Poll: Rate of uninsured Americans drops
April 7th, 2014
8 months ago

Poll: Rate of uninsured Americans drops

(CNN) - A new survey indicates 15.6% of Americans don't have health insurance, marking the lowest rate since 2008.

According to a Gallup poll released Monday, the current rate is down from 18% in the third quarter of 2013, which was an all-time high.

The poll comes as good news for the White House, a week after it announced more than 7 million people had signed up on the federal and state exchanges for health care insurance.

The health care law also includes expanded Medicaid insurance for the poor in many states, but those participants are not part of the sign-up total.

For the health care law to work successfully, the Obama administration needs a significant portion of enrollees to be young. According to Gallup, "the uninsured rate dropped by about the same amount among adults aged 26 to 64 as it did among those aged 18-25."

The rate fell across every major demographic group, but it dropped the most for lower-income Americans and African-Americans.

Gallup interviewed 43,562 adults by telephone from January 2 to March 31. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus one percentage point.

CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Obamacare • Polls
  1. Pander Bear

But the most important thing to remember is not that the ACA is working or that the job market has improved. It's that religious freedom is under attack and pretty soon those dang liberals won't allow you to discriminate against anyone!

April 7, 2014 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  2. Silence DoGood

@rla
    Tampa tim– Go get another set of talking points from your dear leader as EVERYONE with a brain knows all you do is spout propaganda for a price
    ------------
    You win – I cannot cover up any longer. I fly the black helicopter full of Quatloos from Area 51 to Tampa Tim as payment to "spout" every week. Unless Big Foot does it.

April 7, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  3. Tampa Tim

Tony D – You are wrong again.

April 7, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  4. rla

Gallop poll show failure of Obama care New CNN headline-– Reality escapes the progressives on this site as well as CNN whose scribes tout the party line much like Pravda did in the past

April 7, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  5. Denise

Religious freedom? Jesus save me from your followers!

April 7, 2014 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  6. rla

Tampa tim and Silence do good– I am happy to hear of your relationship but I am sure your stash has run low and you must hold hands and skip to the medical marajuana shop to contunity the fantasy posts

April 7, 2014 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  7. salty dog

Tony are you kidding, the best policies at one eighth the cost, smoke em if you got em!

April 7, 2014 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  8. Tony D

Denise
    50,700, 000 instant criminals? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

Well, they are refusing to comply with Obamacare laws. Why are you refusing to enforce the law and stop all of these free riders from driving up the costs of healthcare by going to emergency rooms? It is the job of the IRS enforce Obamacare and I am now DEMANDING that Obamacare be enforced, just as the Demorcats want.

It is time for this law to be implemented AS IT WAS PASSED and without all of the changes Obama has made to delay the massive negative affects in it. It is time fotr all of the non-complieres to get a visit from the IRS demanding they sign up or be fined.

Yes, it is time for those that wanted this law to START ENFORCING IT, 100%. Otherwise we have created a legal JOKE. I don't understand the resistance to do this from the leftist Democrats. ENFORCE OBAMACARE!!!! IT IS THE LAW!!!

April 7, 2014 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  9. Tampa Tim

The only failure in regards to the ACA, is the $800 million the Kochs wasted to derail it, the $24 billion republican government shutdown to repeal it, the 54 wasted votes in the house to repeal it, and the 4 years Fox has wasted trying to get people to hate it.

April 7, 2014 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  10. Tony D

salty dog

Again, individual policies WERE THE MOST EXPENSIVE. They were usually the policies taken out by individuals who were independent contractors, consultants, etc. These people make BIG BUCKS. Do you think they bought substandard medical coverage for themselves and their families? You are insane if you believe that. There were several TV commentators (some Democrats!) that had their policies cancelled. Your repeated lies about junk policies has NO BASIS IN FACT.

April 7, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  11. Denise

Just wait until another Obama promise is broken? Is this the best you got? I'm still waiting for the KU and KC Chiefs football to come on.......lol

April 7, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  12. Silence DoGood

Pander Bear
    --------
    I know that less uninsured people, jobs, and no discrimination SOUNDS good, but the conservative think tank has a measured, learned, and detailed point-by-point discussion for this good news: "b-b-b-ba-ba-benghazi!"

April 7, 2014 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  13. Tampa Tim

rla
    The much touted Gallop poll spewed endlessly by the lemming progressives also indicate that the number of newly insured is 3,5 million – NOT THE 7 MIllion claimed and there is no evidence of a surge in the young as again spewed by this distortion machine . So to recap new uninsured to this point 3.5 NOT 7 million and NO surge of young??? Stick that up your marajuana tainted pipes and smoke it!
    ---–
    So, will you believe the real numbers even if Hannity refuses to acknowledge them? It takes a while to get the results in, but I am sure the number is closer to 8 million.

April 7, 2014 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  14. king

aahh aint this a +++, the repubs cant seem to predict disaster and it comes through. i am kinda getting sorry for them and their disaster predictions, because every time one of them say something on fox, every one of them in every arena start saying the same thing, without no kind of logic. these folks keep to the mantra of the day like religion. i wonder when the next mantra of the day is debunked. i wonder if they will start finding their own word or start thinking logically. naaa after all we are talking about the repubs here.

April 7, 2014 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

I've never in my lifetime seen so many people outwardly hoping the country fails....

Americans ought to be ashamed of themselves....

April 7, 2014 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  16. barryinlasvegas

This type of polling is worthless. We need the hard numbers the White House continue to hide from the American people. How old are they, how many had insurance before they were forced on to Obamacare, how many have paid and how many are prisoners?

April 7, 2014 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. salty dog

I agree wake up, and its always from the right, since when is hoping america fails patriotic? Its just nuts, and they just refuse to see it, WTH?

April 7, 2014 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. Denise

Wake Up – Thank goodness, they're in the minority and will continue to be so the more louder they get. Like the yappin dog next door, eventually all neighbors turn over and go back to sleep.....

April 7, 2014 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  19. vet in tx

Hilarious, the same people who believe that Haliburton had no influence to go to Iraq, now believe the "books are cooked" headline, I will now be a republican, not because I believe in the talking point ideology, only because I can tell them anything and they'll believe it, then buy my book, my bottles of tea, my childrens book, gold, computer memory, and a Ronald Reagan email address.

Then I can actually tell them years from now that Obama didn't actually come up with Obamacare, he stole it like the theif he is from us. Eventually the lightbuld will go off in their minds, that the only reason they are against it, is because they don't want Obama to get any credit for that would make his legacy look good. I mean, if I told you I am a republican and I voted for mandated health care and an assault weapons ban you would look at me as if I was crazy......but then again, If I voted for Romney, I voted for what he emplemented during his governorship.......Irony at it's finest. I'm a capitalist and I will be at the next GOP convention with a rubber blow pop stamp, taking your money and stamping your forehead.....thanks suckers.

April 7, 2014 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  20. salty dog

I don't recall saying anything about junk policies, I just doubt that similar plans went up 800%, I don't think that's reasonable. IMHO

April 7, 2014 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  21. salty dog

I can't imagine how an insurance policy like that was cancelled, did it not meet the minimum criteria? And how is cancelling such an extravagant policy his fault, he's not the greedy one here.

April 7, 2014 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  22. rs

Tony D

Denise
    50,700, 000 instant criminals? Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

____________________________
    You do realize the law permits people to opt out, right? They pay a FINE.

April 7, 2014 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  23. 'Murica

But the fact that the all time high was under Obama is OK?

I'm thinking none of you work in the medical field, do you.....(that was rhetorical)

April 7, 2014 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |