April 7th, 2014
7 months ago

Married congressman 'sorry' after seen kissing staffer in video

(CNN) – Newly elected Rep. Vance McAllister asked for forgiveness from God, his family and his constituents after a local newspaper published what it said was surveillance video of the married Louisiana Republican making out with a female staffer.

"There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve. Trust is something I know has to be earned whether your (sic) a husband, a father, or a congressman. I promise to do everything I can to earn back the trust of everyone I've disappointed,” McAllister said in a statement.

“From day one, I've always tried to be an honest man. I ran for congress (sic) to make a difference and not to just be another politician. I don't want to make a political statement on this, I would just simply like to say that I'm very sorry for what I've done. While I realize I serve the public, I would appreciate the privacy given to my children as we get through this,” he said.

The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published the video it says shows McAllister and the woman passionately kissing in his office last December.

What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by  GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander’s resignation.

McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative. He made headlines earlier this year when he invited “Duck Dynasty” star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President’s State of the Union address.

CNN’s Curt Devine contributed.

Filed under: Uncategorized • Vance McAllister
  1. ja

Hypocritical conservative is the operative word, and he vote on policy,

April 7, 2014 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  2. TexDoc

Isn't it we time American's quit worrying about who is sleeping with whom in politics?

April 7, 2014 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  3. PETER

It's evident that he spends more time thinking with his little head then his big head. It's also more then likely that this is not the first time he has done this.

April 7, 2014 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  4. Woops

Ya gotta love that sanctity of marriage stuff . . . .

April 7, 2014 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  5. Pete/Ark

Is there any news value here ?

April 7, 2014 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  6. Anonymous

"McAllister is married with five children. The woman, the paper reported, is also married." ..."McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative."

April 7, 2014 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  7. Vence

The right thing to do is just quit congressman!

April 7, 2014 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  8. Anonymous

I'm sure he is "sorry" ...for getting caught!!

April 7, 2014 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  9. Skyisfalling

It's almost always the bible-thumping Republicans that get caught doing something idiotic like this, then attach themselves to whole GOD forgive me thing.

April 7, 2014 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  10. Ejay

Notice: He is not sorry that he did it. He is sorry that he got caught doing it.

April 7, 2014 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  11. Jim Jimson

Republican family values at its best.

April 7, 2014 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  12. Mike

It's amazing the stuff that ends up on the front page, but I specifically remember not reading anything about Leland Yee's corruption arrest. I couldn't care less about both parties, but at least report the important stories of government corruption regardless of political party.

April 7, 2014 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  13. Hadenuffyet

Humans being human.

April 7, 2014 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  14. Wyatt Earp

Yep. Once you get caught fall back on God to help you get thru til you get caught again. How about saying I was caught red handed and hopefully I won't get caught again. Quack Quack

April 7, 2014 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  15. Steve Kellmeyer

Hey, where's that news story on the Senator Yee (D) scandal?

You know, the gun control advocate who was selling guns to terrorist groups?
    That's a little bigger story than a kiss – will we hear anything about that?
    Or is he off-limits because he's a Democrat?

April 7, 2014 11:56 pm at 11:56 pm |
  16. kirkbross

Cue the apology news conference with the awkward, embarrassed looking wife standing by his side. Politics seems to attract the biggest scum bags on earth. All you have to do is be a good talker and you can make a six figure salary. No education, no resume necessary - just talk a good game and worry about the walk later, if ever.

April 8, 2014 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  17. Johan S

Ahh, just another Republican doing what he can to protect the sacred institution of marriage by preventing gays from getting married.

April 8, 2014 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  18. RickFromTexas

Wow, I wonder if the paint used on his freshly painted office door is even dry yet. I could care less whether he's a republican or democrat, this guy's gotta go. Anyone who'd screw up this big so early is bound to be a major ethics problem down the road.

April 8, 2014 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  19. kirkbross

Cue the apology news conference with the awkward, embarrassed wife standing by his side.

Politics sure attracts the biggest scum bags on earth, Democrats and Republicans alike. I think it's the lure of a six figure paycheck with no education or resume required. All you have to do is talk a good talk and worry about the walk later, if ever.

April 8, 2014 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  20. Skeptic

Sorry for the kiss, or sorry he got caught?

April 8, 2014 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  21. Howard

God and his wife can forgive him, but the constituents sure shouldn't. Anyone that hypocritical doesn't deserve to be forgiven by the constituents.

April 8, 2014 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  22. Carole Clarke

They're always sooo sorry – but only after getting caught! How hypocritical. Right after getting elected to a cushy job as a moral man out to make a difference he's caught getting it on with another man's wife. Now you know these two didn't just start the affair that day, it's been going on for the whole campaign. The sad thing is that they will forgive him, he'll get to keep that cushy job and the next bimbo he nets will have to be really discreet. But make no mistake – he WILL do it again. And his children will grow up knowing Dad is a liar and a jerk.

April 8, 2014 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  23. Kent

Does this sorry to my family and god stuff never end? Sorry you got caught? Sorry to your lovers husband? Sorry to your lovers kids? Sorry I'll concentrate more on what you sent me to do? Blah blah blah I'll earn back your trust and then some blah blah blah. This guy and the cheating pastor are sorry so let's move on. If they weren't sorry, well then we could criticize.

April 8, 2014 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  24. wotudezerv

these sicko phoney christian republicans make moral, decent people sick. sorry, dude. let the lord forgive you. i don't want to because it costs you nothing to lie, steal, cheat on your wife, pretend to love her or god or your family or our country, then be found to be the phoney you are and say, "Oh, I have failed!!!!!!!! Forgive me."

any self respecting christian should say, NO. Tell it to the judge and stay away from me. I have reality to live in.

April 8, 2014 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  25. yikes

Hey

look...I'm SORRY that I was caught making-out with one of my paid "consultants"
    I mean, the last thing I want to look like is John Edwards