April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Blue

What's New! This hiding behind God's word is getting thin. I do not think that God appreciates this. I understand the more that you talk about God, the less you believe, just trying to be look good in the eyes of the people. How they can beg for forgiveness! I feel for the poor wife and kids in situations like this.

April 7, 2014 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  2. badcyclist

The only thing surprising about this is that he wasn't caught making out with a male staffer. Otherwise, just standard-issue Republican family values.

April 7, 2014 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. liz

Sad but predictable

April 7, 2014 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  4. Tom

god will get him through it..bla bla bla. same old, same old

April 7, 2014 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  5. Zayah V

Typical conservative who preaches GOD and hate against gays yet he does more to degrade and ruin the institution of marriage. On the other hand as long as he does not preach what he does not follow, who cares? Does getting some tail on the side make him bad at his job? Can he do his job? I don't care who represents me as long as they represent me correctly.

April 7, 2014 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  6. Clear and Present Thinker

I'm married and I've kissed a lot of women, some in front of my wife (no camera needed). No problem, I'm a Democrat and hypocrisy is not a criminal offense among friends.

April 7, 2014 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  7. MP

Typical politician. This happens outside of the political world, of course, but these dumb politicians like to tell everyone how righteous they are.

April 7, 2014 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  8. Heather Rando

Good old Republican values. Glad they are saving the country for the rest of us.

April 7, 2014 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  9. Mike from CO

S'all good – just more displays of family values from the party of family values.

Honestly, who gives a damn? If he votes the the way his constituents expect him to, who are we to judge his personal shortcomings?

April 7, 2014 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  10. Tad

Who cares about a kiss? As long as you aren't stealing money, and hiding things of a government nature, I could care less!

April 7, 2014 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  11. scootfl78

I don't think God really minds - if he/she did, extramarital affairs would have been put to a stop by now (along with everything else people do to hurt others).

April 7, 2014 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. localhost

He asked god for forgiveness. That's enough for me.

April 7, 2014 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  13. jules411

Christian conservative.....at least he's honest!

April 7, 2014 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  14. Jeff Brown in Jersey

A "Family Values" kind of Republican no doubt.

April 7, 2014 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  15. Tellingitlikeitis

Republicans, Republicans; another one caught with his pants down. Now how many of you Republican doters trust your representative. Word to McAllister; Don't use GOD before your wife, children, constituents. Your wife may forgive you first before God if at all. Constituents? Maybe.

April 7, 2014 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  16. Joe College in Florida

What a CREEP. What's worse is that he campaigned as a "Christian" conservative. Just another complete political hypocrite. I don't care what party he is – you cheat on your wife and FIVE kids, and you don't deserve the public trust. Period. I hope his constituents boot him out of office as soon as they can.

April 7, 2014 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  17. Rusty Krus

Hey, we all make mistakes. However, it seems the Republicans are the ones who pretend to be so wholesome and tell others how to be "good". Always getting caught with their pants down.

April 7, 2014 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  18. Ward Cleaver

Not a very bright fellow.

April 7, 2014 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  19. steve-0

Tea Party ! Woo-hoo!! Christian Values!! Woo-hoo!!

April 7, 2014 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  20. just me

Gosh, will God forgive him? Lol, need you ask? He's a republican! Next week he'll announce that God said He'd give a pass on this one. Course there won't be any video of THAT ...

April 7, 2014 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  21. Celia

Of course same old speech, they are suppose to set EXAMPLES since they are in th epublic eye! the world is corrupt as it is,, I dont get..

April 7, 2014 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  22. JJ

A politician having an affair? And a conservative christian? You don't say.

April 7, 2014 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  23. wwf

Yep. I am sure that Papa Duck would be proud. Another one bites the dust, but don't worry, God and his party will forgive him.

April 7, 2014 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  24. MiBigAl

Married Christian Conservative Congressman caught making out with staffer on video and Mega church pastor admits affair, quits all on the same page. CNN, please me it isn't so. It sounds like it's more fun to be a conservative. I think they were just following the word of God by "going forth and multiplying". Someone should tell them they should try using a calculator.

April 7, 2014 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  25. Nowie963

This is only the latest in a long line of holier than though politicians getting caught with heir proverbial pants down In this case literally!

April 7, 2014 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |