April 7th, 2014
7 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. ART

I'd expect nothing less from a hypocritical Christian conservative, remember people family values

April 8, 2014 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  2. john west

and we depend on them to be honest in their work. they cant be honest behind closed doors, or anywhere else for that matter.

April 8, 2014 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  3. Tampa Tim

I am waiting for Duck Dynasty to weigh in on this.

April 8, 2014 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  4. jonathanlk

He isn't even loyal to his wife. Not someone I want representing me. If he doesn't care about his family, how much do you think he cares about you? He cares only about himself about milking his position for all it is worth, suckers. He is only praying to God because he was caught. I love VIDEO cameras!

April 8, 2014 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. JackBriss

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video
    =================================================

Amazing how they are ALL SORRY after they get caught lol
    I really wonder if they ever thought that if they did not do it, they could not get caught. lol

April 8, 2014 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. Harvey Tabasky

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. That's strike one. "From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man." That's strike two. Willie was his guest at SOTU. Strike three, now get out.

April 8, 2014 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  7. Jake J.

It's almost funny how the 'other' side always pounces on any misstep or indiscretion of the opposing parties. If he were a Dem... then the Repubs would be 'outraged' and wringing their collective hands and calling for his dismissal just as the Dems are doing now.
    BREAKING NEWS folks... they are ALL crooked, misdirecting, lying excuses...NO MATTER what 'Party, Sex or Race they are. They take the taxpayers money and promise whatever it takes to get elected and do it again and again.

How? Because the majority of voter do not concern themselves with the RECORDS of potential candidates! Research? that's too much trouble. Negative results? Must be the 'other' side drumming up propaganda... MUCH easier to just 'Vote Down Party Lines' and be done with it till next election. If their candidate doesn't do the job... Just blame their failures on the opposing party!

We get what we deserve and asked for if we were lazy... so don't complain when the Bill comes due.

April 8, 2014 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  8. JJ

So? Why is everyone ready to destroy this guy, not knowing his personal situation? What if his wife is a witch? What if he was lonely because she withheld affection, but wasn't in a financial or professional position to divorce because kids or reputations are involved? I've been down that road before and it's not easy when a spouse withholds affection and treats you like crap behind closed doors. And all you want is to be happy, and feel wanted. Am I justifying his actions? No. Is it technically wrong? Sure. Is it worth costing him his job, and destroying him? Absolutely not. There is nothing political about this at all. Leave political out of it. Leave this man alone. And leave that girl alone, too.

April 8, 2014 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  9. Fred Phred

Chris,

if you have to go back 16 years to drag up a Democratic scandal, you're reaching pretty far there my friend. On the bright side, the republicans are at least cheating with women now. No more man-boy love or wide stances in the mens room.

So the party of family values is making strides in the right direction.

April 8, 2014 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. avoiceinmyhead

Everyone's human: "Why are so many people ready to lynch him? Everyone is human. Man is not monogamous."

Maybe you are not monogamous. Why do you have to speak for all men.

April 8, 2014 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  11. Jerry5555

Another low life politician that would sell his mother for a vote. But, have you noticed that CNN only writes negative articles about GOP politicians???

April 8, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  12. irunner

republicans don't REALLY have the values they want us to think they have. Other than the almighty dollar. It's all smoke and mirrors. Hypocrisy at it's finest!

April 8, 2014 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  13. Joe H.

@farrok, @everyone’s human and everyone else that is supporting this guy. You say “man is not monogamous” … Well, if that is the case, then don’t get married for crying out loud. It's not rocket science and nobody forced him to get married If you want to have sex with someone else, then you shouldn’t be married or get a divorce or ask your spouse if it is ok. The reason there is so much cheating is because spouses don’t take a stand against it and in effect are saying "go ahead and cheat... It's ok" The bottom line is no one forced him to get married or stay married so all this “man is not monogamous” stuff is crap.

April 8, 2014 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  14. Chuck Lytle

He is just sorry he got caught....

April 8, 2014 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  15. R.

Meanwhile, in America there are job losses, high gas prices, healthcare woes, the list goes on and on and on and on...this dirty laundry is not news.

April 8, 2014 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  16. WG

I think the issue here and why so many Dems are upset is because of how these GOP Christians like to try scream that GOP/Traditional Values are needed in the Country again, BUT then turn around and cheat on their Spouse.

Can't scream traditional values, but then want to get it in with your staffer who isn't your wife...That's not christian like lol...

April 8, 2014 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. Andy

And the only reason he is saying anything is because he was caught.

April 8, 2014 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  18. EastCoast Mike

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative....I wish the GOP would separate themselves from Christianity. There is no group on the planet who is more misaligned with the teachings of Jesus than the GOP.
    How can you be a Christian when you vilify the poor? How can you be a Christian when you hate gays, Mexicans, Muslims, etc? Jesus didn't hate anyone.

April 8, 2014 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. Luc

Jackson you really think we have the best governmental systems in the world where have you been in a cave. OMG

April 8, 2014 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  20. SMD

Anyone surprised that he's identified himself as a "Christian conservative" bringing "family values to Washington"?

April 8, 2014 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  21. TMV

Would he be asking for forgiveness if he had not been caught? We must assume that he knew it was wrong before he committed the act yet he chose to do it anyway. And probably did it many times before. And had he not been caught he would have no doubt continued. So, should he be forgiven? He'll no. He should lose his seat and his wife. Justice. And he can deal with the Sky Fairy later.

April 8, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  22. picka materina

adultery is a major sin, right up there with murder. God will not forgive. He will be tossed into the pit

April 8, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  23. calvin

Pffffft .... he's sorry he got caught, not because of what he did. Now he's asking for forgiveness... yeah, RIGHT ! If you look up the word hypocrite in the dictionary, his picture is next to it.

April 8, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Everyone's human....

The problem is the GOP pretends to be so morally superior to everyone else. They call themselves the Party of Family Values. They look down their noses at others who don't act like them or believe in what they believe in
    -------------------------------------------------
    And therein lies the problem my friend.
    The GOP needs to stop acting like they are above everyone else.
    God knows that's stinkin' thinkin' and not grounded in reality.
    We ARE in fact all human.We're going to make mistakes. But it is a human trait to dog pile all over those that think they are above us regular human folks.
    And so here we are...

April 8, 2014 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Crocker

Nothing new here. This only shows once again how much stronger the brain below the belt is compared to the larger brain inside the skull....

April 8, 2014 10:52 am at 10:52 am |