April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Joe Madden

You know enough is enough. The I made a mistake thing and I love my wife is bull. You do not love your wife if you cheat. The fact that people use the same mistake that "I made a mistake" and its ok. Go and hide behind your religion too. I love "He is a religious person but its ok to make a mistake. There are some mistakes that are not ok. This guy is another bum using the same tactics that people use all the time. So go ahead and say its ok and teach your children that it is ok to keep making big mistakes.

April 8, 2014 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. smith

@Malory- Just a few weeks ago there were several post on the topic of the monica scandal. Several comments were saying its no big deal.

April 8, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  3. LogicalOne

Everyone feels bad when they get caught.

April 8, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  4. glKert

This about men and women who can't stay faithful to there married otherhalf. Why would anyone destroy there childen for few minutes of so called enjoyment, It's the childen that suffer what there parents do. HAVE ON PITY ON BOTH OF THESE CHEATERS.

April 8, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. Bill, Bloomington Il

perfect prediction of lies from liberals "Not one word about this on Fox". Fox is where I first learned of this. Bill Clinton anyone? Anyone? Liberals do nto have the right to an opinion on this since most still back Clinton.

April 8, 2014 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  6. Marcel Banzini

I've fallen short. Like he almost won a race or something. What you did is get caught at being the huge zero morals fake that you are.

April 8, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  7. findingalicia5683

In my opinion, Melissa's husband is majorly over-reacting by saying "he has wrecked my life, we're headed for divorce." Seriously, over a freaking kiss? Clearly their marriage wasn't strong enough to last if he's going to divorce her over a kiss and he's obviously a big baby for believing this has wrecked his life.

Please, tell me I'm not the only one that wouldn't divorce my husband all because of a kiss? There are other options. She doesn't work there anymore and they could move somewhere else to start over, marriage counseling, etc. Why do people immediately jump straight to divorce without considering all the options out there to assist you in repairing damage. A marriage is never flawless. If there are children involved, divorce should be the very last resort and not an option until all other ways to reconcile have been exhausted!

April 8, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  8. truegrit54

Everybody knows about the "yeah buts" and the fact that both parties have politicians who are guilty. However, it is the Republicans stance on perfect values and morals that so enrages people when they cheat. They have no problem voting against gay marriage because it undermines the "fabric of society" all the while kissing someone elses wife. How can you not see the total hypocrasy with that?

April 8, 2014 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  9. richard

The husband is a fool if he believes it was just a kiss...

April 8, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  10. Joe Madden

This girl needs to take blame too. She is the one that allowed it. If someone came close to me and tried to kiss me, I wouldn't let them. People today just like to blame others when they do wrong. Both of these people ruined their life not anyone else.

April 8, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  11. Kate

This is obviously a full blown affair. Her husband is naive to think that it was "just a kiss." That was obviously not a first kiss – they seem pretty comfortable making out. It looks like the end of a long session in his office – his shirt was untucked. The chances of two adults who look that comfortable making out without having slept together are ... 0.

April 8, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. Brett Champion

If he's getting divorced over that, then I'm surprised the two of them made it as far as they did. That seems an exceptionally immature response. I guess he didn't love, or perhaps even respect, his wife as much as he thought he did.

April 8, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. Edward

@Buckn: I checked the Fox News site and if this story is on there, they have it very well hidden. Your ploy worked though, I did go to the Fox News site. Fair & Balanced? Seriously?

April 8, 2014 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. Tony

Jodi,

Fox News reported on this story yesterday, check it out. Recommend you FIRST have your facts straight before making blind comments.

April 8, 2014 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  15. drew

"“I’m just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. "

This may be just become my new catchphrase.

April 8, 2014 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. CJ

I love how he asks God for forgiveness, before his Wife!! What a typical pathetic politician. How about apologizing to her husband too? Both the politician and this lady are garbage.

April 8, 2014 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  17. E.Robert

Dude, It would have happened regardless. He could have been anyone. That lady leaned into him. Blame your own wife.

April 8, 2014 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  18. Steve1959

Robert Constant – you're not even close. The top five states for divorce rates are Nevada (14.2%), Maine (13.6%), Oklahoma (12.9%), Oregon (12.8%), and Vermont (12.6%). Of course, the bottom five are North Dakota, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and Hawaii. All of which has more to do with the ease or cost of getting a divorce than anything else. You were probably referring to the Huffington Post article of the number of people who identified themselves as divorced.

April 8, 2014 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  19. Woody's Hay

Supreme Court will be ruling this as "Free Speech" in a 5-4 ruling.

April 8, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  20. oldbear60

The infidelity by the wife and congressman is bad enough, but the hypocricy by the congressman is worse. Breaks a major commandment and claims he's a good christian. Hopefully the voters will make him a one termer.

April 8, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  21. dfwelch

1) If you believe "it was just a kiss," then you're delusional.
    2) But regardless, it seems a little disingenuous to be laying the blame for the destroyed marriage in the lap of the politician!

Your wife didn't play any role in the destruction of the marriage!?!?!?

April 8, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  22. SUE

I really don't understand? I know it was just kissing but this is a Christian right wing politician that belittles and condemns liberal progressive politics. He puts down everything one and everything that he has not been indoctrinated with. Yet, he is not different that anyother human being that makes mistakes. Maybe he'll think twice before joining his fanatical friends and politicians when they try and destroy the poor and middle class.

April 8, 2014 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  23. DJ Reality

Wow another Christian conservative. Such high moral values. He should resign and go work for those "fair and balanced" folks. He'll fit right in.

April 8, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  24. Sniffit

"doesn't blame his wife at all."

is that why he said they're getting a divorce now?

April 8, 2014 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  25. Me

Malory Archer

Kareno

Yeh when Clinton did it he got a impeached. Different rules for different people I guess....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FIFY
    ____________________
    You and the gang constantly insist that he was never actually impeached but now all of a sudden you say he was?? You might want to start keeping a list of all your lies so you can keep them straight!

April 8, 2014 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |