April 7th, 2014
5 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Austintx1

......And another one bites the dust

April 7, 2014 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  2. Nic

GOP: Christian family values!

April 7, 2014 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  3. MrBo

A "Christian" Conservative not acting so Christian?? Whaaaaat?

April 7, 2014 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  4. noteasilyswayed

If you are so sorry, why don't you resign? Why did you not admit it before you got caught on video? Your apology should not be accepted by your wife and kids; or by your constituents.

April 7, 2014 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  5. Tim

Here we go again with yet another episode of a long running soap opera.
    If this guy is truly a Christian, he should know that GOD alone knows his heart and one can never fool him. Being in the political circle or circus to better say it, it tends to make me wonder if he is truly sorry or sorry for getting caught. SOMETIMES, THE Almighty uses sivations like this to get our attention back on him and not on mankind.

April 7, 2014 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  6. Rico Paras

This proves my theory. The louder one gets about his beliefs, the more he has something to hide. Like the short guy that drives a big SUV theory.

April 7, 2014 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  7. Evan A

I guess he'll be be sent to eternal damnation along with all of those homosexuals that the Duck Dynasty crew doesn't like. I wonder why they like him?

April 7, 2014 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  8. Nodack

Yada, yada, yada. " Im sorry I was caught". Pfft.

April 7, 2014 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  9. independant jim

what will all the bible thumpers that elected him- on his platform of one man one woman think

April 7, 2014 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  10. jed clampett

Do you think all he did was kiss her?

April 7, 2014 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  11. Sue

Just another liar looking for a congressional paycheck. Disgusting. Dude needs to resign. He ran a campaign about "god" and was clearly having and affair at the time.

April 7, 2014 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  12. You want see this story onf FALSE NEWS

You BETCHA you want see this story on FALSE NEWS or any conservative website. LOL.

April 7, 2014 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  13. Anonymous

why would this surprise anyone. I am a disgusted republican who thinks we should tax churches and the wealthy

April 7, 2014 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  14. Pragmatic Man

Shocking, a GOP being caught red handed and asking for forgiveness. My bet, this wasn't his first rodeo.

April 7, 2014 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  15. Michael

I've always said: If there's a dirty way to make a buck, a politician invented it and ALL politicians think they are above the law and cheat on their spouses on a daily basis – it's just that the majority of them have not been busted AS YET!!!

April 7, 2014 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  16. teekay

Another 'Family Values' congressman asking for God's forgiveness!!!!

April 7, 2014 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  17. Fed Up

Another CINO bites the dust. He's real sorry. That he got caught.

April 7, 2014 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  18. Dan

According to his god, he and the staffer should be executed.

April 7, 2014 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  19. Randy

Typical "do as I say, not as I do" "family values" repub.

April 7, 2014 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  20. James Klimaski

Congressman McAllister has nothing to worry about, he is not a Democrat. The fine citizens know full well that only a Democrat should be shunned. Congressman McAllister is simply following in the fine tradition of other God fearing Republican legislators like Sen. Vitter. Oh, and the staffer has been fired. Of course it was her fault entirely.

April 7, 2014 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  21. Constitution

Another corrupt leader....we need statesman for the constitution....not a politician for himself and his political party.

April 7, 2014 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  22. Molly

Another "Christian Conservative" caught!!!! Of course, the "I AM SORRY" will make it all okay!

April 7, 2014 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  23. Charlie

He's only asking for forgiveness because he got caught.

April 7, 2014 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. rafael

"McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative." Nothing more need be said.

April 7, 2014 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  25. Harisht Tekchandani

Shame Congressman
    If you have any sense, resign
    It is not asking forgiveness from God, it is our act that shows our moral values

Shame – Shame – Shame