April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. John

April 8, 2014 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. EDDIE

I wonder what Phil Robertson thinks of this guy now. Will he go to heaven only Phil knows. Bad week for the Duck boy's. They paid a pretty penny to sponser the Duck Commander 500 and it was rained out and on Monday only 70,000 showed up for the race compared to 200,000. And now the man of faith is committing adultery in front of god and all.And yes I watch Duck Commander I think its funny.

April 8, 2014 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. mk

I'm so glad he' living the family values he professes and measures others against.

April 8, 2014 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  4. hkirwin

Big B

The funny thing is he has been forced to ask for forgiveness. He didn't come forward on his own. He was caught and now has to answer for his sins. Too bad for his family.
    ===============================================

Sounds an awful lot like Wild Bill Clinton.

April 8, 2014 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. Koryr

April 8, 2014 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  6. chris

So much for the republican sanctity of marriage!

April 8, 2014 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. steelers24019

"Let you among you without sin cast the frst stone." Sorry, I don't owe this man a thing and I don't believe in your god. He better look out for the stones people like me are going to throw at him

April 8, 2014 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. Maria Delaluz

Never trust a cheater. That's why I never voted for "Slick Willie" Clinton. Not that I'd ever vote for a Dem anyway.

April 8, 2014 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  9. pauleky

Another "Family Values" politician shows what he really values. Wish I could say I'm shocked.

April 8, 2014 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Usually when CNN runs a story about a politician having an affair, it follows up with a negative story about his opposition. Why isn't this the case this time?

April 8, 2014 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. steelers24019

"I think it's hilarious that this got more coverage than Leland Yee running guns. CNN applies the Vaseline once again." Is Leland Yee an elected official and if so, did he run on a platform of not being a gun runner? Our complaint is not really that he cheated on his wife, our complaint as he portrays himself as being holier than thou

April 8, 2014 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  12. steelers24019

"He should ask what the definition of "is" is. He's a southern Christian conservative so naturally he has to be destroyed because he must be a homophobic biggot. Of course we were all expected to give Bill Clinton a wink and a nod when he did worse in the Oval Office and were expected to believe he didn't perjure himself." The people of Lousiana can do what they like but lets make sure they know the truth about this man

April 8, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. Nadily

Difference between Mcallister and Yee is that Mcallister is representing the State of Louisiana while Yee is a state senator representing a district in California. The difference in potential for policy effect is what people are upset about. While Mcallister's vote in the House of Representatives can potentially affect all Americans, Yee's votes are more specific to the State of California. Believe me, Californians do care about the crazy corruption charges being brought up against Yee. Guys gotta learn before spouting off in random comments.

April 8, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  14. steelers24019

He should be on Duck Dynasty. He'd fit right in with the ACTORS on that show

April 8, 2014 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. Anonymous

April 8, 2014 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  16. gartnersally@yahoo.com

Another case of "Do as I say, not as I do." I really don't care that he's a sleaze. What bothers me is his absolute hypocrisy. Hope his wife boots his cheating self out of the house. As others have said, he's only sorry because he got caught. Otherwise, he would continue to do what he was doing. And he is a perfect example of why we need to keep Church and State separate. I am not anti-religion, but I can worship as I please, last I checked. I look to government for other reasons.

April 8, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. Hunter

Why would we trust politicians with making our laws and keeping us safe when they lie cheat and steal? Its obvious with a compromise in character like this any law he makes is going to be tainted with greed or worse. That is why we have the second amendment folks. To keep snakes in grass politicians in check!

April 8, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. kingliberal

Pete/Ark
    Is there any news value here ?

You would think there was if it had been a democrat.

April 8, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  19. Kyle

He's sorry he got caught. The measure of a man is what he does when he thinks no one is watching. We're always under the eye.

April 8, 2014 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  20. kylefromohio

what he really means is forgive me because I got caught. But there is no forgiving for the woman who is raped and becomes with child.

April 8, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  21. kylefromohio

He will be running for Senator Vitters job soon!!!!

April 8, 2014 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  22. NamePetrus

That's what they do, always under the guise of conservative values. It's what they do that matters, how many more?

April 8, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  23. steelers24019

"Its Amazing! Ever MSM organization had no trouble identifying the political party of this guy. Yet last week, with the SLEW of democrats involved in corruption, no mention was made of party affiliation. The MSM is pathetic... I am beyond sick of your blatant partisanship when reporting. Its no wonder no one watches or reads your garbage anymore."

Apparently you and plenty of other conservatives tune in every day

April 8, 2014 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  24. steelers24019

"Sad when a guy campaigns on "family values" and then pulls this as soon as he gets to DC. I voted for him before, I won't make that mistake again."

Quit voting for people who make unverifiable claims to have high moral standards. These people play you like a fiddle(southern term for a violin)

April 8, 2014 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. traytgr

If an elected official, Democrat or Republican, is willing to cheat on their spouse and risk humiliating their children (the people they love the most) – what makes anyone think that the elected official wouldn't mislead and lie to the people in their District – whom they know very little about and have no emotional attachment to. While there are no perfect people in this world, some transgressions simply aren't compatible with elected positions that represent the well-being of the people. I think cheating and lying fall into this category.

April 8, 2014 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |