April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. james

Fire him and lets elect another HONEST congressman LOL

April 8, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. Alex

I do think it was her up at the alter making him promises, and not the Congressman. But I feel very bad for the guy since his wife has broken his heart.

April 8, 2014 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. biggerdawg

There will be no big settlement for her. Her infidelity is on video. Done.

April 8, 2014 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. Bob

Dude, your wife ruined your life, not the congressman. She didn't have to kiss him and it didn't look like she was being forced. If at any time she felt uncomfortable, she could have told you about it and quit her job. In the mean time, you owe it to your 6 year old to work it out.

April 8, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  5. Bagocolts

Morals aside. Here is a US Congressman who is not even smart enough to steal a kiss without getting caught on video. Hope this guy is not on the House Intelligence Committee.

April 8, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  6. jcvet33

He should be allowed to kill the guy. IMO.

April 8, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  7. jay howard

Yet another Republican Man of Character... and PoS. At least it was a woman he was kissing and not a child or animal, and he wasn't wearing diapers like Republican David Vitter.

April 8, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. kurt

"So she didn't ruin his life? It takes two to tango buddy. She is just as guilty as he is. SHE ruined your life because if it wasn't with him it would've been with someone else. Seems like you should thank him for helping you put the pieces to the puzzle. That's just how I would handle it."

Without knowing the specifics, when you are looking at a workplace affair like this, the person who's the boss tends to deserve more of the blame. If she was concerned about losing her job, she very well may have agreed to something she otherwise wouldn't have.

Both the wife and the congressman deserve blame in this. But absolving the congressman of blame and laying it all on the wife is a poor way to look at it I think. Using a position of power to coerce a subordinate into an affair is pretty crappy behavior. Worse if you yourself are married with children.

April 8, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. underwaterops

And he is up for re-election in just five months?
    I doubt I'd get favorable odds on any bet for re-election.

April 8, 2014 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. Vic of New york

Why is it it's always RIGHT WING pigs that find "Religion" and ask "forgiveness" once they're discovered porking the maid? Where's thier charity for the poor, the sick, immigrants, elderly, the uninsured or out of work?
    Humbug! I say the only way to freedom, justice and equality for thier kind will come when we pull out the Guilotiune and start liberating our society from the Right Wing trash!

April 8, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. jz

It's not that only people from one party do these kinds of things. It's just that Republicans tend to be the ones most vocally declaring the importance of traditional family values, so it comes off as more hypocritical. That, and seeming to be more readily forgiven by just asking god for forgiveness (and no, Clinton did not get a pass – it definitely impacted the 2000 election. Only many years later were people kind of over it)

April 8, 2014 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Will

Uh, what??? Wow, talk about denial! This guy's got a cheating wife and all he can think to do is blame her boyfriend(s)? If only Rep. McAllister hadn't kissed his wife, everything would be OK? That's amazing naiveté. If your wife is kissing someone else, there's something wrong with your marriage...

April 8, 2014 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  13. Tom

I would say his wife has 'wrecked" his life, not the congressman.

April 8, 2014 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  14. Mike

I just love it that Republicans keep screwing up and getting caught!

April 8, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  15. Pathetic

"It was just a kiss. That was all it was. But it embarrassed me" . . . "We are headed for divorce."

That is pitiful. Be a man. Deal with it. Don't rip your family apart over a kiss. Anyone who says "I lovED her" past tense about his wife of many years and mother of his children after just a kiss is a pathetic excuse for a man. Get real and get your life back to gather rather than running away crying because you are embarrassed.

April 8, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  16. BuffOrpington

Reminds me of when the sanctimonious hypocrites Henry Hyde and Bob Livingston were exposed as adulterers during the Clinton witch hunt.

April 8, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  17. Ole Bull

As the great John Feinstein said

"Why is Divorce so expensive? Cause its worth it!"

April 8, 2014 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"I sure hope I can be as good a Christian as liberals think people should be but dont believe in it at all....hmmm sounds just like an attack on religion. Just what the liberal agenda calls for."

It has nothing to do with an attack on religion. It has to do with an attack on this jerk's hypocrisy. He ran as a holier-than-thou bible-beating "family values" candidate and he got caught in his lie. THAT is what it's about. Had he not run on that platform, he'd be just another jackhole politician unable to control his urges. Instead, he ran on a platform PRETENDING to be a "good Christian" and telling everyone that he'd do everything he could to make the law of the land mimic the law of the Bible, because he supposedly believed it so deeply and lived it so purely. Christian conservative voters should be furious that they are consistently being DUPED by exactly this kind of person.

April 8, 2014 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  19. harrisonhits2

Just another piece of the human filth that populates congress. Every member of both parties is utterly and totally corrupt. Their only goal is servicing their own enormous greed and that of their corporate owners.

April 8, 2014 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  20. Daniel

I think he wanted a divorce for a while. This cinched the deal. This kiss was his get out of jail card.

April 8, 2014 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  21. Berry

This guy is acting like his wife is a victim here. She is as much at fault. What the wayward politician did is no surprise, but clearly his wife isn't the peach he thought either!

April 8, 2014 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  22. JP

Always try to justify everything by what Clinton did eh? Hell, everyone suspected Clinton when he was running because of previous 'incidents', but he wasn't running around the country telling everyone to vote for him because he was a loving Christian family man. He focused on economics. Besides, don't you all remember how the right went crazy when Clinton was caught? Where is the righteous anger of the obviously snowed Christian voters now?
    The sad thing is that this isn't even remotely the same issue. This is about the fact that this congressman (like many of these right wing politicians) ran specifically on a higher 'moral ground' platform. He won by specifically target the Christian voter pool to vote for him to represent their values. Its like the head of Exxon running on a 'green energy' platform.
    No one is perfect, but these guys are by far the most hypocritical of the bunch

April 8, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  23. dage

“It was just a kiss, that was all it was"

This got to be the most delusional statement ever. Did Heath honestly believe that his wife never slept with that guy?

April 8, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  24. rockstart42

Whats funny is she said "it was only a Kiss". Why do women this its ok for them to kiss someone but not the other way around.

April 8, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  25. Doug

But they are good Christians. Divorce isn't permitted. Neither is the sin of kissing somebody who isn't your husband. I believe this is where in the Bible the recommend a good stoning.

April 8, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |