April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. mindstorms1

Another family values supporter hits the deck.

April 7, 2014 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. GME

So tell me again, what is a christian conservative?

April 7, 2014 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  3. Chris

Nice family values he has there. He's a liar and a cheat and should not represent the people of Louisiana. I hope the best for his wife and kids and all the people he cheated on. What a horrible human.

April 7, 2014 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  4. surfdog11

Same old, same old. And she's married too? Way to play your part in ruining a lowly staffer's life. Didn't think about that did you? They serve us until their done with the oath of office and then they go rogue...

April 7, 2014 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  5. Rick

Of course he's sorry, he's been caught. Of course he was making out with another woman – he's a christian conservative. If his wife forgives him, she's as much of a fool as he is. If the other woman's husband forgives her, hes also a fool. Won't these politicians ever learn? And why do more republicans have affairs that democrats?

April 7, 2014 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  6. Rhonda Jacobs

That is not just a "kiss".

April 7, 2014 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  7. Jerry

Hey Republicans how is that traditional family values platform working out?

April 7, 2014 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  8. DM

Guess this state senator's screw up was a little more important than the gun-hating Democrat in California running an illegal-gun trafficking racket. CNN is a joke.

April 7, 2014 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  9. Greg Morgan

Okay, he's asked for forgiveness and privacy. How long will it take him to start asking for our money and our votes? All he deserves is a one-way ticket out of town.

April 7, 2014 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  10. Elizabeth

Sorry? The public is so tired of all the infidelity, sexual abuse, etc, from public figures, all of it happing while being paid with public monies. And all that happens is. "I'm Sorry! Please forgive me, etc, etc, etc.". Please get on with things like the unemployed, minimum wage, immigration, pay equity, Russia, etc.!!! You would think they won a beauty contest and they are paid to play around!!!

April 7, 2014 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  11. Rick

Oh he is sorry boohoo he is sorry he got caught. Another self righteous "Christian" conservative idiot.

April 7, 2014 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  12. Deeare

Love the family values of the christian conservatives

April 7, 2014 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  13. TELew

Nope.

No hypocrites here!

April 7, 2014 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  14. djjimi

Asking for forgiveness is pointless unless you mean it.

April 7, 2014 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  15. Rembrant

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man." FAIL.
    "I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician." FAIL.
    "While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this”. Probably wont happen. FAIL.

April 7, 2014 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  16. MickieChristSakes

Eeeeeeeewwwwww. Got busted Mr. Christian Conservative.

April 7, 2014 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  17. mon56

He is very very sorry he got caught.

April 7, 2014 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  18. Right Wing Conservatism is a Disease

But he's republican. They are morally superior.

April 7, 2014 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. KJ9

Good old republican christian gets caught with his lips on the cookie jar. Now ask forgiveness. What else is new.

April 7, 2014 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  20. Marc Florida

Sounds like he has fallen on his own sword. There is always mea culpa and prayers for forgiveness. It's those cameras and open mikes – they're to blame. A fellow can't even steal a kiss without making front page news! I am sure his wife another fine christian will forgive her wayward husband.

April 7, 2014 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  21. Ant

He's just sorry he got caught

April 7, 2014 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  22. New Joisey Guy

Oh, who cares?

April 7, 2014 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  23. sarahfalin

Ask forgiveness from your wife dude! Forget your imaginary friend!

April 7, 2014 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  24. harrisonhits2

Anyone who "trusts" any member of congress is foolish to begin with, cheating on their significant other or not. Ever last member of both parties is utterly and totally corrupt.

April 7, 2014 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  25. DaJimJam

Don't do your job well, it's ok....Cheat on your wife and people want you removed. Yeah, priorities.

April 7, 2014 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |