April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. NoNukes

If the statement was given verbally, how can we be sure that the Congressman said "your" rather than 'your're'. As much as I like poking fun at Republicans and tea party members, I would not make that call.

April 8, 2014 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  2. ShameShameWeKnowYourName

This is why Christianity doesn't work....you can screw over all the people you want and only God forgives you.

April 8, 2014 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  3. Jme

Last week a half dozen dems were charged with corruption and not a word from CNN but this is news. CNN why do you work for the DNC?

April 8, 2014 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  4. Rosslaw

A couple of weeks rehab at the David Vitter Home for Wayward Right-Wingers and he should be fine. Now the jezabel who led the poor man astray, well, that's something different. Conservatives are big on endorsing Old Testament/Sharia law-style punishment on the women.

April 8, 2014 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  5. poulose

This is congressional wife swap. Good for a TV show.

April 8, 2014 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  6. Glenn

He, perhaps, deserves forgiveness – but not our vote. The problem is two-fold. First, can this man be trusted. A Christian conservative who clearly thinks the rules don't apply to him. a sneak and a lier who can't be trusted; Second, for the next, who knows how long (months – years?) he is going to be focusing his efforts on damage control. Damage control with his wife, children, family, friends, and the public. Efforts that will not allow him the time he needs to focus on his job as congressman. He needs to go.

April 8, 2014 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  7. Jimmyjam048

This guy is not a "Christian Conservative".
    He just another grifter fleecing the willfully ignorant masses.
    There are many, many other like this. Hypocritical, bigoted and dishonest.
    But now we know what they walk like, talk like, and look like.
    Let's not be fooled and continue to vote for fools like this.

April 8, 2014 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  8. De Odorizer

Do I smell something here, again?
    Perhaps politicians should consider running not on "family values, god and patriotism" but on HOW to fix our problems!
    It's the economy, duh, it's equality for all under the law, duh. It's dealing with environmental issues and crime prevention, duh. It's about enduring fewer mass shootings, weapons in the wrong hands and getting our soldiers home.
    I say 'Amen' to that.

April 8, 2014 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  9. Leah

Amazing how they couldn't care less about "God's forgiveness" or "working on the marriage" and aren't the least bit sorry until and unless they get caught in the act. Funny how that works.

April 8, 2014 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  10. Michael SC

Be ready for disasters to happen.
    God is too busy talking to all these cheating, lying politicians and pastors. He can not pay Attention to disasters

April 8, 2014 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  11. Cop

I guess in politics if you get caught THEN show remorse it's supposed to be like nothing happened.

April 8, 2014 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  12. Al

Forgiveness from god? Please.

April 8, 2014 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  13. Fed Up

Why bother? Are you phasing out the blog?

April 8, 2014 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  14. just saying

Bible says fools make a mock of sin...

April 8, 2014 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  15. Michael

Another Xtian hypocrite looking for absolution from his imaginary sky god. Given all the syntax errors in his "mea culpa," he should be looking for a remedial English class.

April 8, 2014 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  16. stupifyery

Our politicians are corrupt, they lie and are not trust worthy. Get rid od them. This guy is a real crook.

April 8, 2014 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  17. Seattle Sue

What would the Duck Man think of this?

April 8, 2014 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  18. Just a thought

We all have fallen short. Such a statement isn't made to excuse the behavior, but serves as a reminder that all of us...those who post comments and those who don't...have made mistakes and will continue to make mistakes. Let's try to remember to not be so quick to throw stones. The problem shouldn't be blamed on our government and politics or even religion. We should focus more on the condition of our hearts, and be more wiling to love than to lash....to learn how to love better.

April 8, 2014 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  19. jc

ahh the hypocrisy of public office..he (and the staffer) are only sorry for being caught...

April 8, 2014 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  20. chris

The reason folks talk about "going to god" and "forgiveness from god" and "praying to god" is because there is no accountability to it. Religion has been nothing but a scapegoat for emotions, problems, and warfare for thousands of years.

April 8, 2014 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  21. batteryinme

God might forgive you....she is a softy that way. Your wife? Not gonna happen!

April 8, 2014 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  22. Keith

They are always sorry when they get caught.

April 8, 2014 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  23. spudnik56

Well this guy is just pitiful...

April 8, 2014 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  24. Ho No Mo

They are always sorry when they get caught.

April 8, 2014 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  25. 2L

This is why I can't stand extreme self-righteous people on both the left and the right – they are the biggest hypocrites

April 8, 2014 09:39 am at 9:39 am |