April 7th, 2014
7 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. kneesus

Here come all the Republicans with their "equivalent evils" argument. I'm sorry, when your platform is built on "Christian Values" and protecting the sanctity of marriage all the while stripping a large portion of our population of basic civil rights relating to marriage, the sum total of the hypocrisy that you stew in does not allow for an equivalent evils argument. When you get caught red handed everybody chimes in about frailty. Yes, we're all imperfect, but not all of us imperfect creatures are trying to make everybody live by your Christian rules that even your Christians cannot follow.

April 8, 2014 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  2. Name

I think he should leave

April 8, 2014 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. John

Great, you asked for forgiveness from God, country, and family.
    The next normal thing to do is a two week rehab stint.

April 8, 2014 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  4. Kim

e's only sorry he got caught. He wouldn't have been so sorry had the newspaper put the two of them out there. Liars are always caught! What doesn't come out in the wash comes out in the rinse!

April 8, 2014 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. Paradise Lost

Did he not know about the security cameras in his own office? Crap!

April 8, 2014 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  6. Mike

Never fails. Republican, every time.

April 8, 2014 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  7. Carla Hurst-Chandler

Sorry? Just sorry he was caught on video.

April 8, 2014 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

Before anyone comments, have you seen the video? Republicans forced Anthony Weiner out of the House for less.
    Weiner tried to cheat, while this guy appears to have been at it before. I don't think this was their first kiss.

April 8, 2014 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  9. Brian

"McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative". Bye. Next!

April 8, 2014 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  10. Open2most

kneesus – I guess you'd be advocating life rules of the lowest common denominator then?

April 8, 2014 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  11. jbm

More R hypocritical behavior. I guess those who elect these Rs practice the same behaviors?

April 8, 2014 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. Name

I bet she is a setup by dem

April 8, 2014 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  13. sonny chapman

"As you judge, so shall you be judged". Matthew 7,1.

April 8, 2014 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. Harr

America is seems to continue being very prude. So he kissed a staffer? I am glad it was a female. Know nothing about this Congressman, but is he doing his Job?
    I am really not interested in his personal affairs, unless it was doing office hours, then he should be docked pay.

Otherwise, he can kiss anyone he wishes.
    Good grief, mountain out a mole hill.

April 8, 2014 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  15. PPPPP

Classic. I love these stories.

April 8, 2014 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. John

There's a lot of ignorance on hear and both parties have made big morality mistakes. But for those people on hear who commented like Eli who stated "Democrats don't do this" and others who say he should be fired, let me remind you of the biggest PIG of them all, one who used his power and influence to get an intern to give him a BJ. Yep, that's the one, Democratic and President Bill Clinton.
    Personally, anyone who cheats should be fired, but democrats set the precedence when Clinton did his thing and then lied to everyone about it. You voted to allow him to remain in office even though he has no integrity, so at this point you have know rights to criticize anyone else.

April 8, 2014 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. rl

I am sure that he is sorry. Sorry he got caught. I just love it when these "Christian value" people start their campaign. They make me look like I walk on water and all at (which, I will admit I don't)

April 8, 2014 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. true dat

Throw you religious beliefs in everyone's face and expect them to follow them ... even when you don't!

April 8, 2014 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  19. az voter

I couldn't possibly care less what this yahoo does in his spare time as long as it's legal; however, I would ask for the same courtesy in return, especially from these "family values" (bwahahahaha) Republicans...

April 8, 2014 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  20. Yoyoma

Another politician creep hiding his true self under the bible. The only fools are the people that elect them.

April 8, 2014 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. tarura

C'mon, give it a break, they're married.

Not necessarily to each other though.

April 8, 2014 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  22. Hector

Sad thing is. If this was a pro Obama liberal Democrat CNN wouldn't say a word and very few people would even pay attention.

April 8, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  23. davery1968

"Christian conservatives" protecting the sanctity of marriage one divorce at a time.

April 8, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  24. Derek

Hopefully, this ushers in an era when the Christian left become the champions of the Christian cause rather than the Christian right. I say that as a Republican, because honestly I don't like the Christian right much. It should all be about Free Market capitalism and individual liberty, not about Jesus or family values. Let that be the Democrats platform.

April 8, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  25. soundPally

How did this get past the filters? Kneesus implying that Christians are stripping a "large portion of the population" of "their basic civil rights related to marriage."

What "large portion of the population" is this I wonder? I notice you don't give it a name or say it's actual size.

April 8, 2014 11:35 am at 11:35 am |