April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. magicpanties

My invisible pink unicorn is praying that McAllister get a clue.

April 8, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. Big_D

He is different than the rest of the GOP in one way. He wants to take your health insurance away and your wife too!

April 8, 2014 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  3. Timmy

Difference between this and Clinton? Clinton didn't run as a conservative preaching these values... Does anyone use common sense now to know the difference?

April 8, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. moiraesfate

So she cheated on her husband and got caught and the congressman wrecked her life? I agree, he's a slimeball but it's not him that wrecked her life, it's her. She didn't HAVE to kiss him (or anything else she's finding it a good idea to deny but I'm willing to bet she actually did). Cheating spouses deserve what they get.

April 8, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  5. chaing

Another God, country and family values hypocrite! In both parties this is a problem. How can we trust what you do when you BS the public then, in your first term yet, you show us what you are about! And you have the ba__s to tell us you wont leave. Creep!!

April 8, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  6. Sniffit

"And what about his wife, what role does he think she plays in all of this"

The role he thinks she plays: recipient of divorce papers. READ. THE. ARTICLE. He clearly can't stand to stay married to her and blames her. You guys sound foolish when all you read is the headline. What's more, it's a giant logic fail to conclude that he doesn't blame his wife just because the quotes the article offers are of him blaming this politician....especially when the quotes have him also talking about divorce.

April 8, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. stumandoo

The cameras only caught the kissing.

April 8, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. Pol1tical

Where do people get the idea he isn't blaming his wife? They are getting a divorce. Or did you selectively forget to read that part? Way to shift blame from a man who ran on Christian values. Did he forget she had a family too?

April 8, 2014 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  9. EG

Not enough to screw up lives with their lawmaking, have to be thorough and creep with your wife....tax dollars at work!

April 8, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. Alex

Enough with the democrats are hypocrits because of Clinton. First, it works both ways,,,, why do republican act like Clinton was a big deal and this is not... that is just as hypocritical. Second and more importantly, Clinton's indiscrection was the result of a $60 million witch hunt for a political purposes using taxpayer money. Now we have Rep Issa spending over $10 million at the IRS perfroming investigations and over $16 million at the CIA performing Benghazi investigations when neither has turned up anything. Republicans are the masters of wasting money digging for dirt for political smears. Yet when their reps are cheaters after claiming to be so morally superior to the rest of the country, that is no big deal?

April 8, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. TiltedSystem

There is no need for an attack on religion. They've done more damage to themselves than I'll ever be able to do.

Nothing but a pathetic cult like the man pictured above. What a tool... I hope he chokes on a chicken leg

April 8, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  12. gone postal

this goes on everyday. if you're a woman check out eccie.net . see where guys are putting their money when they go out for a quick trip.

April 8, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. JoeBlow

They forgot to mention that Mr. Congressman didn't have his pants on, and neither did she. More than just a kiss...Lol!

April 8, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. JJR

This story is useless without pictures of the she.

April 8, 2014 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. JOE B

Another Republican Congressman who ran on campaign of Family Values. The only thing this man values is the wife of another family man.

There should be a law such that when an elected representative does this, he is immediately kicked out of office and loses all future pay and benefits. This man is an outright pig!

Here he is now asking for forgiveness. He has every intent on continuing his bad behavior. He plans to just be more careful in not getting caught. He's going to snow his wife and the people serves with empty lies. Vance McAllister is a very bad man.

April 8, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. zoomzoom

Vance needs 2 git er done + RESIGN! Once a cheater..well you know. Tired of the empty `sorries` by these gutless wonders! There`s only 1 judge in this world but it does appear that the adultress wife was no virgin when she wed! You get what you give in the end- was it worth it?!

April 8, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  17. bellaterra66

Hubby needs to grow up. I understand that it's not the kiss but the hypocrisy - but things like this happen in marriages. What this video and hypocrisy primarily say is: "Hubby, your marriage has a problem. Work on it." Just don't compound the problem by getting a divorce. And shame on the news media for exposing the woman. I know that this had to come to light re the congressman, but - couldn't you have left the woman alone.

April 8, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  18. OSUTKE

Probably not a very solid marriage if a kiss/make out can destroy it.

April 8, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  19. AC

How about OUTLAWING THE GOP.
    IT IS TIME.

April 8, 2014 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. JOE B

Another Republican Congressman who ran on campaign of family values. The only thing this man values is the wife of another family man.

There should be a law such that when an elected representative does this, he is immediately kicked out of office and loses all future pay and benefits. This man is an outright piggi!

Here he is now asking for forgiveness. He has every intent on continuing his badd behhavior. He plans to just be more carefut. He's going to snow his wife and the people serves with empty lies. Vance McAllister is a very badd man.

April 8, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  21. JOE B

April 8, 2014 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  22. Woody's Hay

I remember a female RWer saying something along the lines of "it's the woman's fault when her man cheats because he isn't getting what he needs at home." (I think it was in preparation for Hillary 2008 run).

So, with that logic, this guy must not have been giving his wife what she needed, if she's cheating on her husband.

(BTW, a few years back, a RW radio DJ in Akron found out his newest child wasn't biologically related to him in the least. Never put that on the air, nor did he recognize the logic I just listed in this post).

April 8, 2014 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. matt

As a long time Republican, I have to say this behavior don't fly. They both should be kicked to the curb. Were supposed to have the moral high ground, and we have to maintain that standard. We don't cut Obama and the Clintons no slack, and others, who betray public trust. This guy sounds, and acts like a dirt bag, and should never be given our trust again! Yes it takes two, I feel for the guy, but its best to really know who you're married to. Its hard to think where those lips have been when she gets home and kisses you good night. Nasty!

April 8, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  24. Lenny Pincus

Now word comes out that this guy isn't religious at all. The best quote: "I'm religious when I need votes."

Oh yeah, he fired the woman today. Wingers will fall for anything as long as God's on board.

April 8, 2014 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  25. Kev

Here's the difference people... Democrats don't run on family values, Republicans do. I'm not suggesting when a person of either party has acts of infidelity it is ok, I'm merely stating that Republicans, like Vance, make themselves out to be the Christian family values party so when they occurs these acts of infidelity the hypocrisy is much more pronounced.

April 8, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |