April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Jack

It's almost funny how the 'other' side always pounces on any misstep or indiscretion of the opposing parties"

sorry folks. the Dems didnt try and pretend they were the "moral majority" and then impeach a president (while the lead investigator was cheating on his cancer ridden wife) Republicans want to now make it a private matter because its their guy. DEms have stepped down , Weiner, Spitzer, Edwards, but none of the GOP who started this crap ever stand by their supposed morals–because they have no morals.
    all GOP reps or senators should step down, but GOP never steps down . They want others to live by their principles while they do whatever and their sheep back them in fact re elect them like Sanford, or keep them in office like Vitter.,

April 8, 2014 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  2. eli

GOP claim how good they live their life and then this happens. This is why people go off on the GOP. You build yourself up to be PEOPLE OF GOD, Democrats do not do this. This is why you see Democrats talking about this.

April 8, 2014 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  3. Incredulous

He's sorry he got caught. When you run as a "Christian Conservative" implicit in that moniker is "I'm better than those who are not." He asks for forgiveness from God (1), Wife (2), Kids (3), et cetera. Leave God out of this. He didn't ask to be dragged into your mess.

April 8, 2014 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  4. tod jones

Certainly it is "worth costing his job" if being a hypocrite is the criteria! I agree that both parties are full of them, but I also believe when the "trust is broken" the only solution is to "Weinerfy" the person. Resignation would be the true test of contrition. this is what the "limited party system" produces!

April 8, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  5. NotAtAll

In general, men always make excuses among themselves and in their own minds about their lack of self-restraint or even the need to be circumspect in matters of sex and infidelity. They will always give themselves and each other a pass when they give in to their own lusts. And when they attain a certain level of power and authority, they wrongly believe they can get away with anything and won't eventually get caught. Both McAllister and the staffer are wrong and have caused their families much harm; so she needs to "face the music" too. Nonetheless, just as other government types have done, McAllister thinks all he has to do is say he's sorry, put on a sad face, ask for forgiveness, go through the crucible for several months, then when things have died down and his constituents have forgotten the deed, they will vote to keep him in office and it will be "business as usual." His wife may or may not divorce him, but beyond that, nothing will change. Other acts of infidelity by others in Congress will eventually be reported on. Life will go on.

April 8, 2014 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. NW

HE SHOULD BE FIRED!!! As a legislator you pass laws dictating my behavior so my dear legislator this holds YOU TO A HIRE STANDARD!!! ...FIRED...

April 8, 2014 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  7. Wade

CNN is so completely liberal biased that they have no credibility at all. No story on the DEMS in CAL caught up in the FBI STING. A story far more important than this silly personal story.

April 8, 2014 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  8. Jake J.

Doesn't anyone even question why the 'exposing' Media story focused ONLY on the married Politician to express their disdain while only identifying the 'other' woman as simply ' also married' ...no name or pictures or political affiliation?
    Hhhmmm...was SHE a Repub too? How/when did they meet and how long has this 'relationship' been going on?

I do NOT excuse in ANY way HIS actions... but he is also very newly elected and his profession is a very devious one.... Might the Lady have been a setup by a disgruntled 'opponent'? Probably not.... but not disclosing ANY info about the other half of this equation might begin to smell after a bit. It will be interesting to see the followup stories...if there ARE any.

April 8, 2014 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. fred flanders

What a shocker!

April 8, 2014 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  10. Brad

What a shame. He couldn't even wait till he was elected to show his true nature. And now he is asking for forgiveness from "God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve". How about the husband of the women he was sexually harassing. I say harassing as he was the boss and that is never acceptable. How about asking the husband for forgiveness? How about castrating him and making him a eunuch. That would help him keep his mind off of his staff. (and other parts)

April 8, 2014 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  11. Woody's Hay

He's one "hiking trip in the Appalachian trail" from winning a landslide re-election/forgiveness from the Tparty ...

April 8, 2014 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

BTW, it appears that married women are the new bumper crop.
    A woman who's only had one sexual partner for years....that's getting more and more difficult to find.
    Just sayin'....

April 8, 2014 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  13. Sergeant

The conservative party strikes again.

April 8, 2014 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  14. Ander

Just so I'm clear: if someone violates one of the Ten Commandments it's okay, but if someone violates some random Bible verse tucked in among other verses that no one adheres to, we need a Constitutional Amendment. Got it.

(Also, I find it interesting that there are those lashing out at "liberals" for unfairly attacking the guy. I'm not sure they are doing that so much as pointing out the hypocrisy of the "conservative" line. If this guy ran on an "to each his own" platform (e.g., libertarian), I doubt anyone would take much issue. But he ran on a "You have to obey the parts of the Bible I say that you should and if you don't you are the enemy" platform, so don't be surprised when that comes back from the "enemy" to bite him.)

Also, I don't think the people who are saying to give him a break are necessarily conservatives, and the people who are outraged are necessarily liberals. But we like to make assumptions that confirm our (usually inaccurate) view of the world. Until the people in this country learns how not to make enemies of each other, politically-based or otherwise, we are just going to keep swirling the drain.

April 8, 2014 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  15. PJ

I'm sorry doesn't work anymore from the politicians. But they DO keep getting re-elected...so....meh.

April 8, 2014 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  16. Anonymous

He's sorr...that he got caught. Blah,blah,blah...

April 8, 2014 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  17. Sir Nikon

A message to Christian Conservatives:
    Start governing an imperfect world where everyone has shortcomings and you show them kindness and support in your governance. Stop acting like those who are poor and disadvantaged are to be chattels of the wealthy and powerful.

April 8, 2014 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  18. Ray

Republicans just cannot seem to understand the voting public. They continuously tout things like "Christian Conservative" and "Real Family Values" and rail about how they are morally superior to Dems and others. The GOP does not understand that people are turned off by their hypocrisy – particularly young voters – and do not believe a word they say. You can't make headway or regain ground when you continuously stand up and pound the podium feigning moral superiority and values that you flaunt in private when you think no one is looking.

And to be fair, the Dems are no daisies either. Just as corrupt, they point fingers at the GOP while they slowly try to relieve citizens of their rights in order to aid big government to ultimately become the mother's teat on which we all will become dependent.

Insist Congress repeal any exemptions they receive for laws to which the rest of us are bound. Demand professional & moral conduct by these representatives that lie to our faces about their "values" by word and by deed; if they screw one intern or buy one bag of cocaine, send their asses home and ban them from public office.

See how much their values improve then....

April 8, 2014 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  19. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I was raised that God knows all. My grandmother used to tell me if I thought bad thoughts that God would know. She would also say God knows what you are going to say and do before you do it. That stuck with me. My question to the GOP is this.... How can you pretend to be so holy then turn right around and sin? Do you not really believe God knows all? The point I'm making is you can't fool God. You might fool mortals but not God. This tells me, they don't truly believe because if they did, they would know this.

No offense to my non-believing buds. I don't knock you for not believing so please don't knock me for believing.

April 8, 2014 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  20. Sigi

YAWN – how ordinary a story about a politician, not matter what stripe. This is about being selfish and inconsiderate of your mate and children, pity them.

April 8, 2014 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  21. smartfor

Another One Bites The Dust!

April 8, 2014 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  22. underwaterops

Another politician who ran on "family values" and "moral high ground" shows he has neither – nothing new.
    If voters would concentrate on voting records, proposed solutions and accompanying proposed legislation – and not false claims of morality as being the reason for being "more qualified than my opponent" – the country would be far better off.
    And if the media (yes, you CNN) also concentrated on that, we would all be better off.

April 8, 2014 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. JimboCombo

JJ is dead on. I would up that comment to the top if I could.

April 8, 2014 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. smartfor

But he and his party don't want me to be able to smoke weed! What a joke! It's OK for them to have their pleasures, but not for all of us "little people" to have ours! Throw the bum out!!

April 8, 2014 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  25. Fessig47

Hmm...CNN exposes a conservative Christian Republican. How shocking. Liberal atheistic Democrats don't do this sort of thing? Fairness and balance? Not.

April 8, 2014 11:10 am at 11:10 am |