April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. OK

Bob Hope's Ghost

remember when the libs said clinton's BJ was a non story? Yet here they are, making a huge deal out of a kiss.

___________

It is not about a kiss. It is about the hypocrisy.

April 8, 2014 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  2. jcvet33

Just wait until she gets everything he has in the divorce. Things will get worse.

April 8, 2014 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  3. Reader

:McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative " ...lmfao – it never fails.

April 8, 2014 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  4. dpts85

So she didn't ruin his life? It takes two to tango buddy. She is just as guilty as he is. SHE ruined your life because if it wasn't with him it would've been with someone else. Seems like you should thank him for helping you put the pieces to the puzzle. That's just how I would handle it.

April 8, 2014 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. COlady

Sorry, Heath, but this wasn't a one-sided deal. Your wife ruined your life by having a fling with someone else. This time, it just happened to be the congressman she was working for. You can blame him, but you have to hold her 50% to blame as well.

April 8, 2014 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. Robert Goodbar

The Senator is "sorry" sorry he got caught,that's all!!!! super hypocrite Religion was a stepping stone he used to get elected.Like most politicians he told the electorate what they wanted to hear that is all!!! There are TWO 2 people at fault here Remember "THE WOMAN ALWAYS DRIVES THE BUS,THE MAN WILL ONLY GO AS FAR AS SHE LETS HIM key words here LETS him.The "wronged " husband should focus on his cheating wife -I am sure there was much more going on than was captured in a 20 second clip!!! However using the same logic the American people used with Clinton whats the big deal right? Family values,religion only use in case they are needed!!!

April 8, 2014 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  7. williebkind

Dont you just hate it when it is a man and a women?

April 8, 2014 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  8. jcvet33

And full custody of the kid and alimony and child support and attorney fees .A woman screws around and comes out smelling like a rose and a lot richer. The same thing happened to me.

April 8, 2014 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Women are so much more forgiving than men can ever be...his life will go on as if nothing happened.. and she claims he ruined her life?? Really it takes two...

April 8, 2014 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  10. supchi

@lola, Heath is the husband of the woman who kissed the congressman. The husband is complaining the congressman did not apologize to him... I don;t know if it would change anything though..

April 8, 2014 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  11. Jeff

I'm sure the Republicans are relieved that it was a woman he was canoodling with.

April 8, 2014 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  12. Name

What exactly do you expect from a politician? Their sole job is to cheat, lie, and steal.

April 8, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  13. Rosslaw

David Vitter felt a sudden and uncontrollable need to visit the troops in Iraq the week after his story broke and before his D.C. madam was found hanging by her neck. I wonder how McAlister would like Afghanistan for a week or so?

April 8, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. morrie

He should give his wife a divorce otherwise the so called christian conservatives will be upset just like they are upset because Hillery didn't divorce Bill.

April 8, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  15. Rich

"The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage."

And what about his wife, what role does he think she plays in all of this, or is his outrage only directed at the politician?

April 8, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  16. Me

Silence DoGood

@Tommy G
    It is a personal matter... Nothing to see here. If Bill Clinton could get hummers in the White House while on the phone with Congressmen and the Democrats had no problem with that then what is all the big hubbub about this? Enough of the hypocrisy Democrats.
    ---–
    Let's compare. Tommy G's comment on last article – conservatives have a "sliding scale" for morality:
    Tommy G
    "Bill Clinton set the precedent for this with his long history abusing females and continue dit when he got into the White House.. Democrats screamed it was all a personal matter. Given the Demorcat Party's endless cases of mistreating woman, you have to be a total fool to believe their war on woman BS. Democrats are the only ones waging a real war on women, and using them when it is convenient in between all the abuse."
    __________________________
    Sounds like the same message to me, I guess I don't get it??

April 8, 2014 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  17. stewart

typical congressman the rules are for everyone else not me. vote them all OUT this year no reelections of anyone of them

April 8, 2014 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Brenda

Maybe now he will be thrown out and Willy Robertson will run for office.

April 8, 2014 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  19. BorisRoberts

Ok. I'd be willing to bet that it was a lot more than a kiss.

April 8, 2014 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Maximus

What a low life this congressman is...He needs help resigning immediately

April 8, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  21. Nancy Hanneman

Why are they so remorseful after they get caught?? Then apologize and move on to the next.

April 8, 2014 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  22. Alina1

This kind of stuff is victimizing the kids.. that poor 6 year old boy is going to be shared now between the parents...

April 8, 2014 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  23. Crazy!

This husband is blaming the Congressman for wrecking his life. What about the woman, his wife? It takes two to do this! I love how people always blame the other person – not the one they are involved with/married to. They were BOTH wrong!

April 8, 2014 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. Deej

I just love all these anti gay marriage slimewads who claim allowing gays to marry would damage traditional marriage. You know, the old "it'll crumble the foundation of true Christian marriage" folks. Amazing how many of them are this uncommitted to their own marriages.

April 8, 2014 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  25. jcvet33

His only hope in court is to try to prove she was on drugs and was a horrible mother. Judges don't care anymore if a woman commits adultery. Please don't waste your time and money beating that dead horse in court. Try to make her out to be a sorry mother to get at least some some custody with your child.

April 8, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |