April 4th, 2014
9 months ago

Nancy Pelosi on Hillary Clinton, women in politics: 'I never expected anything but a double standard'

(CNN) - House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said Friday if there's a double standard for women in power, Hillary Clinton's felt it.

In an interview with CNN's Candy Crowley, the top House Democrat said, "If Hillary Clinton thinks there is a double standard - she's been in the main event, and that is a presidential race - then I respect that."

Watch more of Pelosi's interview with Candy Crowley on CNN's "State of the Union," Sundays at 9 a.m. / 12 p.m. ET

Pelosi's comments follow remarks Clinton made Thursday at a women's forum in New York, lamenting what she billed as a double standard for women in the workplace. Clinton pointed to the media as being the biggest propagator of that imbalance.

For her part, Pelosi said she "never expected anything but a double standard" though, "I don't know if it's the media or whether people say things that's news that you have to cover."

Pelosi, 74, has represented California for over two decades. She was the first woman to lead a major congressional party, as well as the first female speaker of the House, serving from 2007 to 2011.

"Let me just say as one who has been speaker of the House, I've had to have a very thick skin about every kind of thing that was thrown at me," she said.

Pelosi said women with political aspirations have told her they decide against running for office to shield their families from the intense media scrutiny of a female candidate that men might not face.

Clinton is considered the overwhelming frontrunner for the Democratic nomination should she decide to step into the 2016 presidential race.

The former secretary of state, first lady and 2008 presidential candidate has been outspoken in recent public appearances about the challenges facing women, particularly those in positions of power.

Clinton appeared at the New York event with International Monetary Fund chair Christine Lagarde.

The two high-profile female political figures participated in a question and answer session where they discussed a wide range of topics, one of which was women pursuing career ambitions.

Both were asked about their respective prospects for higher office - and both declined to answer.

CNN Political Producer Rachel Streitfeld contributed to this report.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2016 • Hillary Clinton • Nancy Pelosi • TV-State of the Union
  1. GunnerGA

The author forgot that Hillary Clinton was also a two-term Senator!!! An amazing oversight given she served longer as New York's Senator than she did as the First Lady – yet the author remembered her as the wife of Bill Clinton and forgot her more important role representing one of our most populous states. Double standards start at home.

April 5, 2014 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  2. Neutral Observer

Here is another example of the dregs rising to the top. We all know how people who do not inform themselves to the issues are rightfully criticized for being ignorant voters. How much more should she be for voting for and pushing legislation that she has not done due diligence in understanding by even reading through it. Yes we get what we vote for and so goes another tragedy due to voter ignorance

April 5, 2014 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  3. Rich

You are all wrong. The democrats in here are talking trash to the republicans for stereotypes which aren't true. And republicans are being shallow. You all are what's wrong with America these days. Pelosi is an idiot, she said we need to pass the affordable care act to see what's in it. Isn't that her job to know what's in it? And whoever that first moron is on this thread, no one is giving out healthcare are you that naive to what is happening?

April 5, 2014 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. Chuck

It will be a very happy day when Pelosi and Reid step down from office
    theya re 100% NUTZ

April 5, 2014 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  5. JminNM

Not surprising to hear from someone who doesn't have any standards, who practices situational ethics.

April 5, 2014 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  6. Gunderson

Aw, Gee,
    We know Nancy Blowing Smoke. P.T. Barnum say there's a sucker born every minute. Many Post here, on regular basis. Either take charge of your life or call your Nanny!

April 5, 2014 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. Topgun 74

I think its hilarious that Pelosi thinks there is a double standard. Just look at all the stuff that was said and dug up about Obama, Romney, and Bush. And Pelosi should talk. She is mainly responsible for the criticism sent her way. Her infamous we have to pass the bill to find out what's in it and other such gaffs. Her attempts to ban the right to bear arms and then we find out she has carried a gun herself for protection.

April 5, 2014 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  8. bcrunner

@Yolanda: Lady, Smile and get a sense of humor please!!!

April 5, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  9. Karen

Ask Chris Matthews, he pinched her cheek when he interviewed her during her run against Obama.

April 5, 2014 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  10. Collhi

This is the same Nancy that threw Hillary under the bus in the 2008 primaries? She should be referencing the "catty female" stereotype instead...

April 5, 2014 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. glen

What exactly has she done but thrown 4 americans to the wolves in benghazi... and acted as monica's boyfriend's wife.
    Besudes that SHE HAS DONE ZERO. ZERO! ... and you sheep want her to lead this country after the Liar-In-Chief?

April 5, 2014 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. Anonymous

Huh? Nancy who?

April 5, 2014 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  13. Lynda/Minnesota

@ Me
    Lynda/Minnesota

Apparently you require way more attention than I am willing to extend to you.

I wish you the best of days, Me.
    ________________________
    I am not sure what you mean by that, I did not expect or even care about a reply.

But I do hope you have a good day and weekend as well!
    -----------–

You stated that you read posts daily, so hopefully my response will make it to you today. I am not interested in insults directed at one another, Me. I never have been. (And yes, this is one of the reasons I very rarely make comments on the ticker anymore.) Nor do I babysit those who require attention by insulting others in one comment after another and then try and fuel the flames further by trying to direct attention to other bloggers in a snit fit of but so and so said.

You also stated I lied by your suggestion that I directed my comment to some particular person when in fact were you to reread my comment I never mentioned any one person in my comment: indeed it was nothing more than general snark which you apparently took personally even though as I have stated I never mentioned anyone specific. That is your problem, not mine.

You stated I have somehow not been able to live with my conscience due to what you perceive to be my "lies" and thus I have been forced to stop commenting; or some such other lame blame reasoning on your part.

All very personal and directed AT me for whatever your personal reasoning. That being said, I've stopped commenting because quite frankly the ticker has become nothing but a garden variety of back and forth bickering of the most juvenile type. I graduated from grade school decades ago and left the rubber and glue "am not ... am too" back in grade school.

Winter has come to its end here in Minnesota. As has politics ... for me anyway.

April 5, 2014 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  14. don in albuquerque

glen

Other then not being able to prove anything about Benghazi, I would think Liar-In-Chief would put the presidsent in pretty good standing with the GOTP. After all, since that dubious award began the Republican Party has won it twice, Palin-once, and Mittwitt-once. In all fairness the Dem Party also got one. We are trying to keep up but the GOTP is still winning.

April 5, 2014 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. NameFrank Deery

Pelosi, who co-authored, then rammed the lousey health care bill through Cingress without proper debate or explanation, had her
    "glass ceiling" moment, but blew it. Her lack of diplomacy with Republicans and extremist
    Agenda might work in San Francisco(she is my rep in SF), but not nationally. She was Speaker for 2 years.

Hillary Clinton is a better person and politician than Pelosi, and more moderate, but tied to two bad male Presidents now (her husband and Obama), who have thwarted her advance with either their big mouths/ego
    ( her husband in So Carolina 2008) or with a
    Namby-pamby foreign policy(Obama).

To win in 2016, she has to dump both!
    Will she?

April 5, 2014 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. Bea

Hillary was responding to Tom Friedman's question. She's not the type to pound her chest while decrying: Alas, woe is me. Of course there's a double standard, and it works regardless of party. Hillary and Palin are just two of the women who were subjected to it.

As for Pelosi, where was she in 2008? Oh yeah, twisting super delegate arms to convince them to switch to Obama, even in states where Hillary had won. I also recall her saying repeatedly to the media that, if Obama chose Hillary as his VP, he would be making a mistake. So know she pretends to be Hillary's friend? Please, the hypocrite can go to he!!.

April 5, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  17. Neutral Observer

father of 4, just think for a moment about your last comment. I am no Republican, but to be fair, let's take a quick look at the record. Teddy K: kills a woman while cheating on his wife and goes on to be one of the "lions" of the democrat party. In fact, I should just say K and not limit it to Teddy, for that democrat family it is a rite of passage to cheat on their wives, rape and get into auto / plane crashes while never having to account for it. Then there is good slick willy, another one who for sure was doing an intern at work and who has been accused of forcible rape by not one but several women. How about the appropriately named Mr Wiener. The list goes on and on. Heck, father, if the dems are your party "for" women rights, jeeze, you don't even need any that are against.

April 5, 2014 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  18. YoonYoungJo

I'm not sure where Pelosi and Hillary get the idea of a double standard. Don't get me wrong in a huge pro Hillary fan and would love it if she won the next race but I really wouldn't call what female candidates face a double standard. I would call it bias but not on the same level as a double standard. After all if a male candidate is caught cheating on ther spouse it ranks their senate/congress aspirations just as much as a female candidate. I agree their is bias in the work place. There really is no excuse for a woman getting paid less for the same caliber work a man does, its unacceptable. But to say its a double standard is a bit of a stretch. I consider a double standard more in the realm is serious offenses. Such as allowing freedom of speech for some and squelching it for others. Or as in example in the work place, if a woman were to get fired for taking the same days off a man did. This doesn't mean there is a lot of bias, too much bias especially in the work place. But double standard, at least to me has to have a little more profound difference. Like championing truth, justice and liberty yet engaging in deceit, injustice and oppression. But that's just my opinion.

April 5, 2014 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  19. ThinkAgain - Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

@Wes: "Pelosi on the other hand makes me throw up in my mouth a lot. To the point I almost choke"

I suggest you get into therapy to work out your mommy issues.

April 5, 2014 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. Pitchforker

Men never get media r4ped. Just us poor helpless women. Woe is us. Men make our lives so hard.

April 5, 2014 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  21. rs

The wonder of Republicans: They viscerally despise any legislature who tries to make life better in America, yet to date over these 6 long years they have done nothing positive for the majority; they have kept their wealthy plutocrats happy; and they have hacked away at civil rights and voting rights and women's rights under the guise of "sincerely held religious beliefs" (that certainly don't appear to be Christian-based)- and somehow they expect to win a popular election?

Good luck, boys, good luck.

April 5, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  22. greasemonkey

Like it or not. .....Hillary Clinton will be our next president. .....

April 5, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. drushsean

Alert!!!! State Dept. misplaced $6B under Hillary Clinton: IG report The media are burying this story of course.

April 5, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. don in albuquerque

Neutral

You really believe all your allegations about the Kennedy's. True a car crash could have been faked, but the subsequent investigation proved it was not. I really doubt that the young Kennedy was committing suicide when his plane crashed into the ocean. Gee, according to you JFK probably paid some one to shoot him so he would not have to talk about Marilyn......absolutely ridiculous. Take your meds.

April 5, 2014 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  25. God MAY NOT be a Liberal, but He IS a Democrat

The next Republican to be elected President will be a woman. This will occur sometime AFTER the Democrat put a female in the oval office. If Republican women want to hasten this along, they need to vote for Hillary in 2016. Only then will the GOP male-dominated power structure see the light and be willing to play catchup to the progressive party.

April 5, 2014 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |