April 8th, 2014
3 months ago

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) – The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Non Praying Fool

Whenever the prayer card comes out – it is the same as the racists playing the race card. Fake, phony and absolutely false.

April 8, 2014 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. kingliberal

You know why congressmen don't use bookmarks? They like their pages bent over.

April 8, 2014 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  3. JG

Running on "religion", then kissing his married staffer. Then, inviting a Duck Dynasty hillbilly to the State of the Union address...? No wonder we're having so much trouble getting things done in this country. Look who are congressman are.

April 8, 2014 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  4. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

Remember it takes two to tango... And I don't remember seeing a gun to her head. She is your wife sir, blame her. And I really hope you're not believing it was only a kiss. They're adults not 10 year olds....

April 8, 2014 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. FinalOpinion

Castrate the guy to get rid of his overactive testosterone. Severe punishment, yes, but appropriated for this phony hypocrite that portrays himself as so family values orientated. Will you good people in Louisiana have the balls, to dump him, or will you do what South Carolina did with Mark Sanford, and keep sending these slugs back to Washington.. The castration is figurative of course. :-)

April 8, 2014 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  6. Mr what

Another GOP that believes in a traditional marriage between a woman and a man and woman on a side. DO as I say not as I do. He hiked the Appalachian trail unsuccessfully.....

April 8, 2014 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  7. tonybot3

A person who uses the word "freakin" twice in one paragraph maybe deserves to be cheated on.

April 8, 2014 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  8. Michael W

This is what will happen. He'll ask for prayers for his sin, his wife will forgive him and the people will re-elect him.
    The intern will either be never heard from again or pose for playboy…. Thank you Jesus!

April 8, 2014 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. Walter R

They are only sorry they get caught, two losers locked in a kiss.

April 8, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  10. jcvet33

Wait til the divorce, then everything will be the husband's fault. Liberal divorce lawyers and judges are horrible human beings.

April 8, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  11. ll

He keeps saying how this guy ruined his life, well I'm pretty sure your lovely wife had something to do with it as well. It takes two!!

April 8, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. Lenny Pincus

Was he wearing a diaper like all good philandering Louisiana Republicans?

April 8, 2014 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  13. AJsGrammy

Why is the husband laying all the blame on the Congressman? The Congressman didn't ruin his life, his wife ruined his life.

April 8, 2014 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  14. ja

the so called christian conservatives are not christians by a country mile, most parade with the bible and cross one hand and a sword (high powered weapon) in the other, don't support universal healthcare and Christ didn't heal king and queens, it were the least that he paraded for

April 8, 2014 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. Mandy D

The people of Louisiana if you re-elect this POS you get what you deserve.

April 8, 2014 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. don in albuquerque

Ah, "compassionate conservatism" in spring time. Isn't it inspiring, and doesn't it just give you the warm fuzzies all over?

April 8, 2014 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  17. amira

it takes two....she didn't seem to mind and they both should be ashamed.

April 8, 2014 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |