April 7th, 2014
6 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Beth

It seems that the term "lawmaker" is inaccurate and obsolete. Along with other, more crude terms, "apologizer" would be more accurate.

April 8, 2014 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Big B

The funny thing is he has been forced to ask for forgiveness. He didn't come forward on his own. He was caught and now has to answer for his sins. Too bad for his family.

April 8, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. Claudia, Houston, Tx

This is more than a kiss, it's an ongoing affair that God has exposed. Don't play with God.

April 8, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. js

If he feared the wrath of his God more than he feared the wrath of his wife he would have been banging his lover in front of his wife instead of in front of his God. Another true believer for the morals and values crowd. The only reason he is sorry is because he got caught.

April 8, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. Susan

Duck Dynasty indeed! That just proves what idiots these people are. As a born again Christian I am appalled at such low class representation of my faith. The actors who play these jokers are laughing all the way to the bank. These so called "Christians" are a sham!

April 8, 2014 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. yogi

Yes republicans, there are cheaters on both sides of the aisle, the big difference is that the democrats don't preach family values as loud as you do.

April 8, 2014 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  7. Jez

He asked god to forgive him? Puleeze. God is a handy cure-all for republicans. Apparently, god will forgive anything whatso ever. He's a get-out-of-jail-free card.

April 8, 2014 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. mike hunt

Wasnt Clinton a "christian"? Didnt he do something similar? Or do you only take issue with the person's relegion when they are a republican?

April 8, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  9. Ken

Gotta love that unbiased CNN reporting. If it were a Democrat there would be no reference of his party affiliation. However he's a Repbulican so scream at the top of your lungs that a Republican kissed a girl.

April 8, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. dac

I find it disgusting that a large portion of our elected officials deem it necessary to cheat on their spouses. I have said this many times, if you lie and cheat in your private life you do so in your public/professional life as well. I seriously can't find a single person with moral integrity in all of Congress or the White House.

April 8, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. Argyle

Why can't we elect politicians to do run the country, to do the peoples business instead of all these faux 'christian' types that seem to think we ned their moral direction as they invade the bedroom and women's rights with their taliban like laws?

April 8, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  12. Mike

Adios my friend... The only thing that works and I mean ONLY think that works is people's VOTE.

April 8, 2014 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  13. Vince

Another "Family Values" republican.

April 8, 2014 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  14. Adam

Haha. People seem to forget that politicians are human beings too. They don't exist in some higher power medium that gives them super human powers to resist the same temptations everyone else does. Some of them are faithful, some of them aren't. But since we live in a society that basically rewards infidelity, I'm surprised so many people throw these guys under the bus. Half the people commenting here and chastising this guy have most likely been unfaithful in the past or currently are. I'm not saying we shouldn't hold these guys to a higher standard, but it's ironic how more godless our society is becoming every passing year, yet we seem to care if a politician kissed someone other than his wife. What do you expect? We re elected Clinton after fully knowing that he was not only unfaithful but LIED to the entire nation about it. Yet somehow this story made headlines and half the country is throwing this guy under the bus. How bassackwards can we be? When have we cared about our leaders actually being good people?

April 8, 2014 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  15. Anonymous

"Let you among you without sin cast the frst stone."

April 8, 2014 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  16. Anonymous

HIs staff failed to photoshop in some convincing Mistletoe.

April 8, 2014 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  17. SmartPotato

How's that "family values" platform treatin' you?

April 8, 2014 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  18. Jeff

Should be a cast member on the "House of Cards."

April 8, 2014 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  19. Mark

If he was a Democrat he'd be a top contender in 2016.

April 8, 2014 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  20. PayUp

For every one of these that ends up in the news, I bet there are 100 identical situations that were settled via blackmail. This guy just wouldn't pay up. You want to get rich? Set up hidden cameras around politicians.

April 8, 2014 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  21. jdalco

I love all the news this gets while the California lawmaker arrested for running guns and rocket launchers is ignored. . .

April 8, 2014 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  22. cosmo

He didn't know there was a camera in his office??

April 8, 2014 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  23. Ernie

The only thing he's sorry for is getting caught. Do you think if he hadn't gotten caught that we would be talking about this now. He'd still be shagging his married staffer. Time to get rid of another.

April 8, 2014 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  24. 1alien1

amazing how these conserv. republicans want to run everyone elses moral life, yet cannot keep there morals in their pants. i also like how they would like gods and their familys forgivness maybe he can have a talk with spitzer about morals while they walk they trails together

April 8, 2014 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  25. starthrower

He should ask what the definition of "is" is. He's a southern Christian conservative so naturally he has to be destroyed because he must be a homophobic biggot. Of course we were all expected to give Bill Clinton a wink and a nod when he did worse in the Oval Office and were expected to believe he didn't perjure himself.

April 8, 2014 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |