April 7th, 2014
3 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. RomneyWho

"Cookie Cuter Politician" No need to apologize for getting caught. The next time, believe me, there will be a next time, you might want to be a little more sneaky and sleazy. :(

April 7, 2014 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  2. GTA

"McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. "

That sounds about right.....

April 7, 2014 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Yet another 'family-first' politician caught cheating.

April 7, 2014 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  4. Mark

That's a miracle. A Republican cheating on his wife with a woman??? Oh, well. Anyway, we all know he's sorry only because he got caugh. lol

April 7, 2014 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  5. Ibieter

I am more offended at his use of "your" than in who he kisses. Our country doesn't need incompetent boy scouts, and I can tolerate shady but effective.

April 7, 2014 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  6. PaulK

Can't wait for this set of BC and soap opera drama comments from party drones.

April 7, 2014 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  7. wilfred Charles

Man how could we believe in government when the life they're
    Living is so misleading and dishonest.

April 7, 2014 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  8. TK

well well a republican and he probably ran on family and god first

April 7, 2014 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  9. Kay

They are always sorry after they get caught. Can't someone just come out and say sorry BEFORE he or she gets caught? This is a call to all you cheaters out there, come out before someone else brings you out and you be humiliated.

April 7, 2014 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  10. xedder@suddenlink.net

what a waste...joke... I'd bet that Robertson dude is just as shady...

April 7, 2014 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. John Smith

It seems to me like CNN only reports the misfortunes of the Republicans and never the democrats. There are alot of crooks in the democratic party. That being said, is this man really sorry, or is he only sorry cause he got caught?

April 7, 2014 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. lloyd roberts

Oh boy, him and the mega pastor in Ft. Lauderdale. It's because these guys make such a fake, big deal about this behavior when they preach that they get picked on relentlessly when they get caught. It's comical. True conservatives keep your private life private. Social conservatives are not really conservative, they want government to legislate morality for everyone but them

April 7, 2014 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. Serious Truth

Notice how he asks God for forgiveness first. I would think the wife should have been first. Unless it is a play to the "god-fearing, we are all sinners" group. p.s. I am a registered Republican so no need for any conservatives to doubt my thoughts.

April 7, 2014 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  14. Jason

No one does the family values like the GOP

April 7, 2014 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  15. sibi

The devil made him do it!

April 7, 2014 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. Americans Wakeup

So 7 Democrats have been arrested this month. California Democratic State Senator Leland Yee, a gun control advocate, has been charged with conspiring to traffic in firearms and public corruption. But CNN you only run a story about a kiss? Seems hypocritical unless you run all stories about corruption or immoral acts from both parties. Not just ONE.

April 7, 2014 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  17. McBlaine

You had our trust until you destroy it.

April 7, 2014 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  18. God

Invites guy who preaches that gays destroy marriage, gets caught on camera cheating on his wife. Classic!

April 7, 2014 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  19. joe smith

you got to wonder, who was shadowing this guy..looks like a Gary Hart rerun..must be some controversial politics playing the strings down Louisiana way, or could it be, the union boys, who play both sides of the fence, ( as insurance ), needed just that; sort of a Chapiquitic renewal..America, what a country..

April 7, 2014 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. kissntell

More moral failings from the Grand Old Hypocrite Party. But 'asking God' makes it all ok, right? Disgusting. And he can't even write!

April 7, 2014 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  21. jeff

What is the big deal? We already know he is a politician, what do you expect, honesty?

April 7, 2014 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  22. Famil

Its the Party of Family Values folks!

April 7, 2014 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  23. Chris-E...al

HE Is no good example to our children he should go and dont let the door do you know what dem 0r repub preacher or teacher !

April 7, 2014 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  24. Krich

This is really rich. The same news outlet who has still not published a news story about Leland Yee, the San Francisco Democrat and gun control supporter who got caught negotiating gun deals, publishing a story about a Republican making out with a staffer. Poor behavior, no doubt, but nothing even close to arranging the sale of surface to air missiles. To quote Tombstone "It seems your hypocrisy knows no bounds."

April 7, 2014 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  25. CW

Gotta love those Christian Conservative politicians.....always following the Bible as truth. Hey look, you just broke a commandment, Vance!

April 7, 2014 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |