April 8th, 2014
7 months ago

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) – The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Susan

Another Louisiana politician cheating on his wife, but red louisianas will vote him back in.

April 8, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. C.L. Martin

@supchi

"@lola, Heath is the husband of the woman who kissed the congressman. The husband is complaining the congressman did not apologize to him... I don;t know if it would change anything though.."

Ha! This whole thing kills me!
    What's the congressman going to tell this guy? "Hey, uhm...sorry for banging your wife and all that. We cool now dude?"

No amount of pretending to be Christian can take the trash out of White Trash. I'll be laughing all day at this one!

April 8, 2014 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. Terry

Just another worthless politician not unlike the pastor from the mega church people follow around like sheeple because they cant think for themselves. One party is as bad as the other and we continue to elect the same crap to office.

April 8, 2014 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Wondering

Sorry Heath, but I'm sure your wife did more than a simple little kiss. If she was willing to kiss him, she has already done other things with him. If she's telling you different, she's lying....just like she did when she promised to stay true to you. Dump her and focus on your son and his future.

April 8, 2014 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Tampa Tim

You wingnuts should be comparing McAllister to Newt.

April 8, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. Ed

Heath needs to take a look at his wife if he is looking for blame, not just the congressman. Heath, did your WIFE apologize to you? She shares 50% of the responsibility for this transgression. Don't make it seem like it was 100% the congressman's fault. The wife is equally responsible in this lack of judgement.

April 8, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. pkfops01

Could have been worse; he could have been taped kissing a dude.

April 8, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  8. Ummm

Ummm what about your wife? Why are you blaming this guy. It takes two. Your wife is where your disgust and anger should be. She wasn't forced into anything.

April 8, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. Malory Archer

moiraesfate

So she cheated on her husband and got caught and the congressman wrecked her life? I agree, he's a slimeball but it's not him that wrecked her life, it's her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, except SHE isn't the one who claimed her life was ruined – her HUSBAND says HIS life is ruined. Reading IS fundamental!

April 8, 2014 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. Thomas

The red button on his lapel gives him the right to mess around with your wife in the name of freedom .

A true conservative patriot .

April 8, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. Icarus10

Just another typical Republican, morals only apply to other people.

April 8, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. max099

When the holier than thou Christian republicans get caught being a little unholy they always invoke god, ask for forgiveness, and continue on their merry way. All the while criticizing the way the rest of us unholy "heathens" live our lives and enacting laws to ensure you won't sin. Holier than thou Christians are nothing but hypocrites. May the voters of Louisiana return him to the swamp along with his Duck Commander idol.

April 8, 2014 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  13. Richard Miller

I just love the new morality of the teabagger republicans. But ya know, he is the only one that got caught! A kis is just a kiss but it does make you wonder what else was being kissed!

April 8, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. Vivien

The congressman is a sleaze, but you should blame your wife, sir. She is the one who has the obligation to be faithful to you.

April 8, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Hellscreamgold

"He has wrecked my life..."

Umm, dude...hate to tell you, but he didn't kiss himself. Your wife played her part...

April 8, 2014 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  16. Hellscreamgold

Icarus10

Just another typical Republican, morals only apply to other people.
    ====================================================

LOL – says the guy who voted for Clinton

April 8, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. SmartPotato

Pphft. That was not "just a kiss"–those two just. got. done.

April 8, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  18. steve

come on this gop guy will do nothing about it.. pray and keep his job.. what a joke..... they all need to be taken out.. of office. but most people are like sheep.... he will keep his job.. not a problem hope the husband of the wife who was involved getting custody of the child as well.. .... oh well he is a goper diff. set of rules... holy crap just imagine if he took a pic of himself in his tighty whities........ vote indy next time cant be anyworse....

April 8, 2014 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. sdfrankie

I'm starting to suspect this whole religion thing is just a big scam.

April 8, 2014 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. Cheetahe

There is no party monopoly in hypocrisy by all these morally bankrupt politicians who are representing us in Washington.

April 8, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  21. Jomm

Kev, you just summed it up

April 8, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  22. Anthony

I would not have a problem with some dude wanting to kiss my wife, but I would have a problem with my wife wanting to kiss some dude. Sorry Heath, while Mr. McAllister may be tool, you have to put most of the blame on your wife, Sir.

April 8, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  23. Kaitlin Mayo: Online Entrepreneur/Fitness Coach

Wow, this is really hurting the platform of family values. Look, I know that people make mistakes, but he is in the public eye constantly. We're supposed to look up to our leaders and not be embarrassed by them. They're supposed to be elected to office on the basis if many factors, especially their integrity. :/

April 8, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  24. Bill

It never ceases to amaze me that guys like this, up to and including Presidents, think they can get away with this kind of thing. The political motivation to find dirt on an opponent is just too compelling. If you do it, someone is going to catch you sooner or later. Usually sooner. Are they just too stupid to understand that, or too arrogant to think that it can happen to them?

April 8, 2014 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. Kathy Hogan

Who says it was just a kiss? There's probably a lot more going on behind those closed doors.

April 8, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |