April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. papawnick

John, Robert and Ted Kennedy plus Bill Clinton, Sanford, etc The examples for cheating politicians. If wives can't trust them the voters should not. It is OK for the wife to stay with the cheater if he can help her campaign.

April 8, 2014 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  2. Malory Archer

larry bud

WOW!....this is amazing normally these low character dudes only dare to run as a democrat where they get rewarded for being SHYSTERS!!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're confusing your parties, dear. Not surprising considering the projection that spews forth from you reds.

April 8, 2014 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  3. WaterLily

I saw that video... that wasn't the FIRST time those two had made out. He needs to be blaming his wife, it wasn't the Congressman who he exchanged vows with.

April 8, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  4. Chris Daniels

This isn't about Democrats or Republicans. It's about an idiot politician who ruined someone's marriage. It doesn't matter what side he sits on, he isn't qualified to be a representative of a state. What is the world coming to when we start to focus on the political affiliation rather than the truth that is smacking us right in the face. The reality is that if this was your life and your wife cheated on you, how would you feel?

April 8, 2014 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  5. Get Real

“It was just a kiss, that was all it was"

The first stage is denial.

April 8, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. Polar Bear

"Just a kiss." Yeah, I bet.

April 8, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. Lucky Lee

Is this guy for real?? McAllister didn't "ruin" his life. His wife did.

April 8, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  8. sly is a loser

sly

"Possibly the reason why he hasn't paid taxes in his whole life."
    =====
    Leave Mitt Romney out of this.

God knows that only Rich White Males evade taxes. It's in their gene's to lie and cheat.
    _____________________
    You take the cake sly for the biggest liar on here today!! Romney paid more in taxes in 2011 then you will pay in your entire lifetime!!! Don't be jealious of the rich, work harder and stop living in mom's basement (and actually get a job) and maybe you too can make a good living someday (that is if you don't act like the loser you are in front of your emoloyer)! Ever heard of Wesley Snipes??? Ya only rich while males.....keep drinking the kool-aid loser!

April 8, 2014 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. Malory Archer

Wake Up People! Many Rivers to cross.....

6 year old son and married 6 years... Hmmm. Who wants to bet she was pregnant when they got married? I've said it before and I'll say it again, just because you make a baby doesn't mean you have to get married. I know it sounds harsh but why put yourself and kid through the torture of living with parents who are only married because of the child....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Because that's what good chrizuns do – didn't you get the memo?

April 8, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  10. Billy

So show of hands–who thinks it was just a passionate kiss and that it has never gone further?

April 8, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  11. veep

Not another con-artist posing as a Christian Conservative?!

you mean they were full of it all along?!

April 8, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Another "Christian conservative family values Republican" goes down. What a shocker...

April 8, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  13. redhotmama

SEW HIS A-- jilted hubby. But it is likely this woman wasn't in her first rodeo as it were ... it is quite possible she dates married men who hire her at work often, laudering/hiding the payments and gifts via the work/office accounts ...

April 8, 2014 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. Malory Archer

Jneuy

Guess all liberals forgot about bill clinton and Kennedy doing this in the White House

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nope, not at all. In fact, if memory serves me, Bill Clinton was impeached for "doing this in the White House".

April 8, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  15. Mike

Leave God out of it. What man allows on earth, is allowed in heaven. We choose which path to take. That's what "free will" is all about. Do good, or do evil. Anyone is capable of either at any time. If you do the crime, you get to do the time. It's as simple as that.

April 8, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. Michael

Is kissing another women actually cheating on your wife? Kissing is nothing but a sign of friendship. Letting things go to the next level is cheating on your wife. I will have a much more open relationship with my wife. Possibly even allow her to have multiple husbands and me multiple wives.

April 8, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  17. redhotmama

THIS WOMAN sounds like a serial mistress, hired and paid by married men

April 8, 2014 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  18. Lance

Sorry Nancy, but he is a Republican and not a Democrat, so do your comments still apply?

April 8, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. Sniffit

"‘He has wrecked my life’"

Probably wrecked his own too...oh wait, no he didn't...some lobbying firm will not doubt scoop him up now for a 6-figure salary anyway.

April 8, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. bababooey

Never ever trust a politician, never ever buy into the "religion" thing-both are as fake and phony as you can get.....dont forget that people are people and power, greed, mistrust, thinking bad thoughts, kissing that hot woman/man you work with are all temptations that everyone has the choice to do something about. You both knew exactly what you were doing, stop with the "im a victim" bull crap......based on the pix ive seen of her, i'd be happy to kiss her and press up against her body......

April 8, 2014 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  21. Californio

"‘When did you get religious?’ He said, ‘When I needed votes,’”

DON'T TRUST THEIR WORDS, GO BY THEIR ACTIONS. We conservatives have been PLAYED for 30+ years by phonies who pretend to agree with us, and then ***mysteriously** fail to deliver when they get into office. This is why we have a wrecked country: the people who ran on the "fix it" platform, did NOT actually believe in it!

April 8, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  22. gowisha

As the old saying goes, 'It takes two to tango". But the husband wants his 15-minutes of fame, so naturally he blames the other guy, and not his wife. As for commentor Anderson Blooper, he seems to be just another sloth who thinks he knows everything that happens in this world. Mind you, his name says it all.

April 8, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. Jeff

The reality is nobody steals your wife. It looks like she went along willingly, so you can blame her and blame him, but also do a little reflecting on why she chose to cheat on you.

April 8, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. FH

"Just a kiss"! Come on mannnnnnnn! I saw the kiss, and that's an "I've hit it" kiss!

April 8, 2014 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. Will

My heart goes out to this poor guy. I hope he get custody of his child.

April 8, 2014 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |