April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. fritz365

Really CNN? With all that is happening in the USA these days, this is one of your top stories? Catching a married man kissing someone?

Oh no! The Republic will fall! Congressman Who Cares isn't as virtuous as his bio made him out to be!

Kissing someone other than his wife, doesn't necessarily make him a bad lawmaker. Just as kissing nobody but his wife, would make him a good lawmaker.

April 8, 2014 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  2. Fila Fly

So much for conservative Christian values...

April 8, 2014 07:13 am at 7:13 am |
  3. Craeder

I've spent some time on Capitol Hill. Those "staffers" are some of the hottest girls I've ever seen.

April 8, 2014 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  4. mike

I hope God is not wasting his time on this kiss.

April 8, 2014 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  5. shinden

Typical Republican holier than thou mentality. I hope his wife divorces him and takes him to the cleaners. I wonder if his mistress had an abortion that he paid for.

April 8, 2014 07:16 am at 7:16 am |
  6. Jerry

WOW, he's human....
    Libs and Dems are going to love this one. A conservative and a Christian... They can have a field day with this one...

April 8, 2014 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  7. kenny

Doesn't say a lot about the staffer. Obviously she isn't too picky.

April 8, 2014 07:19 am at 7:19 am |
  8. Rick Patel

Woman make man crazy.

April 8, 2014 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  9. Thaddius

I'm shocked to find he was a "Christian conservative". Shocked, I say!

April 8, 2014 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  10. Tom

Don't believe ya. You are a cheating man, so you will always be a cheating man. You're just sad you were caught.

April 8, 2014 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  11. The Tick

haha yea of course he is sorry....sorry he got caught

April 8, 2014 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  12. t

...and another "Family Values" gop kisses the dirt

April 8, 2014 07:23 am at 7:23 am |
  13. The Tick

and by the way your an elected congressman and still don't know the difference between your and you're???

April 8, 2014 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  14. Tom Bukowski

Oh, well, he asked for forgiveness from God. It's all okay now.

April 8, 2014 07:25 am at 7:25 am |
  15. Bill D

What a tangled web we weave. They are always so sorry once they get caught. He got exactly what he deserves.

April 8, 2014 07:29 am at 7:29 am |
  16. Where have all the good ones gone?

When can we just get a good, honest and ethical politician again?

This plea from an adulterous elected official is old news and we've seen it hundreds of times. I'm tired of "good christians" running and then been caught in scandals.

How about just having a "good person" get elected, uphold his/her values, be honest with constituents, and work hard to represent us well?

April 8, 2014 07:30 am at 7:30 am |
  17. Vickie lee

Don't say you are sorry now, It's only because you got cought. I now and your wife now , it's been going on since Dec. You 're just a dog. I'll bet she wasn't the first. Believe me your wife new all about it before the news broke.

April 8, 2014 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  18. Jon S.

I assume FOX News will appropriately excoriate this guy. Oh, wait, he's a GOP legislator. Never mind.

April 8, 2014 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  19. Uncle Sam

Another sorry he got caught story.

April 8, 2014 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  20. Reddog9500

I really hate hypocrites. Especially the ones we elected to govern us.

April 8, 2014 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  21. DK

I bet he's a "family values" Republican who prattles on about the importance of morals and derides those dirty liberals for their fast and loose ways.

April 8, 2014 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  22. Bologna

He should have stated that he didn't use his tongue.

April 8, 2014 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  23. MirrorMirror

I wonder what the camera DIDN'T catch. His wife should have herself checked out. He may be bringing home more than the bacon...*eyeroll*...

April 8, 2014 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  24. carriebuck

His statement has improper capitalization and a common splice run-on. I wouldn't vote for someone who can't write.

April 8, 2014 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  25. Jared

First of all... spell check please. You are running the United States, and don't know that "your" and "you're" are different words. Also missed that "Congress" is supposed to be capitalized. I'm a conservative, and I think your lack of intelligence and morality should lead to you stepping down.

April 8, 2014 07:39 am at 7:39 am |