April 7th, 2014
4 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. Sd

I am shocked, shocked I say

April 7, 2014 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  2. reasonablebe

just wondering if this guy is a 'christian country,' creationist type of guy. if so, figures.

April 7, 2014 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  3. sandcanyongal

And I'll bet Congress won't remove him, impeach or get this cheating jerk out of office. He's making a farce out of his position. He's hiding behind "GOD" for his forgiveness. What everyone is witnessing is a demo of what to expect from him during his term.

April 7, 2014 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  4. Good Job

EXcellent news. I'm glad he apologized, now lets forgive this awesome American and get him back to work making those laws for the rest of us to follow!!

April 7, 2014 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  5. Leroy

Its only the "real" Republican family values....

April 7, 2014 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  6. san

These politicians especially those claiming to be good Christians with all their claims of family values..what slime buckets..hypocrites.. He should have thought about his five children before he had an affair with another man's wife..and shame on that wife as well..

April 7, 2014 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  7. seafoodwatch

Party on, Wayne!!!

April 7, 2014 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  8. Jeffc6578

How completely conservative Christian republican.

April 7, 2014 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  9. Bill Davis

We'll at least it was not a guy.....a little strange?

April 7, 2014 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  10. Kevin

No news here. Just another 'family values' republican got caught cheating.

April 7, 2014 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  11. Chiefdan

Just another one that can,t be trusted.....I'm sorry...ya right

April 7, 2014 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. Guy

"I've tried to be an honest man". A little passive language says it all. I've "tried" to lose weight, quit smoking and grow six inches. Trying, in this case, means you haven't...

April 7, 2014 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  13. YK

He is not a Christian Conservative......he disguises under the cloak of a Conservative Christian. Shame on him.

April 7, 2014 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  14. DP

Wow! I thought he is a "conservative evangelical christian" who is supposed to spend his time in Washington, DC., his home and church only think about God, family and his constituents ;)

April 7, 2014 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  15. luvuamerica

The conservative they are, the more ----they are.

April 7, 2014 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  16. Name

Them conservative values!!!

April 7, 2014 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  17. luvuamerica

It just tells you morality does not belong to those who think they are very Christian or conservative. Humans are fallible. And God is not going to help you keep straight. It is you, who has to keep it straight. This guy with 5 children, shame on him.

April 7, 2014 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  18. Ruby

Why are Christians so sexually repressed anyway? It seems to be a constant issue with them.

April 7, 2014 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  19. JPX

I love it when a republican is caught cheating on his wife. Great 'family values'. Then he asks "forgiveness from God" as if the imaginary man in the sky care's about his misdeeds.

April 7, 2014 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  20. jv10563

Here I thought it was going to be a cool story about the rock group Kiss. Instead it's another politician caught with his hand in the cookie jar... what else is new.

April 7, 2014 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  21. lol

where's the video??

April 7, 2014 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  22. Willie Robertson

McAllister has done nothing wrong by eloping with another women. We Christians are supposed to have a little fun at work while wifey cooks us dinner at home raising our half a dozen kids. As long as we confess to Jesus our almighty Christ at the end of the day our sins are forgiven.

April 7, 2014 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  23. Coolj

Has this behavior from our politicians become so commonplace that no one even posts their opinion.

April 7, 2014 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  24. fedupwithla

Sexual harassment will not be tolerated in positions of higher office. Let that be a lesson to us all!

April 7, 2014 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  25. Miked

Too much of this happens. We need to see more ethnic races in American politics to instill true honer and to exemplify family values in leadership. Viva America!

April 7, 2014 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |