April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Lola

He's apologized to everyone but her. Why should he apologize to her? She's just as culpable.

April 8, 2014 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. SUE

Sorry, I meant "He puts down everything and everone that he has been indoctrinated to believe is beneath him".

April 8, 2014 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. CJ

I love how he asks God for forgiveness, before his Wife!! What a typical pathetic politician. How about apologizing to her husband too? Both the politician and this lady are garbage. Your not sorry about doing it. You're just sorry for getting caught.

April 8, 2014 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. sonny chapman

A Teachable Moment ? Repubs. & Dems. have been Unfaithful before & will be again. Ergo: Repubs. AND Dems. are both HUMAN BEINGS !

April 8, 2014 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. oldbear60

And for all of you upset because he's talking divorce over a kiss- I'd be suprised if there wasn't a lot more going on, but the ultimate thing is TRUST. no marriage works without it and how can he ever trust her again ?

April 8, 2014 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  6. Alan

Liberals on here are complaining Fox News "buried the story". You mean like the liberal media buried Benghazi, the IRS scandal, Obama lies about Obamacare?

April 8, 2014 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. yeahright

as opposed to the democrat party family values of murdering babies.
    ==============================
    Oh, yeah, right just saying.

Because we ALL know that no republican women have abortions.

April 8, 2014 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. jar1807

If your wife is making out with some guy, it's not just the guy who ruined your life. Grow up. She had the hots for the Congressman and was a willing participant.

April 8, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. olepi

You are probably better off. Your wife wasn't resisting.

April 8, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Average Guy

Don't judge these people. We have all done something that wasn't right and hurt another person. Don't give me the "well it's not the same" scenario because hurting someone is hurting someone. Temptation is a very strong thing. Not to be taken lightly. Until you have been faced with this temptation don't judge. In addition, you have no idea what these people's home lives were like. The husband could be a jerk. Maybe the wife who kissed the man wasn't being loved at home. Everyone screws up. Yes, it's hurtful to many people but now it's time to face the music. Move on.

April 8, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  11. smith

@Rudy- No matter how much you,Malory and Tom P spin and spin you cannot deny the double standard relating Clinton cheating and this moron cheating.

April 8, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  12. CherryMama

This is why you don't kiss and tell. Or make sure there's no cameras or media around!

April 8, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. dkc_2001

He was as religious as his voters needed him to be, based on that story. Getting what he deserved.

April 8, 2014 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. Sniffit

""doesn't blame his wife at all.""

Just because someone says "I like chocolate ice cream" doesn't mean you can infer that they don't like vanilla ice cream. He's divorcing her because of this (read the d-mn article). He CLEARLY blames them BOTH for it because guess what? They BOTH are at fault.

April 8, 2014 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  15. annebeth66

Nasty GOP hypocrites always yelling about God, Gays and Guns but never mentioning all the cheating, fornicating and adultery that they do. I have more respect for 2 men that are married to each other, than a man who cheats on his wife, but when caught hollers “I’m sorry but I’ve found God!” It gets real old, real fast.

April 8, 2014 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  16. givemeglenn

I have to wonder how this will be "spun" by those with such high moral standards so that they can continue to support politicians like him because of their desire to protect their own, personal, status in life rather than help the lower and middle class earn a fair living? If he truly believes that his actions are immoral, then he should immediately resign and never run for public office again. If if fails to do so, then those who say they abhor this type of behavior also need to put up or shut up – stop supporting hypocrites like him; demand he resign and stop funding him.

And by the way, this should be applicable to BOTH parties; you pull a boneheaded stunt that violates the public trust; get out and never get back in. And no public or private funds should EVER be sent your way because all it does is enable the poor behavior and say you can get a do-over regardless of being dishonest.

April 8, 2014 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. denfree

another politician hiding behind his so called religion do as I say not as I do

April 8, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  18. jesus

Republicans. What else is there to say.

April 8, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. dickei

To the people that say it was just a kiss. You think normal people just kiss like that one time? These two have been porking around for some time. They are just sorry they got caught. A hypocrite and a cheater is all they are. The man is obviously a politician that will say and do anything to get ahead. The woman is dumb for falling for it.

April 8, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. Rich

I am curious as to (1) what is this "surveillance video" that captured the event and (2) why was it given to a local newspaper. What's up with that?

April 8, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. BRB

Just kiss and make up. Your wife will own you for the rest of your life. Personally, I would go with the new girlfriend until your wife crawls back to you – it will happen, just be patient.

April 8, 2014 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  22. jcvet33

Wait til she also gets everything he has in the divorce.

April 8, 2014 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  23. GKC

If they were going as far as risking a make-out session the office; I'm sure more went on beforehand to take on that much risk...I doubt they have only kissed, but are stating it was "just a kiss" since that's what they were (only) caught doing...think about that in your heart of hearts, you know they were having a full-on affair covering all the bases. You don't just passionately make-out in the office on your first encounter... Typical let's act on emotion and rationalize our actions later (if we need to)...sorry, life doesn't work that way, especially with children and families involved. The wife and congressman are equally accountable. She should be divorced and he should be out of a job (and divorced). You broke the rules, time to pay for it...and I agree with the husband, these two selfish people ruined his current situation/family (not his life though...he has his child and future)...

April 8, 2014 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  24. so much for honesty

Keep on spinning those lies, you're only sorry you got caught... If anyone ruined your life you did, man up!

April 8, 2014 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  25. williebkind

I sure hope I can be as good a Christian as liberals think people should be but dont believe in it at all....hmmm sounds just like an attack on religion. Just what the liberal agenda calls for.

April 8, 2014 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |