April 7th, 2014
9 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Amazed

Guy should resign. He ran on a family values platform.

April 8, 2014 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  2. bobr431

I'm sure I that's all that was, a kiss. We all know how Republicans follow their religious cover, don't we.

April 8, 2014 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  3. Roger

Wanted:
    One honest, moral, hard working and loyal politician. Position open until filled.

Posted 1/20/1972

April 8, 2014 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  4. Old Salt

Sorry only because he got caught.....

April 8, 2014 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  5. repububparty

caught being a republican, naughty boy, nothing new..

April 8, 2014 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  6. 2kmaro

Can't keep his hands off the staff. Can't even spell the name of the organization he is associated with properly. No doubt this is one Republican that Obama will nominate for an Ambassadorship somewhere – if he learns how to drink like a Secret Service agent quick enough.

April 8, 2014 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  7. SixDegrees

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

April 8, 2014 03:51 am at 3:51 am |
  8. sorryhegotcaught

when a man cheats on his wife / best friend it displays a mans character. He's sorry he got caught!

April 8, 2014 03:52 am at 3:52 am |
  9. Kona

I guess the party of values values a good make-out session like the rest of the world.

April 8, 2014 03:54 am at 3:54 am |
  10. John in AZ

The fact that this representative is from a party I don't vote for will not distract me from the fact that this is NONE of our business. This is between this guy and his family. If I had to feel offended by anything, it would be the invoking of a god...not the adultery.

April 8, 2014 04:09 am at 4:09 am |
  11. That is fine

As long as he is a conservative he can do what he wants...ethical standards are meant only for democrats

April 8, 2014 04:10 am at 4:10 am |
  12. STR

No, your right, you TRIED to be an honest man and you ran for congress to be another politician. YOU GOT CAUGHT!! That's the only reason we are hearing from you. Once a cheat, ALWAYS a cheat.

April 8, 2014 04:10 am at 4:10 am |
  13. Lisa

The party of morals,and family values? The only thing he's sorry about is that he caught

April 8, 2014 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  14. gmyatko

Don't you mean that you are terribly sorry that you were caught?

April 8, 2014 04:38 am at 4:38 am |
  15. chuck

Politicians are politicians. I don't see how anyone could be remotely surprised by this.

April 8, 2014 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  16. Toltec1

I wish all people would realize no one is perfect and stop pretending that some are. Only you know if you're trying your best. I wonder if Willie Robertson knew about MaCallisters transgressions? I doubt it. Peace

April 8, 2014 04:59 am at 4:59 am |
  17. teapooper

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!! Christian Conservative... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !!! Is there such a thing?

April 8, 2014 05:16 am at 5:16 am |
  18. Brian House

A kiss was caught on camera. Looks like SEX has happened with the body language and the way they kissed.

April 8, 2014 05:18 am at 5:18 am |
  19. redhotmama

NOW he's thinking of his children? please.

April 8, 2014 05:28 am at 5:28 am |
  20. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Blah,blah,blah. Another canned GOP speech. Surprised that he didn't blame Obamacare.

April 8, 2014 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  21. BD70

All would be totally forgiven with these people if they were not so self righteous. Then they push their self righteousness as policy. When they fall short of "the glory of god" they tuck tail and hide behind privacy and forgiveness. We are all human and it sure is difficult to practice what you are preaching all the time.

April 8, 2014 05:42 am at 5:42 am |
  22. Jim Hadel

So much for Christian Conservative. Conservative yes. Christian no.

April 8, 2014 05:47 am at 5:47 am |
  23. fbmaxwell

"McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative."

What a surprise...

April 8, 2014 05:50 am at 5:50 am |
  24. Grandiose Old Patriarchs (GOP)

Another example of Republican "family values."

April 8, 2014 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  25. Kenny Ray

Man that wasn't just a "kiss"! That was a spit swapping, tongue tangling face suck!

April 8, 2014 05:58 am at 5:58 am |