?
    ________________
    You are sick, laugh at someone's misfortune, typical "tolerant" liberal I guess!! Next time you tell of some hard times you have had, I will be sure to laugh at you!

March 27, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  13. Me

James Richter

Just how large a font did he have to use to make it take up that much paper? Both parts of the ACA in total are just over 1000 pages, as downloaded as a PDF.
    ________________
    I take it you haven't seen the full bill with all requirements, rules, etc, it is closer to 20k pages!!! I took a health economics course in college right after the ACA passed and the full bill, rules, requirements, ect is HUGE, we couldn't even get through the whole bill in one semester, not even a fourth of it! You are looking at some summarized version most likely.

March 27, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

Me wrote:

-----–
    Why don't you have Medicare/Medicaid?
    Sounds like you'd qualify for that?

------------------------
    Maybe it was funny because all of it is a lie. For starters, the penalty for the first year is not $500, not even close.

March 27, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  15. Lisa P.

Me

Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Burbank
    -----–
    Why don't you have Medicare/Medicaid?
    Sounds like you'd qualify for that?
    ________________
    March 27, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm
    --------------------------

Do you remember the story of the boy who cried, "Wolf?" It's a lot like the story of the Republican who cried, "Obamacare ruined my health insurance!" Perhaps it has, but after the first twenty or so were shown to be ignorant, misinformed, or outright liars, people are not too likely to take number 21 at their word without substantial proof.

March 27, 2014 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. augiebendoggie

Will Brooke is my man. Let's see how fast those dems can run "like pigs from a gun."

March 27, 2014 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Me who responded to my posts with:
    AND
    -------------------------------------------------
    I've read many of your posts me and quite frankly I don't care what you think of me or my comments.
    Fake outrage until you wear yourself out.
    Have a nice day.

March 27, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rudy and Lisa P.
    You probably handled "Me" better than I did.
    I just couldn't be so bothered with the usual bs from folks that live to go from one partisan-induced fake outrage outburst to another.
    I thank you for your input.

March 27, 2014 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Rudy NYC
    -------------------------------------------------
    It smelled fishy. All of it.
    And yes, I had to laugh outloud about the part where she knew she was going to be discriminated against because they asked what color she was...her being White and all.
    Just the re-telling has me in stitches. Evidently Me failed to see the humor in that. Oh well.

March 27, 2014 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. skarphace

HM8432

"That's because there is no Republican plan, nor is there a need for them to come-up with one."

This must be coming from somebody who can afford health insurance. For the working poor, those that work but do not make enough to cover their family's health coverage, some sort of government funded health care is a must. I knew of many people that only used the emergency room for their care and were very happy when they finally got covered under the ACA.

Bottom line: the ACA will never be fully repealed unless it is replaced with a plan that covers the people who now have insurance. The ACA is now the new Medicare. You will hear Republicans railing for it's repeal, but they will shut up just as soon as they hear the screams from their voters. Any politician who insists on repeal without replace will be voted out of office.

March 27, 2014 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  21. skarphace

I loved how Michelle Bachmann, a few months back, claimed that she had lost her health care due to ObamaCare. At first I was confused, because as a Representative, she is covered by the Government, but then I remembered: Bachmann can only speak in Fox News talking points.

She got the memo, clearly misunderstood it (she was supposed to say, "I know of someone who lost their health care due to ObamaCare"), and was caught in a lie. Par for the course for Teapublicans.

March 27, 2014 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  22. Jerry

HM8432:That's because there is no Republican plan, nor is there a need for them to come-up with one. The government needs to stay out of health insurance. By their own logic, they should be nationalizing auto/homeowner's insurance as well. If you still think Big Government is the answer, go visit an Indian Reservation, a VA Hospital, or your local DMV, to see how well they run 'big things'...

I have been to a VA hospital since my father uses the VA system for his primary health care and let me tell you he has had no issues with them at all and has been quite happy with the service he recieves from them with very minimal complaints.

The pure fact is that there is a need for all people in this country to have access to some form of health care and insurance even if it means a single payer system than so be it.

March 27, 2014 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  23. Joe

WOW that's constructive I'm sure that will resolve the medical industry coverage problem in America as well as poverty and job growth and child education funding, and ozone depletion. I'm impressed.

March 27, 2014 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |