April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Erica

There is no telling what else this so called congressman did...he was caught and couldn't get out of it. Poor excuse for a man.

April 8, 2014 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. Malory Archer

Ed

Heath needs to take a look at his wife if he is looking for blame, not just the congressman. Heath, did your WIFE apologize to you? She shares 50% of the responsibility for this transgression. Don't make it seem like it was 100% the congressman's fault. The wife is equally responsible in this lack of judgement.

April 8, 2014 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |

pkfops01

Could have been worse; he could have been taped kissing a dude.

and

Ummm

Ummm what about your wife? Why are you blaming this guy. It takes two. Your wife is where your disgust and anger should be. She wasn't forced into anything.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He's DIVORCING her – what more do you expect him to do?

April 8, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. Marlene

Republicans will still vote for him...they love hypocrisy.

April 8, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. Mark

So your wife kissed someone? SO WHAT! If you are allowing that to end your marriage, you weren't in love to begin with.

Throughout history, people have flirted, had affairs, teased, kissed, and gone home to their spouse. There are two types of people – those who know this and those who are in denial.

Want your life back? Admit YOU shouldn't have made such a big deal of it and go get your wife back.

April 8, 2014 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. Malory Archer

max099

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But not before trotting out the "Democrats do it too" strawman.

April 8, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. quidestveritas

no doubt this mcallister guy is a bum, but does the husband not realize that his wife was shares some responsibility?

April 8, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. Erica

And this guys wife....it takes two...didn't see a gun held to her head....poor excuse for a women...

April 8, 2014 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Kevin

Didn't this guy watch House of Cards? Frances Underwood would never have been busted like this. Amateur!!!

April 8, 2014 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  9. larry bud

WOW!....this is amazing normally these low character dudes only dare to run as a democrat where they get rewarded for being SHYSTERS!!!!

April 8, 2014 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  10. thinker1958

this congressman goes through life trying to make everybody feel bad about their lives if they are not as "family oriented" as he is. he shows everybody pictures of all his kids. I'm sure he tells everybody that is not perfect that God will send them to hell for eternity. Then he is caught and right away ask for forgiveness. Congressman, just go find a rock and crawl under.

April 8, 2014 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. tp1776

here's the lesson: don't believe anyone; not politicians claiming "family values", not drug addicts claiming they are clean, not pastors talking about their faith in the Lord, no one

April 8, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  12. Grimm reaper

Interesting. Rachel Maddox credited the robertsons with getting this tool voted in. Amazing how sinners get support from Roth faithful bit god loving gays cannot

April 8, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. Deb

lol on the husband saying the congressman "ruined his life / marriage" . . . . how about putting 1/2 the blame on his cheating wife, lololololol

April 8, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. Malory Archer

max099

When the holier than thou Christian republicans get caught being a little unholy they always invoke god, ask for forgiveness, and continue on their merry way. All the while criticizing the way the rest of us unholy "heathens" live our lives and enacting laws to ensure you won't sin. Holier than thou Christians are nothing but hypocrites. May the voters of Louisiana return him to the swamp along with his Duck Commander idol.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Considering diaper dude (R-LA) is still in office, that seems most unlikely.

April 8, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  15. Grahamman

He thinks it was "just a kiss". Hahaha. Like the old saying goes, it's not the first time they did it, it's the first time they got caught. Of course nothing more than a kiss never happened the previous times when they didn't get caught.

April 8, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. fsulevine

So... he is not religious at all, but ran as if he was real religious. His entire campaign was a lie I take it. What a complete hypocrite.

April 8, 2014 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  17. paulo

So he's "sorry" he made a mistake, and she called her husband, all because they got caught. He never would have been "sorry" and she never would have called her husband had the video not been shown. They would have kept on going if not for that. I feel sorry for her husband and SIX year old son. Both are a disgrace, I don't care what party he is.

April 8, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. Dave Lacks, USA

As a conservative and Republican, I hope this idiot has the sense to step down (I know, funny, right?) and leave office. The trust that you are seeking from everyone, NOW that you have been caught, will never return, and all you are now is a liability to the party, your state, this nation, and most hurtful of all, your family.
    Time to consider moving on.

April 8, 2014 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. thecryptowizard

The congressman didn't ruin his life, his disloyal wife did. He's not innocent, but rather than pointing the blame at a guy he wasn't in a committed relationship with, he should be looking directly at his wife. There is no excuse for either of them, but she definitely carries the greatest responsibility to him and their family.

April 8, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. Jessica McGwin

That is what American government does at all levels. They are home wreckers! On every level. And the American people put up with it. So what are we going to do? The people of this country put up with everything from terrorists blowing up cities and our Pentagon, they put up with military rape and murder , they put up with being lied to about everything from drug users in congress to back door pay offs, Y not infidelity? They do not care who's life they destroy and they will kick in your doors to get their "Owed" pay even if they do nothing but abuse the power and the people.

April 8, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. Janalionberger

I agree 100% with your statement, what hypocrites these guys are. My condolences to the spouse's.

April 8, 2014 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  22. tony

Think now . . .Does YOUR wife vote republican?

April 8, 2014 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Yami

Republicans are cheaters,

April 8, 2014 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. Phuckaduck

hey Phil. Does this make you happy happy happy. Endorsing a sinner to office ? What a hypocrite Phil Robertson is. Endorse a sinner and slam others for sonning

April 8, 2014 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  25. JB

Why is he asking god for forgiveness? Out of all the people he apologized to wasnt god the only one who was watching and allowing it go down?

God must not like his wife and children thats why they are being punished.

April 8, 2014 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |