April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Farrok

Forget it; we are all human..........

April 8, 2014 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  2. Chris

Love all the dems on here using this to attack the GOP and their values. Conveniently, each one of them were saying it was no big deal when Bill was having Monica pick up the pencil he dropped under the Resolute Desk.

April 8, 2014 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  3. ritmocojo

"That staffer shouldn't look so hot when on the job!" GOtP Response

April 8, 2014 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. dave

Once again CNN proves their liberal bias....on march 28 ,the CNN writers tweeted why they failed to report any of the scandals of the Californian democrats.....but I guess now that doesn't count because this guy is GOP....CNN is worse then FOX and MSNBC,because they really believe they are unbiased....I bet you cannot find a republican newswriter or anchor anywhere on that station ( crossfire is not a news anchored show)

April 8, 2014 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  5. Name

I love how they always turn to god. So the people who voted for are so gullible

April 8, 2014 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. Steve

My ole grand pappy..ole reliable used to say...wheres theres smoke theres fire.I say he needs to resign becasue hes a cheater. If you will cheat on your wife you will cheat on the people.

April 8, 2014 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  7. anchorite

Ah, the quarterly Republican puts his Willy in someone who's not his wife scandal. Always reliable. At least it's someone of a different gender this time.

April 8, 2014 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. joe

Hope his wife takes his cheating ass to the cleaners!!! He is a disgrace!!!!

April 8, 2014 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. Everyone's human

Why are so many people ready to lynch him? Everyone is human. Man is not monogamous. So he's having sex with someone. Statistics are near the 80 percent range that every male has had an affair at least once in their marriage. The divorce rate is 60%. Likely more than half of the people on this board has had an affair. Our founding fathers were boinking every chick they could get their hands on. Seriously. And we ended up with one of the best governmental systems in the world. As a nation, we shouldn't even be reporting on these kinds of things. It's only because people are really inappropriately interested in other people's sex lives that it makes it into the news. To me, this is between them. It doesn't matter in the scheme of things where his job is concerned.

April 8, 2014 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. lisa m.

Okay....why are we STLL referring to "Republican Values" as being anything positive???????????????????

You'd have to be braindead to vote (R) these days.

April 8, 2014 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  11. Nguyen

he should resigned if he really truly sorry

April 8, 2014 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  12. Bob

Whoever was supposed to war him about the cameras is fired!!

April 8, 2014 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  13. The REAL Truth...

@Chris – Love all the dems on here using this to attack the GOP and their values.
    -----------------------------–
    What do you really expect.. the party of family values and personal responsibility get's caught on tape with it's proverbial pants down (again) and (again) comes out with the public please, please, please will God,family and country forgive me for the horrible transgression.. weak, and utterly hypocritical.

April 8, 2014 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Everyone's human....

The problem is the GOP pretends to be so morally superior to everyone else. They call themselves the Party of Family Values. They look down their noses at others who don't act like them or believe in what they believe in. Look how they vilified Weiner for texting. But look at Mark Sanford. It's very important things like this make the news so we can see them for exactly what they are.

April 8, 2014 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  15. DOG1

I've seen several statements about what this guys wife will to do him, assuming she'll be mad and punish him somehow. This is a REPUBLICAN wife, she'll just do as she's told by her husband and the party and act like everything's fine. His sons will learn that it's alright to lie and cheat on your wife and his daughters will all learn that their place in life is to shut-up and do what they're told by their lying cheating husband.............FAMILY VALUES

April 8, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  16. DG

@Everyone's human

The problem is not the affair. The problem is the incredible hypocrisy in _saying_ in public how pure you are, and by inference how impure your opponent is, and _acting_ completely the opposite when you think no one can see.

April 8, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  17. Yes It's Not

Dun, dun, dun... another one bites the dust... dun dun dun... another bites the dust, and another one, and another one, and another bites the dust...

April 8, 2014 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. Jackson

Just more of that wonderful "family values" the Republicans love to talk about.

April 8, 2014 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. Mike

From day one, you've always tried to be an honest man? This is literally your first couple of weeks on the job! Day one, maybe. Day two and beyond? Good luck Louisiana! You keep electing this filth; you deserve it!

April 8, 2014 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  20. BushStillAtIt

Gets to show that most God-fearing people seldom fear God, Him being so forgiving so readily. I wonder if God is really so petty.

April 8, 2014 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  21. Jackson

Everyone's human

__________________

People are ready to lynch him because the GOP builds their entire platform on "family values". They talk about "immorality" and "the decline of the American family" all the time.

Yet, time and time again, we see people in the GOP having extra-marital affairs of their own. Their blatant hypocrisy on this issue is astounding.

They should be called out on it each and every time, until they stop acting like they are the morally superior party.

April 8, 2014 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  22. Cameron Roberts

If he/her, or any person for that matter, is willing to treat their families trust with such disregard what can you expect from him/her down the line. It is time we stop believing that cheating is not accurate indicator of integrity when it so very much is. Rep or Dem it does not matter.

April 8, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  23. Anthony Leonson

So CNN doesn't do state politicians... unless they're Republicans. Let me know when you're going to run an article on Leland Yee CNN, he was busted weeks ago for arms trafficking and you've been scooped by Popular Mechanics.

April 8, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. Jose Wales

Both political parties are corrupt. Anyone defending these parties looks and sounds ridiculous. You do not "know" any politician.

April 8, 2014 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  25. Montana Mom

OH PLEASE! He is just sorry he got caught. I am shocked at all the *he is only human comments*. See where our effed up society is today. Don't blame him because he is a cheating pig, he is only human. WHATEVER!

April 8, 2014 10:33 am at 10:33 am |