April 7th, 2014
6 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Drakkon

A Republican Senator caught in an affair. Color me surprised. Why they ever think they deserve to have th moral high ground on any issue is beyond comprehension.

April 8, 2014 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  2. dameglet

What? Hypocrisy in the GOP? Say it ain't so! LOL

April 8, 2014 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  3. Tyler

Meanwhile, still no story on CNN about Democratic anti-gun California senator Leland Yee, who was arrested in an FBI sting for trafficking illegal firearms to terrorist groups. Somehow, a republican kiss gets a story though.

April 8, 2014 08:40 am at 8:40 am |
  4. BluntNRude

A "surveillance" video... Isn't that interesting

April 8, 2014 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  5. exkwco

Another shining example of "family values" from the party of do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do.

April 8, 2014 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  6. MarieEricksson

Another "family values" congressman finds out he is only human too. How did this happen? I am hoping rather than become even more of a strident "every one has to have my religious values" supporter, he learns instead the value of humility and compassion in dealing with others. Something very lacking on the GOP side of the house.

April 8, 2014 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  7. Robyn Kord

Humans!! This has nothing to do with Christianity. But since he ran on family values...he should be ousted out!!

April 8, 2014 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  8. mick

Christian, conservative, Democrat, Republican, liberal, Jew, Muslim, who gives a hoot, we all make mistakes. He will have a lot of proving to do, starting with his family, hopefully they will forgive him.

April 8, 2014 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  9. Joseph Muniz

He took his values to Washington just like he said he would. Is anybody really surprised ??

April 8, 2014 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  10. Bob Loblaw

Well, at least he cheated with a female – a refreshing change from the usual male prostitutes and page boys the Republicans seem so fond of.

April 8, 2014 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  11. Robyn Kord

This is not a left or right thing. People cheat no matter political party, race, age or gender. We are humans and make mistakes all the time. BUT, since he ran on family values...he should be ousted out!! On to the next, rich, big headed HUMAN...

April 8, 2014 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  12. lisa m.

Surely that guy had to know it was all about the money for the staffer, no? For crying out loud...ack...

April 8, 2014 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  13. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Another faux Christian gets caught cheating. Isn't it funny they're only sorry after being exposed?

Don't worry guy, you're forgiven. After all you're a red state republican without any melanin in your skin. Do as you please. The world is your oyster.

FIFY

April 8, 2014 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  14. miscreantsall

Tsk, tsk,tsk!!!!!!!!!

Glass houses and stones, slippery slope.

Sometimes it hurts to look in the mirror……………….oh wait, that's right………….."God" will forgive him (along with his right wing "kin") over and over and over and over and over again because that's why God sent his son down to earth to get killed.

Right……….

April 8, 2014 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  15. Rudy NYC

Did you see the video? What started out as an innocent peck on the cheek abruptly deteriorated into something else entirely. Just think. This guy successfully campaigned on "family values" and won.

April 8, 2014 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  16. edward

Too bad, so sad, time to vote him out.

April 8, 2014 08:49 am at 8:49 am |
  17. Andrew Nutra

"I am sorry I got caught."

April 8, 2014 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  18. xirume

Forgiveness from god is easy to get, you just imagine it and it's done. The wife... not so much.

April 8, 2014 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  19. Whoops

Mmmmm-darn reporters–a;ways poking' around. Well, I'll just invoke God, country, family and guns–no, wait, not guns–yet. I don't suppose they would believe that I was just tasting' her lipstick. Man, this is not likely to turn out good at all.

April 8, 2014 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  20. Susan

First let me say that I am a Christian, Jesus is my savior! That does NOT mean that I am a republican! This is why I will never vote for a republican. Hypocrisy rules in the GOP. I believe in the separation of church and state. Also, this does not mean that I don't trust my government, I just don't trust republicans.

April 8, 2014 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  21. Pablo123

Looks good, sounds good, rotten to the core. Typical politician.

April 8, 2014 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  22. kingliberal

The moral majority strikes again.

April 8, 2014 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  23. Tony

If this jerk were a democrat, the story would have been buried. If by some miracle it did see the light of day, his party affiliation would not have been mentioned.

April 8, 2014 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  24. Jerome Horowitz

" I ran for congress (sic)"
    Add a "k" and you got that right

April 8, 2014 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  25. Rudy NYC

Dominican mama 4 Obama

How did I know without reading the article that he was a Republican?
    Well, he apologized to GOD and everyone else concerned AFTER getting caught.
    Addiditonally this type of behaviour, although it can be found on both sides of the aisle, is getting to be a stronghold for the Party of family values, God, and "love" of country.
    Jokers...most of them are jokers.
    ----------------------–
    He's a Republican. He apologized to God and everyone concered. Well, he's good to go. [wiping off of palms together] No sense in bringing this matter up any more because he's a Republican, which means we know he won't talk about it. In fact, I would not be surprised if most of his constituents forget about it come November.

Did you notice that she's married, too?

April 8, 2014 08:55 am at 8:55 am |