April 7th, 2014
4 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. soonergw

I think it's important to recognize those hurt most. His family certainly doesn't deserve this. I am tired of the platform given to men like this adulterer who pander to the "sky is falling" few and ignore the social issues that effect the many. America is changing, but there is plenty of room for kindness and understanding.

April 8, 2014 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  2. so much for honesty

He's only sorry he got caught, he didn't admit anything until proof was shown in public. So much for the GOP being a party of values. Between him and Sanford we all know the whole group lies out it's ....

April 8, 2014 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  3. WillyNilly

Of all the decent people in this country, how is it that people like him get elected to Congress? He has already declared himself to be a liar and a cheat. We're a sick country in the same way that a woman stays with her abuser after he asks her forgiveness. I think you can forgive him and still kick him out.

April 8, 2014 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  4. redhotmama

Notice he didn't mention his WIFE

April 8, 2014 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  5. LogicRules

Talk about a freak-the guy proclaimed his beleif in all things moral, while hooking up with his friends wife, in office no less. Republicans love to chatter how they are the party of morals and rock solid values, bashing anything and everything non-conforming to their value and ideology...maybe thats why they sound like hypocrites constantly.

April 8, 2014 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  6. Jo-Jo

I've said it before in similar situations, and I'll say it again now. This guy knew exactly what he was doing, and he knew exactly what would happen if he got caught. The crocodile tears don't move me a bit–we've all seen that before. I would like to be gracious and say that I hope he gets his life together. At the moment I suspect his only regret is that he got caught. His wife needs to be very discerning–she may very well want to dump him and for no other reason than do we think this is the very first time this has happened? Probably not.

April 8, 2014 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  7. ram

Well, if you run on your values and you get caught cheating on your wife, do you really think people will just nod and say it's all okay? You lied about your values. You made them and that sweet family you have part of the campaign and your platform, and now you think saying you are sorry will heal everything for that family who deserves better than you and your constituents to whom you lied about what you stand for and who you are? Really?

You made a horrible choice. Your wife and children will always have a lovely video of you lying and cheating. Feel better now? Now you live with the consequences and so do they. How classy of you.

April 8, 2014 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  8. Not understanding...

Ok so CNN will run this story but didn't run a single sentence about the Democrat from San Francisco, who a week ago was arrested for gun running and bribery???? CNN please explain why this is more of a "story" than a political figure getting arrested?

April 8, 2014 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  9. Jan

Forget whether or not he is sorry.... he is too stupid to be a congressman.

April 8, 2014 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  10. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Please please forgive me Lord... How else will I hold onto such a cushy job, where I work part time, get paid well, lifetime benefits and get to make the rules for others?? Please lord don't take away my chance to become a millionaire while screwing over the little guy!! Please lord I'm afraid of real work!! I promise to vote against gay marriage....

FIFY

April 8, 2014 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  11. henderway

Another Conservative Christian who fooled his constituients by that whole "family values" crap. In his defense, he didn't say they were moral, honest, family values. I just need to know what Christian doctrine promotes a married individual shoving his tongue down the throat of another married individaul. The Conservatives have been shamed by reality once again.

April 8, 2014 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  12. Get a Clue

This is not a Dem v Rep thing. He chose a platform to run on, that being a conservative one. Therefore he shouldn't cheat on his wife, much less then come out playing the God card. No more than someone running on an animal rights platform should go on a big game safari then ask forgiveness from PETA. This was a betrayal to his constituents, his family, and others. The respectful thing is to bow out and not expose the people he betrayed to more ridicule. He has become another poster child for what people will do or say to become elected. And yes people make mistakes, and people who make these mistakes should get fired, it's not the worst thing in the world, just the right thing.

April 8, 2014 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  13. 2 Km N of G Zero

"Apologizes, asks for privacy." What, like a motel room privacy?

April 8, 2014 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  14. Roman

The only thing he is sorry about is getting caught.

April 8, 2014 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  15. Seattle Sue

Maybe the woman's husband should shoot the low life Congressman and put him out of his misery. Then the Congressman's wife should shoot the other woman as she is no better than the Congressman.

April 8, 2014 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  16. Solitairedog

Hypocrisy is habit-forming.

April 8, 2014 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. California Grandma

loser. another illustrious lawmaker who needs counseling more than a paycheck from the taxpayers.

April 8, 2014 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  18. Bill

I wonder if this will come in 3's just like the deaths of famous people seem to. Yesterday there was news of the mega church pastor and today this. Who's next?

April 8, 2014 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  19. Ol' Yeller

The difference....
    Were he a Democrat he would have been encouraged to resign, censured, or barring that, he would not be re-elected to any office (see Anthony Weiner and Spitzer) should he run.

Being from the gop, (aka- the party of family values, the party of religion, the party of hypocrisy) he will not be chastised nor called out by his fellow republicants (just the opposite they will help him- see coburn/ensign). He will continue to serve in his present capacity and he likely will run for reelection (either to his present office or a higher one) and he will be re elected by the hypocrites of that party (see mark sanford)

They will then continue to preach to us about morals.

April 8, 2014 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  20. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Not understanding.....
    I bet if you go to the Faux Noise site, there won't be one article about this Congressman but it will be full of them about the dems... Go ahead give it a try...

April 8, 2014 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  21. Queen Amadela

Another product of Louisiana voters. Can't we kick that state out?

April 8, 2014 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Canuck

I suggest a weekly lie detector test for elected officials. It would work like this ...

An elected official would be asked on a weekly basis if he/she was still meeting the ideals he/she got voted in on. In this fellow's case - what did he say he would do for his constituents, what are his moral values, how did he promise to act. If he/she can answer truthfully that they've met those promises over the past week, they keep their job. If not, the lie detector would be hooked up to a electric panel and they get charged! Each week they fail the test, the charge is increased until it becomes lethal. Of course, any elected official would have the option of simply admitting they are not cut out for elected life and resign - before reaching the lethal stage.

I know this is a stupid suggestion but when will we hold elected officials accountable. Likely never.

April 8, 2014 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. Sharona

Sorry he got caught!

April 8, 2014 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  24. KD Phoenix

It's rather comical how the holier-than-thou "Christian Conservatives" are so contrite. After they've been caught. I also find it interesting how they can just blow it off by saying they've "asked for forgiveness." Using religion as a get-out-of-jail-free card is just another example of how hypocritical Christians can be. ENOUGH, I say. Vote agnostic or atheist! Christian "morality" sure ain't working.

April 8, 2014 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  25. pskow

Who exactly had him under surveillance? Why would someone be watching him, if it wasn't for the intent of throwing this guy under the bus?

And it was KISSING for crying out loud. Who cares? Let him and his family deal with this. This has nothing to do with the job he was elected to do.

April 8, 2014 10:03 am at 10:03 am |