April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Buckn

to Jodi, who claims that there is not one word of this on Fox. Well, I didn't believe you, so I took a look. You are wrong. As a matter of fact, it is just as long and just as in depth as this one on CNN.
    Why do you like to spread stories like that?

April 8, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. glauber

I love how the husband blames the other man for his wife making out with him, as though she had no agency or decision-making power in the matter whatsoever. It's like letting the bank robber off with a light sentence and putting the getaway driver away for 25 to life.

April 8, 2014 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. David

@clouseau2 above – you are mighty right Inspector!

April 8, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. John

Perfect GOP candidate for re-election....fits the profile
    .........care about myself, not others
    .........just make my deal sweeter, the heck with the poor and middle class
    .........do not vote "as I do".....vote as I say

April 8, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Tom l

A lot of "yeah, buts" here. Is anyone ever going to simply acknowledge the faults and shortcomings on their own team without pointing out the other side's faults? Both sides do not care about you nor do they follow what they say and live their lives the way they tell us to live ours. You have the repubs version of that here. You have Leland Yee from California on the dem side and we give too many examples on BOTH sides.

April 8, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  6. Sigh

Does he mean his wife wrecked his life? That kiss was not forced.

April 8, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  7. Just Some Dude

I certainly don't condone what he did but why isn't someone asking why it's okay to spy on someone & videotape through their window? Invasion of privacy maybe?

April 8, 2014 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  8. Bookldy209

I think your wife may own some part of this, Skippy. Pity the poor children so publicly exposed.

April 8, 2014 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  9. Mark Bunch

I NEVER understand how the blame for these things always gets laid at the feet of the other person... His WIFE is the one that promised to be faithful to him...The senator while undoubtedly a cad, DID not ruin this mans life! His WIFE is the one who decided to CHEAT on him, emotionally or otherwise..... I guess that would not make a good story though.

April 8, 2014 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  10. aziolko

People think they can do anything they want and an apology will fix it. These people are an insult to the public that elects them. If you accept this man's apology, he will laugh at you for the rest of his life.

April 8, 2014 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  11. Sherman

Wow, he did not even get close to what Bill Clinton did, got and he's laibled a cheater, is this a double standard by the left or what??

April 8, 2014 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  12. @shamari_feaster

don't blame the guy, your wife seemed perfectly willing to make out with him.

April 8, 2014 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. Bill, NY

The kiss was the only thing on record, but I'd hazard a guess that there was a lot more to it than just one kiss.

April 8, 2014 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. SeattleReign

You can't make these things up. When a party portrays itself as the paragon of family values, Christian moral conduct,, the holier than thou, self righteous examples of correctness, the rest of us infidels can't help but be amused at the obvious. Not saying the other party hasn't had its share of indiscretions, but at least they have NEVER portrayed themselves as above it all and somehow flawless.

April 8, 2014 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. Dorothy

“He broke out the religious card and he’s about the most non-religious person I know."

Thanks, God, for the video.

April 8, 2014 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  16. williebkind

The last thing anyone needs to hear is a person who condons perverted behavior criticizing someone else's mistakes.

April 8, 2014 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  17. harpomang

"I became religious when I needed votes..." is a sarcastic admission to not being a Christian, yet somehow this non-Christian's actions are used to mock and insult Christianity.

April 8, 2014 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  18. jason

GOP: Still destroying lives, sometimes of their own

April 8, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  19. Aston

It would be more interesting if he kissed Ted Cruz...

April 8, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  20. harpomang

"I became religious when I needed votes..." is an admission to not being a Christian, yet somehow this non-Christian's actions are used to mock and insult Christianity.

April 8, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. greybees

Another Tea Bag hypocrite.

April 8, 2014 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. cc423

It was just a kiss? PLEASE. People who kiss like that are doing a whole lot more behind closed doors...

April 8, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  23. Andrew

Remember this is between him, his wife, his mistress, and his God. We should not be surprised how did these people not know they were under surveillance. Looks like both sides are guilty, so they both need to be responsible for their actions. The ethical man knows he should not cheat, the moral man does not cheat. (Ducky NCIS)

April 8, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  24. ThAdEa

The wife is at fault. And the congressman as well.

Strict laws should be passed about adultery

April 8, 2014 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  25. Korkea Aika

Why can't everyone just say 'It Is What It Is' and grow up. I, for one, would be greatful to find out that my wife is untrustworthy. The problem is not the kiss or the infidelity. It is that grown-up people cannot accept reality as it is.

April 8, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |