April 7th, 2014
8 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. SoCal

Typical Politician. Ask about all the other times he DIDN'T get caught!

April 7, 2014 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  2. ghostwriter

Another moral republican failing to be moral.

Sooner or later, they will quit running on such nonsense. But not anytime soon, I'd wager.

April 7, 2014 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  3. Chris Asking Question

Why is this news? Didn't we have President of the United States that had an affair/had oral sex with an intern in the Oval Office and then later lie to his fellow Americans?

April 7, 2014 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  4. DR

“Sometimes the devil allows people to live a life free of trouble because he doesn't want people turning to God.
    Their sin is like a jail cell, except it is all nice and comfy and there doesn't seem to be any reason to leave.

The door's wide open.

Till one day time runs out and the door slams shut and suddenly it's too late to get out.”

April 7, 2014 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  5. GIUK

He's a good Republican. In fact, the perfect example of a Republican.

April 7, 2014 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  6. dike

lol must be from the same church where the pastor resigned...

April 7, 2014 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. njb902

Perhaps we could just get a list of politicians that haven't cheated on their significant other? It would have to be shorter right?

April 7, 2014 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  8. 2_indy1600

It's hard to believe anyone thinks they are not under very watchful eyes in today's social media world. Time for anyone in the public eye to become very paranoid, if that's what it takes to restrain oneself. These guys always get caught, go through the basic "forgiveness" steps, and are usually never heard from again. Then there are some who lie under oath to avoid confrontation. Hmmmm.

April 7, 2014 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  9. Jean

Hmm republican lawmaker kiss caught on tape makes CNN front page – where's the story about democrat Sharpton – that's bigger news about an often-times seedy democratic politiician who is running for reelection than a stupid kiss. Guess CNN is trying to protect the democrat Sharpton as long as they can until they are embarrassed into printing the story about Sharpton.

April 7, 2014 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  10. sly

First a Preacher Man earlier today, now a God-Ster politician.

I guess it is pretty clear that God-Sters have zero credibility.

No surprise to most of us, who pretty much ignore those with delusions, or at least seriously extreme opinions.

April 7, 2014 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  11. Lisa

you've got to be kidding!

April 7, 2014 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  12. heebeejeebee

Let's sick Kenneth Starr on him. Pull out all the stops, take him down.

April 7, 2014 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  13. sbul

When will the people learn that "conservative Christian" politicians use this "shield" to cover their sinful ways. After all, don't Christians teach that we are all sinners?

April 7, 2014 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  14. Nick

Ah, yet another of the Republican family values crowd.

April 7, 2014 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  15. so much for honesty

Another do as I say and not as I do Politician, corruption is rampant nation wide as lies are far more common than the truth.

April 7, 2014 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  16. Sniffit

"Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video"

"AFTER" being the operative word.

April 7, 2014 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  17. bp

Just resort to the standard GOP Playbook: talk about Benghazi, how gay marriage threatens us all, and how good Christians like yourself are determined to defend all that is right and good in America.

April 7, 2014 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  18. Greenspam

He didn't need to ask forgiveness from God, kids, constituents, staff... Just ask his wife, ok?

And God will not forgive him.

April 7, 2014 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  19. king

didn't someone advised mr mcalllister that the repubs have no room for truth and morality, those kind of things get in the way of repubs of taking back power. he will be vindicated immediately secretly and scolded publicly. the mission of taking back power is all the establishment sees, and the tea party only wants to get the dems out of power. so Mr mccalister all you have to do is say a bunch of bad things about Obama, and the tea buggers will love you. because when the tea party have your back, their is nothing the establishment nor the dems can do to you.

April 7, 2014 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  20. Larry L

I see he's done the requisite routine of asking God for forgiveness. He really is sorry he was caught. God needs to create a cell phone app so Republicans can quickly get forgiveness on-line. A few Democrats might want to check out that site as well...

April 7, 2014 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  21. david

family values, heh? what a joke.

April 7, 2014 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  22. John Doe

this is child's play compared to all the stuff you don't hear about

April 7, 2014 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  23. jnpa

Republicans claim to be so righteous. But it's been proven time and time again they're not!

April 7, 2014 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. JimBob

Shocking, just shocking! That fella found two women that like him and JimBob is still a one-man band.

April 7, 2014 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. Kevin

Good Lord! How long do we need to put up with this nonsense? I think someone who campaigns on Christian Values and turns around does this is criminal. He should resign along with any other politician that cheats on his wife, family and constituents.

April 7, 2014 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |