April 7th, 2014
6 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Craig

Christian Conservative, huh? Tell me what part of cheating on your wife is either Christian or Conservative? If you're gonna run on the Bible maybe you should try to live by it.

April 8, 2014 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  2. yogus56

It would be a surprise if he was not a christian conservative

April 8, 2014 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  3. tomservua

Completely unexpected.

Who would ever imagine a righteous Christian conservative would cheat on his wife? While promoting 'family values'? And attacking gay people?

Never. Couldn't happen. Not in a million years.

April 8, 2014 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  4. Loathstheright

Typical family values conservative....it won't matter to the Republican voters, as long as he says "God" somewhere in his sincere "I'm so sorry speech". Republican voters just love their criminals.

April 8, 2014 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  5. Gopher

Well its a GOP congressman. Did anyone expect anything less?

April 8, 2014 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  6. Brian Bauer

This isn't coming from a partisan perspective. I am a fiscal conservative/social liberal, and I generally vote the lesser of the two evils (to me), Republican.
    That all aside, does this guy not have someone to review his statement before release? Or, perhaps that was the staffer he was caught making out with. He has a few serious grammatical errors in there.

True to form though, CNN highlights a Republican Congressman who kissed a staffer but breezed over a prominent Democrat mayor a couple months ago in a corruption scandal.

April 8, 2014 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  7. dave

We know what Jesus said about adultery and adulterers – "Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone" and "go and sin no more". I hope the Congressman can stop sinning.

April 8, 2014 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  8. Bubba

Just another shining example of the GOP showing his true colors. Grab your forks, the GOP is done.

April 8, 2014 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  9. Robert Arnold

I don't care what he does, so long as he does his job. Who cares folks. I didn't care when Bill was caught and I don't care if this guy is caught either.

April 8, 2014 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  10. NobleNord

CNN is at it again, doing anything they can to smear anybody and anything that doesn't align with their own leftist views. Where's the story on California Senator Yee being indicted on gun trafficking charges? Selective reporting at its finest.

April 8, 2014 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  11. Scott

McAllister is just another stupid self centered politician. He is a fraud. And not a honest man. There is no doubt he would have continued his religious conservative charade if he was not caught.

April 8, 2014 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  12. longtimeduck

another "christian conservative" that is an adulterer. So, what else is new?

April 8, 2014 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  13. tellinthetruth

They're always "sorry" after they got caught – really, it's more like they're always sorry 'for" getting caught.

April 8, 2014 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  14. gustifer53

WOW, what happened to the almighty Conservative Christian who is suppose to have all these Morals and Values that they preach to everyone else. They are nothing but Bigots and Hypocrites.

April 8, 2014 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  15. Richard

Who are these women who are so quick to get involved with these clearly married representatives? Blame goes two ways.

April 8, 2014 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  16. Nice one

Love how CNN gets an article about a republican simply kissing an aide on their website within hours of it being breaking news but after several weeks has nothing about the democrat gun runner state politician Leland Yee of California.

April 8, 2014 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  17. dzerres

These Republicans and the evangelical pastors get sicker and sicker with each day. But what's really sad is that their supporters hang on to their every bs word about God, forgiveness, loving the wife, blah, blah, blah. And then somehow its all the fault of gay marriage and Obama being born in Kenya. You people are a bunch of sick puppies.

April 8, 2014 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  18. DKaru

Hypocrisy is what we, as Americans, abhor. This do as I say and not as I do or the I've sinned, and I ask for your forgiveness when you spend a great deal of time, judging others is total BS!

April 8, 2014 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  19. steve

Vance can commiserate with Bob Coy (for getting caught). "From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man." Right.

April 8, 2014 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  20. jondoe88

I hope he finds another job. I'd be happier if he couldn't take his benefits with him. But I guess he's perfect for his job – a lying cheater, begging for forgiveness! (after being caught)

April 8, 2014 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  21. vonn

Not another Republican?... LMAO!

April 8, 2014 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  22. curtis

Why does it always take getting caught for a politician to realize that what he did was wrong? The only time they are truly a Christian is when they need God"s help.

April 8, 2014 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  23. lee browning

More proof that do as I say...not as I do from the GOP! YET STILL...they want to campaign against the LGBT Community of having an agenda and that the sanctity of marriage is threatened by "Gay Marriage"
    These men are mostly rich white rep. Men who only want to keep women, minority poor (black/white/latino) & lgbt down with limited rights.
    Time and time again we see the very politician's who talk about less government ...railing to limit others rights creating laws that cause more government in our personal and social lives while they do what they want with who they want. America needs to wake up to the hypocracy of the religious right that has gripped the Grand Ole Party! That includes the Tea Party that also talks about less Gov.

April 8, 2014 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  24. Sandy E

Between this guy and Bob Coy, it's a banner day for "christian" conservatives! It's always the ones that are throwing stones at others that end up getting hit right on the head with one of them. Always good for a laugh though.

April 8, 2014 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  25. glauber

Nothing will come of this. Nothing ever does. When some dumb Democrat does it, even his own party pulls away from him. But when Republicans do it they circle the wagons. No one knows it better than Louisiana's own David Vitter.

April 8, 2014 02:19 am at 2:19 am |