April 7th, 2014
9 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. midnitejax

You gotta love this. He's sorry! Sorry for getting caught? Sorry for lying about those family and Christian values he used in his campaign? Sorry for using his family as gimmicks to sell his campaign? Sorry for bilkng taxpayers for putting his GF on the payroll?

April 7, 2014 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  2. MrComments

Love those family values. Like Bill O'Reilly, Gingrich, etc. "Do as I say, not as I do"...

April 7, 2014 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  3. Military4America

Oh, look. Another "Christian conservative".

April 7, 2014 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  4. john

"Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents"

Save it, creep

April 7, 2014 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  5. YeahBuddy

"Congress and Washington won't change me..."

April 7, 2014 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  6. Nathan

Everyone needs a little change.............or strange...........lol

April 7, 2014 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  7. Bubba

And another family values republican burns in shame...

April 7, 2014 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  8. Chris

Heterosexuals are destroying the sanctity of marriage.

April 7, 2014 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  9. not really news

You can lie to your family all you want, just don't lie to your constituents.

April 7, 2014 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  10. Maripil

This GOP rep. is a classic republican adhering and espousing family values platform!!

April 7, 2014 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  11. Dark Poet

You know what they say...... Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely. Both the GOP and Democrats need to just go somewhere and die off so that we can fix this country.

April 7, 2014 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  12. PtBarnumBoy

Must be something in the water down there. David Vitter ring a bell?

April 7, 2014 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  13. Texas Anne

Am I surprised? Uh, no.

April 7, 2014 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  14. Zeev

Forget his cheating, the man can't even spell! He must be one of those "aliens who refuse to learn English" that the Republicans keep harping about.

April 7, 2014 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  15. JayT

Gotta love those crazy, family-oriented, wholesome "Christians..."

April 7, 2014 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  16. carl nelson

If it quacks like a duck....

April 7, 2014 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  17. Jessica McGwin

They are all like that. Fidelity and integrity mean absolutely nothing in America. Never has never will.

April 7, 2014 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Well well well well... I know this guys mom. I never met him. He sounds like our governor, Piyush 'Bobby' Jindal, who ran for governor of Louisiana on 'Ethics in Government'. I expect our governor as well as Vance to fall from grace in the very very near future.

April 7, 2014 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  19. rockesh

The usual canned response which rings hollow. So what was Vance doing off camera?

April 7, 2014 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  20. Pander Bear

He's very sorry – he got caught.

"McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address."

CLASSIC!!!

April 7, 2014 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  21. Fire the GOP

He should ask all the gay people for forgiveness. To forgive him for working hard against gay marriage but turning a blind eye to banning divorce and criminalizing adultery.

Oh...but now we know why. Stone Casters.

April 7, 2014 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  22. Marie MD

Gotta love this christians and their lack of values.
    I am pretty sure that god and his family were the last thing he was thinking of while sinning.
    Privacy my foot. Throw him out.

April 7, 2014 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  23. sara

Dude – saying you're sorry to God and your family is just rhetoric. Do you think anyone really believes that?

April 7, 2014 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  24. pat

why does the author use (sic) in this sentence-nothing seems erroneous: "I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. "

April 7, 2014 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  25. 13directors

Too bad Clinton didn't just ask God for forgiveness.It would have saved us a lot of money in attorney fees and we could have focused on more important issues like NAFTA!

April 7, 2014 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |