April 1st, 2014
6 months ago

Red Sox Nation converges on the White House

Washington (CNN) - Chicago White Sox fan-in-chief President Obama honored the Boston Red Sox at the White House on Tuesday for their 2013 World Series championship, but he slipped in a quick plug for his hometown team while greeting the defending champs.

“Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox and Red Sox Nation. Good luck this season. May the best Sox win,” Obama said.

Speaking just three weeks before the first anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, the President honored the team’s support for the victims of the attack.

“With every game they played, the sons of Fenway never forgot what it meant to wear the Boston uniform,” Obama said.

“When they visited bombing victims in the hospital, when they played ball with kids getting cancer treatment, when they started a program to help wounded warriors get treatment at Mass General - these guys were saying, we’re all on the same team.”

Looking out at the crowd, which was filled with White House officials and notable New Englanders, the President acknowledged that he’s slightly outnumbered as a Chicago fan in the current White House.

“I have to say, you all have some fanatical fans,” the President said, flanked by Red Sox players on the steps of the South Lawn. “And many of them occupy my administration and the White House. Look at my White House photographer - he’s been thinking about this day all week.”

Photographer Pete Souza sported a Red Sox cap for the occasion, along with several other members of the Obama Administration. Press Secretary Jay Carney showed his Boston pride alongside his family, as did Senior Advisor David Simas.

Deputy Director of the Office of Management and Budget Brian Deese, a Massachusetts native, was also in the audience, as was Senior Communications Advisor Tara McGuinness, also a Red Sox fan.

United States Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power tweeted a picture of her four-year-old son – sporting a Red Sox t-shirt – in the arms of Boston slugger David Ortiz at the White House reception held after the event.

Ortiz made a splash on Twitter earlier in the day by asking President Obama to take a "selfie" with his cell phone as the rest of the team prepared for the official team picture.

“What an honor! Thanks for the #selfie,” Ortiz wrote, posting the picture in a tweet that was quickly shared more than 18,000 times.

Former Obama Speechwriter Jon Favreau returned to the White House to be in the audience for his favorite team’s visit, and Assistant Press Secretary Matt Lehrich, also a Boston native, stood with the press to support the Sox.

Boston fandom was even bipartisan on Tuesday, as New Hampshire’s Republican Senator Kelly Ayotte shared a picture online of herself with Ortiz, and Speaker John Boehner’s Press Secretary, Michael Steel, turned up without his boss to cheer on the Sox.

Even one Boston celebrity made it out to the event. Actor and comedian Dennis Leary stood behind the crowd to see his team honored by the President.

Filed under: Massachusetts • President Obama • White House
  1. Fair is Fair

My beloved Sox – the first 3-time world champions of the 21st century. The sweetest, of course, was 2004, coming back from down 3 in the ALCS and forcing the Yankees to eat one of the biggest chokes of all time. The frosting on that cake was Opening Day 2005 when they were presented with their rings while the Yankees were in town to play. Good times... awesome times!!!!

April 1, 2014 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Silence DoGood

Next on Fox: "The first thing an evil dictator does is honor a baseball team"

April 1, 2014 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  3. O'drama ya Mama

Fair is Fair

April 1, 2014 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Celebrate when you hit double digit wins. Lets Go Yankees!!

April 1, 2014 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. tom l

Go Dodgers!

April 1, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  5. Wes

The 44 represents the true number of people who actually signed up and paid for obama care.

April 1, 2014 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Thomas

Go A's , all the way !

Glenn Beck is an ENTERTAINER !

April 1, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Hey, folks. I'm gonig on a sabbatical in the near future. I'm giving the Matrix of Leadership to Gurgyl.
    --–
    I doubt we'll notice the difference.

What's going on, Rudy... going to press some license plates for a spell?
    =======================================================
    I was in a car accident a year ago. I was rear ended waiting at a red light. I'm still feeling the effects of my head slamming the roof of the car in my lower back. They're trying to decide whether I'll suffer more with a disc out of alignment [not quite herniated], or would surgery prove to be worse in the long run. Personally, I think it is just the extended cold weather that has had me in agony an hour or two every other day.

April 1, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  8. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

––
    I doubt we'll notice the difference.

What's going on, Rudy... going to press some license plates for a spell?
    =======================================================
    ------
    Sorry to hear that, Rudy. Get well soon!

April 1, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

bcrunner

Fair is Fair and his righ wing friends are constantly telling us to stop blaming Bush for an economy that has not recovered completely. Yet, they keep trying to blame Clinton for it. Without any concrete reasons to point to. They also forget that Bush was one of the biggest proponets of home ownership.

Fair: Please google Bush's speeches on the subject. I will never forget listening to him on the radio one day years ago saying... "you don't have to settle for any home... you can buy a beautiful home.." Maybe those were not the exact words, but basically he was telling the listeners that you don't need to settle for something you can afford... I was stunned hearing this.... Please google it!!
    ================================================
    That's exactly right about the Bush speeches. The year was 2004, and he was introducing the benefits of the ADDI. I hit the floor when he began encouraging people to take out mortages without seeking professional advice, because changes to the wording of loans has been so simplified that the expense of expert legal advice wasn't required. Mortgages were going to be as easy, and as common, as auto loans. They were. And most of the deceptive loans did not go to low income earners. They went to middle class families who had rented all of their lives.

April 1, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. Rudy NYC

Fair wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Rudy. Get well soon!
    -----------------------–
    Thank-you, madam. I am honored. I suspect that I'm going to have occasional back pains for life. They are easing in intensity, though, as more time passes. I just hoping that they'd hurry up and wear themselves out. I be still for too long, which means I can sometimes wake up with a, "Freeze! Don't move. Let go of the blanket and back away from it slowly."

April 1, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. Pat

The Boston Red Soxs did not win. Somehow they cooked the books!!!!!
    You were seeing things!!!!!!!

April 1, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Rudy

Hey, Rudy. Hoping for the best for you!

April 1, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. Lynda/Minnesota

tom l
    Go Dodgers!
    ------

I'd say "Go Twins" but I've not watched a Twins game since they demanded (and got) their new stadium. They haven't won much of anything since.

Three stadiums in my lifetime is two too many.

April 1, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  14. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Take it easy Rudy, and feel better soon!

April 1, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

Lynda/Minnesota

@ Rudy

Hey, Rudy. Hoping for the best for you!
    ----------------------
    Thank-you. I think it has mostly been the long idle winter and the extended cold. Maybe it's been too much shoveling for neighbiors, although I do it in short spurts so I can rest up properly at my age. The stabbing pains have gotten worse these past several weeks, though. I think I just need more exercise and outdoor activities ... like a beer summit next to the smoker.

April 1, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  16. Tampa Tim

Pat, you are absolutely correct! I did not see anything about the Red Sox winning on Hannity, so it did not happen.

And Rudy, hope you are 100% soon and back correcting the evils from the dark side, right wing politics.

April 1, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Rudy:

------

Yeah. I hear you !

Take care ... it HAS been one long miserable winter.

April 1, 2014 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |