April 7th, 2014
9 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Jim

This is why politicians shouldn't run on a platform of family values or religion. They do that to pander to voters. Instead we should force them to answer to how they vote on issues and can run a business/ handle finances.

April 8, 2014 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  2. Justin

And they wonder why we dont trust the government. This guy cant even keep it in his pants.

April 8, 2014 08:15 am at 8:15 am |
  3. Really?

Well, it's the typical family values GOP guy...he'll ask for forgiveness... he'll say it's Obama's fault.....he'll say he's only human and we all make mistakes... he will blame it on health care!...he will say it was because of Benghazi....(at the end of the day we should be happy it was a woman!!)...anyway, a little less womanizing and a bit more policy analysis might just do the trick....

April 8, 2014 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  4. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

But he is a Republican, so it is OK.

April 8, 2014 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  5. Laurie

Wow. Elected in November, sex scandal by December. That's efficient.

April 8, 2014 08:17 am at 8:17 am |
  6. Lisa

Monogamy is such a stupid tiny little box. It really is too bad there are cameras everywhere and two people with a little chemistry can't have a little snog and then go back to their families without all this destruction. Granted, he probably campaigned on crushing people who didn't stay in the heterosexual serial monogamy box so what comes around goes around, but maybe the lesson is to stop crushing people who put one little toe outside the box and get a little bit of perspective about these things?

April 8, 2014 08:21 am at 8:21 am |
  7. Bill

This is atrocious behavior – Louisiana public officials should be held to a high standard

Sincerely,

David Vitter

April 8, 2014 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  8. DC Johnny

So while we're on the subject of HYPOCRISY, my liberal friends, let's get this straight once and for all. I want to make sure I understand the rules 100% clearly:

1) When discussing race, gender, or LGBT issues, we need to look past the color or preferences of the person and judge them on their individual merit. It is inherently racist to judge someone based on the above, or treat the entire group based on stereotypes.

2) When discussing religion (especially Christian) or Republicans (especially conservatives), it is expected that you judge the entire group based on the actions of the statistically insignificant immoral individuals that make the news with their indecent activities.

Does that sound right? You probably feel pretty stupid right now, for having been pegged with such accuracy. And your response will be that of a child caught red-handed... to scream louder and distract and double-down on the lunacy.

As for this Congressman, he is a disgrace and should resign for misleading the people of his district by portraying himself as decent.

April 8, 2014 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  9. Mike

Looks like a scene from House of Cards......
    Real life Frank Underwood !!!!!!

April 8, 2014 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  10. Richard

The government (republicans) want to show us so BADLY that government doesn't work they are willing to show us just the king of elected people they are. N

April 8, 2014 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  11. Boo

Mike – WA – your comment says it all. Well done.

April 8, 2014 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  12. Thinkergal

Creep. And the married staffer bears responsibility as well.

April 8, 2014 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  13. Brian

The only reason he is sorry is because he was caught!!

April 8, 2014 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  14. Sam

God is the least of his problems. Its his wife's divorce lawyer he needs to be worried about! LOL

April 8, 2014 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  15. just someone

I love the way Dems are trashing this guy because he is a republican. Their main Man Bill Clinton did a lot more that kiss a girl and he is free and clear of all the hate shown this man. He is the example the Dems hold up, I guess the issue is it was not done in the oval office and he did not lie about it.

April 8, 2014 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  16. Whats in your pocket

@Mama4Obama
    "video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer." first paragraph.

April 8, 2014 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  17. sailor12

What, No one wants to blame this on Obama too. You try this crap every other time something goes wrong.

April 8, 2014 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  18. Phil

Marital misconduct is wrong no matter who commits the act. Sad how so many seem to respond with glee when a Christian is involved, yet don't even bat an eye when the offender is someone like Bill Clinton. And for those that crow about the "typical conservative'; Clinton wasn't a conservative, now was he?

April 8, 2014 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  19. Lester Singleton

I hate to break it to all of the republican haters but I do believe this behavior is prevalent among all sides. The question is do you trust someone to have your best interests in mind when he doesn't even have the best interests of his wife and children in mind?

April 8, 2014 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  20. Conrad

Pop Quiz!

Which of the following is in the 10 Commandments: "You shall not be Gay" or "You shall not commit Adultery"?

April 8, 2014 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  21. conspiracy

What matters is, will he lose favor with the Koch brothers. "Free speech belongs to the highest bidder" the supremes

April 8, 2014 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  22. Muri

More of that sanctity of marriage stuff. Good to see the little soldiers are able to be so choosey with the passages they cling to.

April 8, 2014 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  23. Blossy

They are only sorry because they get caught...

April 8, 2014 08:36 am at 8:36 am |
  24. deano bambino

Politics is all dirt.

April 8, 2014 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  25. Stephen

If you go by Christian logic, it was god who set up this doof in the first place. There is a lesson to be learned, my son. Lock the door before you lock lips.

April 8, 2014 08:37 am at 8:37 am |