Reid says his granddaughter is being harassed
March 27th, 2014
4 months ago

Reid says his granddaughter is being harassed

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says his granddaughter Ryan Elisabeth Reid has received “harassing phone calls” and “negative attention on the internet” since word surfaced that Reid’s campaign paid thousands of dollars last year for items from a jewelry store she owns that were given to supporters as gifts.

“As a grandparent, I say enough is enough,” Reid said in a statement.

The unusual emotional plea came just as the amount of money Reid will repay his campaign doubled to more than $31,000 after additional payments to the jewelry company were found in Federal Election Commission filings from 2012.

“My granddaughter has been the target of harassing phone calls, strangers tracking her down and knocking on her door and negative, unwanted attention on the internet. This has gone too far and it needs to stop now. I deeply regret any role I had in creating this situation but now, as a grandparent, I say enough is enough,” Reid said in a statement released late Wednesday.

“I am reimbursing my campaign for the amount spent on thank-you gifts produced by my granddaughter, a professional and talented artist who produced gifts for my staff and supporters that had a personal connection to my family and my hometown of Searchlight, Nevada,” Reid said.

“I believe my granddaughter is a very talented individual and I admire her work tremendously, but I've decided that it would be best to pay for her work out of my own pocket. My office is reviewing our records to ensure that we reimburse my campaign for the full amount.”

On Tuesday, Reid announced he would repay his campaign nearly $17,000 for purchases from Ryan Elisabeth Reid’s company.

That decision came after the FEC sent Reid’s campaign a formal letter requesting additional details about payments that were noted in the filings as being for “holiday gifts.”

The FEC did not say why it wanted more information about the payments.

Filed under: FEC • Harry Reid • Nevada
  1. Malory Archer

Senator Reid's granddaughter needs to invest in a handgun and a few lessons at her local range, and when strangers come knocking she needs to use her new acquisition.

March 27, 2014 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. Name jk. Sfl. THE KOCH BROTHERS SUBVERSIVE GOP STOOGES PARTY NEEDS to be VOTED OUT IN NOVEMBER !!!!

GOP Koch brothers DIRTY TRICKS, anybody WANs bet me 10,000 dollars??????

March 27, 2014 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Is it against campaign rules and regs to purchase staff gifts from a company or source owned by a family member of the candidate?
    If so Reid has been around too long not to have known better.
    If not, then it begs the question why he feels compelled to put those many thousands of dollars back in the coffers out of his own pocket.
    Sounds like Reid got caught doing something not quite kosher.
    @ smith
    Youhave a quirky sense of humor and a way of being a rabble-rouser that I actually enjoy. Thanks for the many giggles that your infamous/famous one-liners often produce in me.

March 27, 2014 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross......

Of course she has. These people hate you Senator Reid because you don't hate the POTUS. Just like they hate Hillary for working with him.

March 27, 2014 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. Jan Nappylotto

But Harry... You told everyone that the reason that Obamacare enrollment numbers are bad is because people aren't smart enough to use the Internet! How can people put negative things on the internet about your granddaughter if they aren't smart enough to use it?

March 27, 2014 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. CALIFORNIA

Sorry Reid but I can not believe such a blatant liar.

March 27, 2014 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. guest

worst idea ever malory. You do not shoot people for knocking on your door. Thus the major problem with no gun regulatrions, you will be shot for knocking on other people's door. We are a nation of communities, you should never fear knocking on your neighbor's door.

March 27, 2014 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Raf VA

Reid is on his last days as a Leader and Senator.

March 27, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. bill

anything ANYTHING to get people to feel sorry for this wizard of oz looking person--was political contributions given to his granddaughter???

March 27, 2014 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. Silence DoGood

@CALIFORNIA
    Sorry Reid but I can not believe such a blatant liar.
    ----------–
    What evidence do you have that he is lying about people harassing his grand-daughter?
    Or is this one of those right wing rumor fill in forms?
    Sorry (Obama or other Dem or GOP purity test failure), but I can believe such a (blatant liar or socialist dictator).

March 27, 2014 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  11. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross......

Sorry guest but a young woman in Michigan got the entire back of her head blown off for knocking on someone's door seeking help after an auto accident. It does happen.

March 27, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

guest

----------------------
    Bad news, sport. People do get shot for simply knocking on someone's door.

I guess that you didn't hear about the poor woman who knocked on someone's door last year and was shot in the face with a shotgun. It happened just outside of Detroit. The man who shot her claimed he feared for his life, and so he was standing his ground when the weapon accidentally discharged.

March 27, 2014 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. Reggie53

The people should be harassing you Harry Reid and maybe that make you quit the Senate sooner than later. You know the rules and you still used your campaign funds to pay her. I suppose you were hoping it would have been overlooked. I am sure if it was a republican, Harry Reid would one of the first to say that this person should resign. Well, Mr. Reid time for you to resign......you have passed retirement age now.

March 27, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  14. Jim

Ha Ha Harry! Your own corruption bites your family members Boo Hoo!

March 27, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  15. CALIFORNIA

Silence DoGood
    @CALIFORNIA
    Sorry Reid but I can not believe such a blatant liar.
    ----–
    Or is this one of those right wing rumor fill in forms?
    -------
    Same amount of proof Reid had about Romney's taxes. Turn about is fair play.

March 27, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. barryinlasvegas

Another lie by Reid to try and deflect attention from his unethical actions and illegally using campaign money to pay off favors.

March 27, 2014 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  17. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Sharon Angle and the Guns Over People tea potty bumpkin wingnuts gave Harry Reid and the Democrats the Senate on a silver platter. Don't forget that.

March 27, 2014 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  18. sonnie3

H Reid is dragging his own off spring into the corrupt world of dems for early education on how the dems work.
    Shame on you Harry. Just because you are corrupt/ don't think your relation has to be also

March 27, 2014 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  19. jboh

Typical of TEA/GOP clowns. They are the worst people to ever live in USA. Maybe the Koch roaches can hire their Blackwater brownshirts to deal with this. Nothing but slime.

March 27, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  20. Fair is Fair

Hey Harry... none of this would have happened if you used common sense and didn't utilize your granddaughter's shop in the first place... you know, that kind of thing reeks of malfeasance.

Oh wait... common sense... never mind.

March 27, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. ajh nyc

So if one is a nepotistic human who funnels cash from political "donors" throught his granddaughters business, said recipient of the "gifting" do-re-mi is exempt from scrutiny? A human of Mr. Reid's age, more than likely has a grandchild who is an adult and therefore open to comment. Use of the word grandchild may be accurate in this case, although I'm sure she is no child. He put the cross hairs on her back by using her. This man is a politician and will say ANYTHING and do ANYTHING to hold onto his money train including USEING said granddaughter. I would not be surprised if he got a cut or is part "owner" of the store.

March 27, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  22. tom l

Some animals are more equal than others. Just another fine example of one of our wonderful politicians who thinks that they are above the law. The fact that this man can just cut a check for that much money and it's no skin off his back should show you just how disgusting our "representatives" are. Nepotism at its height and if you think this is the only example of this man doing this I have a bridge to sell you (let's just make sure it's not in NJ because you might not get full value ;) ). If he wants to give art as a gift, I heard that George Bush is a great painter now...

March 27, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  23. Dominican mama 4 Obama

guest

worst idea ever malory. You do not shoot people for knocking on your door.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Oh I don't know about that.
    There was that person down south (Florida?) that opened fire on a stranded motorist that knocked on their door for assistance not too long ago.
    The motorist was Black but I really don't think that had anything to do with it....or did it?
    Either way....it happenned.

March 27, 2014 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  24. tom l

CALIFORNIA

Silence DoGood
    @CALIFORNIA
    Sorry Reid but I can not believe such a blatant liar.
    --–
    Or is this one of those right wing rumor fill in forms?
    ---
    Same amount of proof Reid had about Romney's taxes. Turn about is fair play.
    =====

Well played, Cali.

March 27, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  25. Smitty

Karma can be a bummer, im sure it sucks being related to harry.

March 27, 2014 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |