April 8th, 2014
6 months ago

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) – The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Tampa Tim

McAllister fired the aide, so that should make it all better. That, and McAllister playing the victim card and the religious card simultaneously will get him huge campaign donations from wingnuts.

April 8, 2014 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. tina

So your wife....had nothing to do with it?

April 8, 2014 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  3. The REAL Truth...

yeah, the usual GOP day late and a dollar short apology.. once again leaving behind wrecked lives... Was she coerced? Was it voluntary? Either way the usual trail of wreckage..

April 8, 2014 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  4. salty dog

Stand up guy, of course he won't resign, too addicted to his paycheck, and power he can't handle.

April 8, 2014 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  5. Silence DoGood

" I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Leave your kids and God out of this. Your constituents and wife are the only voters. Unless you are one of those original Constitution folks who would leave Amendments out of things. Then your wife cannot vote. But leave your God out of my government!

April 8, 2014 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. selaw

I find it interesting that only the congressman is to blame... Where is her responsibility in all of this? I don't recall reading that she was forced to do this kissing app. Or is it just that she doesn't hold cloud or political position?

April 8, 2014 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  7. Johnny P

if this guy thinks 'it was just a kiss' I've got a bridge to sell him.

April 8, 2014 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. Marcus Welby

Classic hypocritical Republican. I noticed his shirt was untucked in the first part of the video; my first thought was... Really? An untucked collared shirt at work. I don't think so. makes me wonder what happened out of range of the surveillance cameras...

April 8, 2014 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. denman838

Rep. McAllister needs our forgiveness? Okay, that's fine. We'll forgive you when you step down from office, get out of politics and get a real job. You can't un-ring this bell. Suck it up, put your big boy pants on and get on with your new life, out of the public eye.

April 8, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  10. Rembrant

A field day for right-wingers: He involved God, so it is all OK now.

April 8, 2014 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. DCKeene

“He has wrecked my life,” Peacock, 34, said of McAllister...Ummm....I'm guessing he's forgetting that his wife was doing the kissing too.

April 8, 2014 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  12. Misha Chevalier

I LIKE IT!!! Just think of what he'll be capable of when he's been in CONgress for a few years and knows the system!! I'm looking for BIG things from this VERY capable freshman CONgressman. I think the Duck Dynasty bet on the WRONG horse!! Doh!!! Stupid family values platform!! NOW I hope EVERYONE can see what kind of people are getting into CONgress. They're ALL a bunch of CON artists!! TERM LIMITS!!! Make SERVING your fellow man NOT SO LUCRATIVE!! These guys are in it for easy street and a BIG payday!!

April 8, 2014 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  13. Chris-E...al

Vance should go far away he is 'unsuitable' for office ! Rep or dem . He should step down today .

April 8, 2014 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Hex

“This guy has turned my life upside down.”

WHAT! It was your wife!!! It wasn't the man. The man did was men do and you should be smart enough to see that. Men don't care if a woman is taken, if she's offering or if she's giving it away....we're right there in line. I would expect more from a man. I expect a man to see past the petty emotion of anger toward some random guy. If it wasn't that guy it would have been someone else...that's just a fact. Your wife is the one that caused it...

April 8, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. Shocked!

I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a far right religious conservative is also a hypocrite! The Tea Party is the last refuge of scoundrels.

April 8, 2014 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  16. Thinkergal

It is NEVER "just a kiss"!!!

April 8, 2014 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  17. loveshemp

He wouldn't be remorseful if he hadn't gotten caught.

April 8, 2014 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  18. Honest Abe

Maybe Willie Robertson can give him some of his religious advice about proper marriages between a man and a women and how much better and proper they are than those icky gay people! I mean, obviously these religious hetero married couples know the proper ways to honor their marriages!

April 8, 2014 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  19. ANNIER

I'm ***NOT*** defending him, the Republican hypocrite, who is now now getting all religious!!....But how did HE ruin the woman's marriage? Isn't SHE the one who betrayed her husband? It's like women who find their husbands cheating, they all want to run out and go postal on other woman, instead of the cheating husband.....I'll never understand that!

April 8, 2014 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  20. Silence DoGood

We need to bring back that old bumper sticker: "the Moral Majority is neither"

April 8, 2014 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  21. Sir To You

Just a kiss, not likely. Poor guy. Anyone else tired of politicians preaching family values while pulling this stuff?

April 8, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  22. basedrum777

New GOP Motto: ‘When did you get religious?’ He said, ‘When I needed votes,’

April 8, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  23. Biggins

If I was the hubby I'd be waaaayyy more mad at the wife than the congressman; this type of behavior is apparently commonplace for our elected elite. The wife, however, is a different story. I'd file divorce papers and child custody papers so fast it would make her dizzy. You have her dead to rights, nail the coffin shut and move on. The court will rule in your favor, especially given all the public drama surrounding the egregious act.

April 8, 2014 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. KKAT

It always floors me when people blame the "other" party. I would say the WIFE was the one who broke her vow to the husband – not the congressman. Although both have done something wrong, I would say the wife is the one who turned things "up-side down".

April 8, 2014 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  25. Truth

My ex-wife cheated on me with a politician (married, 2 young kids) as well. When confronted, all he (Marc Gergely) said was "please don't tell my wife". He portrays himself as a family man and honest person to the public, but is far from either. I love seeing these guys get caught and beg the public for forgiveness.

April 8, 2014 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |