April 7th, 2014
4 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. pat

Also, using (sic) instead instead of giving him the benefit of the doubt with "your" as opposed to "you're" is sadistically editorial. If this was a written statement the usage would make sense.

April 7, 2014 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. Daniel Farnkoff

Another self-righteous fake-o fraud exposed. Easier to preach than to practice, eh? Guys like this should worry more about keeping their own spiritual houses in order, rather than wasting their energy spouting off about the gays like that Duck Dynasty goofball. "Family values" (trust, fidelity, sharing, honesty, caring, etc) begin at home, after all.

April 7, 2014 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  3. Lifehiker

Not his fault. The Devil made him do it, and we all know the Devil spends a lot of time with Louisiana politicians.

April 7, 2014 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  4. TheSadTruth

From the same party that says same sex marriages "Threaten their marriages". Almost as much as cheating on your spouse it looks like.

The Republican Party- keeping hypocrisy relevant.

April 7, 2014 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  5. Marsha Theriot

"I'm Sorry, so Sorry, that I Was such A Fool, I didn't know Love could be so cruel"!...Do you think everyone is that stupid?

April 7, 2014 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  6. Bob Lees

These dudes are sure quick to be begging gawd and family for forgiveness. I love the family values crowd, he'll go hang out with a pastor for a week and buy the little lady a new diamond and all will be forgiven in fundieland.

April 7, 2014 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  7. Jose the Great

You have to love those Republican congressmen.... they are as bold as they can be... The democratic ones just take pictures of themselves practically bare-naked and post them on Facebook...

April 7, 2014 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  8. Actorvist

Another fine example of GOP family values at work. And by the way, how does a guy who can't even spell get elected to Congress?

April 7, 2014 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  9. TM

So after getting caught, red handed, and admitting that he cheated on his wife, I assume he is going to resign. Oh, wait, never mind, he's a Republican.

April 7, 2014 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  10. Lenny Pincus

Wingers will believe anything and anybody–as long as God....

April 7, 2014 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  11. osnap

Rep. Peter Russo was caught kissing his chief of staff and we all saw what happened to him.

April 7, 2014 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  12. MW

Gosh darn, this is shocking. Hard to believe a God's man could do such a thing.

April 7, 2014 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  13. The Real Tom Paine

Oh, I'm sure he will be forgiven: just ask David Vitter.

April 7, 2014 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  14. Steve Kellmeyer

So, when will we see a front page story on Senator Yee's gunrunning indictment?
    Or is that a non-story because he's a Democrat?

April 7, 2014 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  15. SayNo to Politician

Whom are you fooling sir. Probably lots of them who will vote for you again. You know you will get away once you whisper god.

April 7, 2014 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  16. Mark G

Soesn't it seem that the more loudly you preach about family values and beliefs the more likely it is that you are violating them?

April 7, 2014 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  17. brainiac3397

When will we ever get a charmming playboy into Congress? One who isn't afraid or apologetic of what he does?

April 7, 2014 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  18. Jack

It's sad when CNN reporters can't even use the correct form of "you're" - Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. - You cannot be credible if you cannot proof read your work.

April 7, 2014 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  19. mike

Are they sure it wasn't his cousin? sarc

April 7, 2014 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  20. k

Republicans are already Christians so I am sure he does not have to have alot of forgiveness, it is the Democrats who are the Atheists who are going to hell if they have relations with another woman or another man

April 7, 2014 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  21. helicohunter

Par for the course for Louisiana. Vitter visited prostitutes, but still stayed in office. Conservative politicians in Louisiana thump the Bible in front of the cameras and roll in the gutter behind them.

April 7, 2014 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  22. Hughiewis

Another cog in the moral majority party.

April 7, 2014 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  23. here and back again

Oh come on now...which is it? Either you are or you aren't honest. If you can't be honest to your wife...how can you be honest to your constituents? This is not a blue vs red issue...both sides have lost direction. The problem with a Democracy, if you aren't honest, it is easy to be corrupt.

April 7, 2014 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  24. Fulano

His moral fiber must have hardened.

April 7, 2014 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Why is he asking for forgiveness from God now? If he think he did something wrong, he should have asked for such forgiveness right after he committed the act.

April 7, 2014 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |