April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. NFLD Thought

Funny thing with these Republicans; they are all honest until caught then God becomes their best friend.

April 8, 2014 06:04 am at 6:04 am |
  2. Pedro!

The guy is a champion he has five children! and want some more!

April 8, 2014 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  3. krehator

Where is the outrage conservatives? Those moral values don't matter becuase this guy is a Republican?

April 8, 2014 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  4. Marie MD

BTW – I saw the video this morning. That wasn't just a kiss either. It looked more like you were trying to eat her face!

April 8, 2014 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  5. JOHN

How unusual, a "Christian Conservative" caught with his pants down (so to say). This has become so common place where a "conservative" who espouses all these Christian values and waves the American flag while campaigning to show voters was a true blue wholesome person he is, is in reality, scum. People, quit buying the charades.

April 8, 2014 06:27 am at 6:27 am |
  6. FamilyDoc2

Another example of a conservative TP member showing they're (sic) respect for women, and also there (sic) knowledge of grammar! Glad that my Congressional representatives don't just talk family values but actually live them, and all three are liberal Democrats.

April 8, 2014 06:32 am at 6:32 am |
  7. Mike

Yep...one more of those "family values" conservatives. I am sure he preaches about the sanctity of marriage...well, most marriages anyway...certainly not his.

April 8, 2014 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  8. pete

Well, here's another political peach. a real winner....funny how they're all always sorry after they've gotten caught

April 8, 2014 06:39 am at 6:39 am |
  9. Paul

Forgive once, but now watch him closely.

April 8, 2014 06:40 am at 6:40 am |
  10. Kris

"McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative."

April 8, 2014 06:41 am at 6:41 am |
  11. MightyMoo

Sorry that you got caught? Makes sense.

April 8, 2014 06:49 am at 6:49 am |
  12. Lee

Another lying politician scripting forgiveness to save his own skin. These guys never resign anymore, just keep on lying.

April 8, 2014 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  13. JayDee

Another in a very long line of god fearing conservative republicans bite the dust.

April 8, 2014 06:50 am at 6:50 am |
  14. Erald Coil

It's stuff like this that show the actual characters of our congressman, senators and other politicians. We need to start firing them for character unbecoming of public leaders when this stuff starts to happen. This is also why nothing changes is because we keep allowing these people with unbecoming character to keep serving the public; but they only end up twisting their responsibilities into something that benefits them, because we let them get away with it.

April 8, 2014 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  15. Alan

Hes only sorry because he got caught.

April 8, 2014 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  16. Notadolt

The Christian Republicans in Michigan have taxed retired pensioners on fixed incomes and work to implement policies to keep wages low for middle class and entry level workers, all while giving new tax breaks to the wealthy. Wonder what bible they use?

April 8, 2014 06:57 am at 6:57 am |
  17. Matt

Once again we see the true colors of the party of "family values"! Where does it end you morons? I'll tell you: with the end of your political party! Republicans have little to cling to any more other than memories of Reagan and their various baseless witch hunts.

April 8, 2014 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  18. Notadolt

Michigan Christians impose new taxes on retired pensioners n fixed incomes, fight against higher paying jobs for middle class and entry workers, all while giving new tax breaks to wealthy. Wonder what bible they read?

April 8, 2014 06:59 am at 6:59 am |
  19. jack

Just another cheating Republican who preaches God and country while breaking his vows, then asking forgiveness. What a sick man.

April 8, 2014 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  20. Phil A Mignon

Now that's what I'm talking bout.

April 8, 2014 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  21. Juanito

Repub's or dems, it doesn't matter.

Even if Mr Smith goes to Washington, they all become part of, and infuenced by, the machine.

And the temptation to abuse the powers they are given has proved too much for most.

McAllister, you were we're given a public trust, and you violated it, as well as the private trust you had with your wife and kids, as well as The Lord.

I pray that you truly turn from this and restore yourself to God and your family.

April 8, 2014 07:01 am at 7:01 am |
  22. Michael

and another one bites the dust. it wouldn't be so bad if people like him didn't try to preach to others. when will they learn?

April 8, 2014 07:02 am at 7:02 am |
  23. Name Ray

It's the lure of washington. The surge of raw power that being elected gives you. It's the beginning of a short political carrier.

April 8, 2014 07:05 am at 7:05 am |
  24. mique

Thank goodness he said the magic words!

April 8, 2014 07:06 am at 7:06 am |
  25. Rob

You ARE just another politician...

April 8, 2014 07:09 am at 7:09 am |