April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

6 year old son and married 6 years... Hmmm. Who wants to bet she was pregnant when they got married? I've said it before and I'll say it again, just because you make a baby doesn't mean you have to get married. I know it sounds harsh but why put yourself and kid through the torture of living with parents who are only married because of the child....

April 8, 2014 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  2. Mike

Didn't wreck Bill Clinton's life!

April 8, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  3. Carmelle's Treasures

Why doesn't he blame his wife...she knew she was married. Can't figure out why the "victim" always blames their lovers lover.

April 8, 2014 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  4. MK

I dunno, is this a behavior somehow being attributed to only policticians? Peoples lives are ruined every day by men and women willing to ruin the lives of anybody just because...... You don't have to be a dem or a repub to belong to this group of people.

April 8, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. dzerres

Heck, Louisiana voted a diaper wearing, DC Madam visiting Senator back into office. They don't give a crap about "christian" values – just judging other people and vilifying anyone who disagrees with them. THIS is why the world HATES Christians! Any questions?

April 8, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  6. nancy

This is like when democrats talk about the 1% as if they are not in the top 0.01% themselves. Hypocrites. This guy is clearly a total fake as the husband stated in the article.

And no, admitting to being a looser (ie Democrats) does not get them off the hook for immoral behavior either.

I feel very bad for the husband...what was his wife thinking? Did she think they'd both leave their spouses and hurt their kids?

April 8, 2014 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  7. Anderson Blooper

That poor Heath guy is naive if he thinks they were only kissing. Who "only kisses" as adults? There was much more to it. They did a lot more in the office, in the car, and probably every other place imaginable. There is only video of them kissing, Heath. But they did a lot more. Divorce that trash and find someone who respects you.

April 8, 2014 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  8. cheapseats2

Yeah, the Congressmen ruined your life but guess what? Your wife looked like a willing partner. She had a part in it too.

April 8, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  9. peterz

There was no double-standard for GOP on family value.

April 8, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Andy

I'm a republican. I don't cheat – and I find cheating reprehensible. Please don't lump all conservatives into the same boat as this d-bag.

April 8, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. jim kaufer

this poor guy says that it ruined his marriage and it was ONLY 1 kiss ~ sorry bro but it was just one CAUGHT on tape ~ that kind of passionate kiss is clear that it was a heck of a lot more physical than that and def more than once. They just happened to passionately kiss once? riiiiiiight. I wish I could sell this poor guy some beautiful swamp land, errrrrr, property

April 8, 2014 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. nancy

Interesting and telling that only Lefty's comments get posted on here.

April 8, 2014 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. AlbaMN

Hate to break it to you Heath, the congressman is sorry he got caught, not sorry he cheated with your wife. Just another two faced politician who esposes family values when he doesn't really know what they are.

April 8, 2014 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. duane - st.pete FL

yep....dump her....I hate cheaters, they only are sorry when they get caught.....

April 8, 2014 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. texasgreenacres

I'm sorry that it happened also but that's life.Things do happen and sometimes we have regrets.But people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.And marriage is a give and take proposition.Divorce isn't the only answer.I think he should talk to his wife and work things out.As for the politician it appears he's got a better grip on handling his part.But the cheating wife told her husband before the news broke so she she still holds a loving respect for him.And he should give her forgiveness for that and maybe another chance.

April 8, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. Jneuy

Guess all liberals forgot about bill clinton and Kennedy doing this in the White House

April 8, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. jason

It's not just a kiss....its about cheating....if he had a dog the dog needs to be checked for STDs

April 8, 2014 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. jason

destroyed life....aLL Republicans are genuinely bad people

April 8, 2014 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. Bryan

None of them are christians, Rep, Dem, white, black, male, female. THINK ABOUT IT. You can not be a christian and be a politician or a lawyer. And in the times we live in now, a business person either. In order to be a true christian you MUST put others before yourself. If you do lie, you must confess (at least to yourself), repent, and never do it again. That disqualifies all the professions I have listed here. If all you care about is yourself, your bank account, your prestige you are NOT a christian.

April 8, 2014 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  20. breed7

The congressman wrecked your life? Your wife didn't have anything to do with it?

Typical Republicans. Blame everybody else for your own problems.

April 8, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  21. Kelly

He's Republican. Just say you found Jesus and it's all forgiven.

April 8, 2014 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. Arun

Here we go again with the party of family values!! Everyone that is not a repube is a sinner and only repubes are forgiven. What a joke of a party!!

April 8, 2014 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Malory Archer

Mike

Didn't wreck Bill Clinton's life!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why would this congressman's cheating ruin Bill Clinton's life?

April 8, 2014 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  24. Darwufche

Another two-faced Republican who manages to dupe his supporters...and likely will continue to do so because they are gullible.

April 8, 2014 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  25. mary

Oh c'mon Heath give her another chance. Sure the congressman is an a'hole but don't give him so much power – Don't give up your marriage so quickly. Try a little tenderness and forgiveness, than if it's still too much u can walk away. We all fall from grace at some time in our lives.

April 8, 2014 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |