April 7th, 2014
7 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. cicisbo

You can't be an atypical politician if you are making out with a staffer... I mean, that's what they do...

April 8, 2014 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. truth

Oh come on, Republicans obviously don't represent Christian values its a propaganda point for them, nothing more.

April 8, 2014 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. Wein

When he says he wants privacy: what he is trying to say is let's get a room

April 8, 2014 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Exactly Rudy. I tried to comment on it and got zapped. For those trying to act like this isn't a big deal couldn't be more wrong. The GOP lauds its moral superiority over anyone that dares to be different. Yet they are constantly getting caught with their pants down. I think it's time they got off that high horse and stop pretending they are superior to others, then no one will care about stories like this. It reminds me of the birthers and their fixation on President Obama while putting forth Canadian born Cruz for POTUS...

April 8, 2014 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. Anonymous

Brian wrote on page 22:

"McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative". Bye. Next!
    -----------------
    He's a Republican and he apologized to God. He's all cleaned up now.
    He's good to go. Any future criticism of him would be a heresy against God.

April 8, 2014 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  6. sly

Wow – another bad day for God-Sters.

Their big mega preacher get's caught in an affair, then another God-Ster southern style politician gets caught with his hands down some chicks pants.

Not that religion has much credibility to begin with, but it's now become a big joke. I wouldn't believe anything I heard from any God-Ster.

April 8, 2014 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  7. DS

Only God knows the state of the Congressman's true heart. And in the order of his apology the Congressman ask first that God forgive him. "God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve.... So it looks like you all come LAST.....

Great Job Congressman !!! God is the only one who knows your truth..........

April 8, 2014 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. SeeCurt

@Harr
    It's the hypocrisy that's in dispute. But I get what you're saying. If it's an R, they campaign on higher morals. If it's a D, the R's blast him for lack of. Lol.

April 8, 2014 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  9. Phil

To be honest, based on their history – I'm surprised it's not another dude. He's a Republican, right?

April 8, 2014 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  10. Anonymous

Another case of "Do as I say, not as I do." I really don't care that he's a sleaze. What bothers me is his absolute hypocrisy. Hope his wife boots his cheating self out of the house. As others have said, he's only sorry because he got caught. Otherwise, he would continue to do what he was doing. And he is a perfect example of why we need to keep Church and State separate. I am not anti-religion, but I can worship as I please, last I checked. I look to government for other reasons.

April 8, 2014 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  11. Moses

for you skeptics: remember: man is weak but that still does not mean that God is absent or silent

April 8, 2014 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  12. Dude

According to another source – the staffer isn't just married – she'd married to his longtime friend. I notice there's been no apology issued to him.

April 8, 2014 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. Greg

The fact that both the women in question and her husband donated $5,200 each is very suspicious based on their job descriptions.

April 8, 2014 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  14. okulus

This is news only because CNN makes it so. A politician who sells "family values" (whatever that is) to the gullible rubes in Louisiana, who deserve what they get for not thinking more before voting, and who goes for a little on the side from an attractive staffer. You don't have to like it, but it isn't news, and it is common enough to be "normal."

People in other countries laugh at Americans who expect their politicians to be perfect people.

April 8, 2014 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  15. john

elected as a christian conservative and did exactly as a christian conservative. Nice!

April 8, 2014 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  16. Silver Lining

Can he honestly say, "I did not have a sexual relationship with that woman?" Probably not but at least he can say he did not lie about it like Bill Clinton. However, that being said, he should step down for his actions.

April 8, 2014 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  17. d3z78

HE is only sorry because he got caught.

April 8, 2014 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  18. Hiruu

A TRUE Christian Conservative...lol...these clowns never change, and the morons who keep voting for them and "believing" in this shtick are just as bad.

April 8, 2014 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  19. Just sayin too....

wow...he invited the duck man to be his guest at the state of the union because?? can you say glass house and throwing stones??

April 8, 2014 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  20. Steve

He's not sorry... Just sorry he got caught.

April 8, 2014 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. athiest

*peer. hate typing on mobile. ><

April 8, 2014 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Ian

He's sorry for sure... sorry he got caught !

April 8, 2014 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. Jeff

I guess the Flying Spaghetti Monster will now be sentencing him to an eternity of suffering. You mean all he has to do is repent and he's OK? Yeah, that Christian religion really promotes ethical actions.

April 8, 2014 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  24. Jim

I typically vote democrat. That said, this is not about GOP vs Dem. Both sides of the aisle have affairs. What this is about is hypocrisy. I have no sympathy for guys like this that say one thing, then do something else. Whether it is a religious zealot who then has an affairs or come out as gay, or a politician supporting tougher laws against drugs or drunk driving then gets caught himself. These people are the worse kinds of politicians no matter their party.

April 8, 2014 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

What's the issue? He was just working on his second family values.

April 8, 2014 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |