April 7th, 2014
9 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Woody's Hay

Private citizen John Edwards stalked and exposed, major media exposure.

Arnold Schwarzenegger has an affair, fathers a child, runs for and is elected governor with nary a peep. In fact, right before he made it official, the media massively promoted his latest movie, including the hints at running for office.

Yeah, "liberally-biased media".

April 8, 2014 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. Amor De Cosmos

That's the great thing about being Christian. You can do the worst, most heinous things, and all you have to do is ask for forgiveness and magically you get to start with a clean slate. Unlike atheists who actually have to take personal responsibility when they do something bad.

April 8, 2014 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  3. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Woody.... Shhhh. You're NOT supposed to remember that...

April 8, 2014 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. sly

Ha ha ha ... yeah, he's sorry. I notice this God-Ster never apologized to the husband.

Are all God-Sters corrupt liars? I notice the Mega-Church pastor got caught dick-ing his clergy, including the little boys.

April 8, 2014 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. ccfarris

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks – some may be thrown back and we can see what's going on inside.

April 8, 2014 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. Mark

At least it was a man kissing a woman. Had it been a Democrat, you never know what he'd have been kissing.

April 8, 2014 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  7. quidestveritas

"Private citizen John Edwards stalked and exposed, major media exposure."

you forgot to mention that only happened AFTER the media ignored initial reports of edwards' trist and instead chose to run a completely bogus story about one of his opponents having an extramarital affair.

moreover, i would think even the most partisan democrat would admit (at least privately) that it's a bit odd that a number of democrats who are publicly advocating for gun control get indicted for their involvement in a gun-running operation get no mention on CNN while a story about a slimeball, phony-baloney "family rights" conservative slobbering all over a staffer is treated like watergate.

April 8, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Name

Why am I not surprised anymore ? Should we just assume now that 'family values' is a political code phrase for 'adultery' ?!

April 8, 2014 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  9. Smarty Arte

Wow!! He wants to be in politics so bad that he screws up not even a half year in office??? Just think what this clown would do if never caught. This is a perfect example of these hypocrites that are in it for themselves, they couldn't give two flips about anyone, not even their own families. @Woody's Hay, don't fool yourself in to thinking this is a liberal vs. conservative battle, they are all the same. This is a battle between the American people and these people that consider themselves as America's royalty. Getting into office and receiving lifetime pay and lifetime medical benefits at no cost to them, it is paid for by the American people.

April 8, 2014 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. Noodles not pasta

He is not sorry. He just has to say that because he was caught. A Leopart does not change its spots.

April 8, 2014 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  11. PushingBack

UNBELIEVABLE!

Ok, not really. Actually, quite believable for a politician, especially a republican. I'm actually shocked it wasn't with another man.

April 8, 2014 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  12. Noodles not pasta

I meant to type :Leopard..

April 8, 2014 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. Lenny Pincus

At least he wasn't wearing a diaper, or in a Men's Bathroom, or killing his former lover like most Republicans. This is just two holy rollers sucking face. I wonder why God didn't break it up with some thunder or flashing lights.

April 8, 2014 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  14. Name. Gonemad3x

That's it baby (ugh) god loves (ugh) loves you right there. Oh yea.

April 8, 2014 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  15. dontbangyourhead

How much do you want to bet that if he had gotten his girlfriend pregnant, he would have paid for an abortion out of state while denying the women of his state access to the same.
    Hypocrisy is abhorrent whether from republicans or democrats but those that try to impose their religious beliefs on others while doing whatever they feel like in their personal lives are the most dangerous hypocrites of all.

April 8, 2014 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. bcrunner

@Woody's Hay: Maybe you missed it, but the Democrats hollered and yelled when Arnold ran in California and a couple of women spoke up and it was not the liberal media who shut them down... it was the Republicans who did it.

But, I think the biggest problem we progressives have is not that these people made a mistake, sinned, etc. We all do and we'll be the first to say it. The problem is you keep telling us that you are the ones with the Christian faith values, you are the ones with the family values... I go to church almost every Sunday and I consider myself a sinner.. I don't know if I can go through a whole day without doing something, saying something or thinking something that may not be sinnful... But, I detest people who tell me that they are the ones with values and look down on me and other people only to find out in the end they are worse than most...

April 8, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Hmmm again. It doesn't seem my comments are getting past the moderator. Let me try again:

I'm puzzled as to why CNN seems to only find the miscreants in the republican party, when I know from personal interactions, that there are an equal amount of miscreants in the democratic party. I don't like either party. They're both working for themselves, but the lack of any negative democratic coverage on CNN begs the question as to who CNN is really working for.

For example, the story about the California senator, Leeland Yee, didn't seem to garner much screen time at CNN although he's a gun control advocate who was arrested for arms trafficking and trading money for political favors. The hypocrisy makes for a great story, don't you think? A bit like this one, but since Mr. Yee is a democrat, I suppose it doesn't matter. Oh nor about the other democrats in California convicted of various other charges.

Our media outlets, all of them, have become PR machines. The American people need journalists not spin doctors. You can falsify information by not including it just as much as you can by manipulating it.

April 8, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. Eric

See how his dirty linen has been uncovered before the eyes of the whole world. This is who these hypocrites truly are, presenting themselves as saints but deep within they are the devil themselves. Hmm, apologies my foot, they are the very same individuals that enact laws prohibiting gays here he is been caught on tape red handed committing adultery. Shame on you.

April 8, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. jcyg

My comments don't seem to be making it past the moderator.

I'm puzzled as to why CNN seems to only find the miscreants in the republican party, when I know from personal interactions, that there are an equal amount of miscreants in the democratic party. I don't like either party. They're both working for themselves, but the lack of negative democratic coverage on CNN begs the question as to who CNN is working for.

I'm sick of our media, all of them, spinning news according to their own agendas. Our media outlets have become PR outlets for whatever agenda they espouse. The American people need journalists not spin doctors. You can falsify information by not including it just as much as you can by manipulating it.

April 8, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Anonymous or whatever your name is. I promise you won't see a word about this on Faux Noise. If you don't like the articles here don't read them. We have a right to know when the holier than thou get caught! These people campaign on being the party of family values, their hypocrisy needs to be pointed out. I bet you didn't care when they were showing AW's selfies...

April 8, 2014 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  21. Geofff Magure

Wonder waht he's sorry for? Cause he did it or because he got caught?

April 8, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. J

CALL HIS OFFICE AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. Although the secretaries just say, "we will get him your message, right now he is with his family."

April 8, 2014 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  23. Chuckbrown0916

This is hilarious! A Southern, God fearing, married man runs for congress on a moral christian value card and wins. Not a few months into his 1st term, he's embroiled in an affair with a married staffer. That's rich!

April 8, 2014 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. Chuckbrown0916

This is hilarious! A Southern, God fearing, married man runs for congress on a moral christian value card and wins. Not a few months into his 1st term, he's embroiled in an torrid affair with a married staffer. That's rich!

April 8, 2014 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. Wafa

He didn't think about his children when he was kissing the staffer but he's asking the media to think about his children! "I ran for congress....not just to be another politician." HA!!!

April 8, 2014 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |