April 8th, 2014
5 months ago

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) – The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. cindy

My heart goes out to this man and his family.

April 8, 2014 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  2. materialman80

Looks like old Vance is a sleeze, just like the rest of them up there. Vance has 5 children, "family values" indeed.....

April 8, 2014 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. clm

Uh your wife ruined your marriage. She's the one who made a vow to you, not him. It could have been any guy...

April 8, 2014 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  4. Ole Bull

His campaign website....1st paragraph......
    "I am running for U.S. Congress to ensure our conservative and Louisiana values are protected".

She is not the one who ran for office to "ensure our conservative and Louisiana values are protected"

April 8, 2014 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. Sheila

Has nothing to do with politics or religion, just no character.

April 8, 2014 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

Chris-E...al

Vance should go far away he is 'unsuitable' for office ! Rep or dem . He should step down today .
    --------------------–
    Seeing how he hasn't thought of it himself....
    Seeing how his fellow Republicans in the House haven't said a word....
    Seeing how he's apologized to God.....
    He ain't stepping down.

April 8, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  7. Christine

The loudest Christians are the ones you need to worry about and distrust.

April 8, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  8. Malory Archer

selaw

I find it interesting that only the congressman is to blame... Where is her responsibility in all of this? I don't recall reading that she was forced to do this kissing app. Or is it just that she doesn't hold cloud or political position?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's right – it's ALL her fault because as uncle sugar said, women can't control their libodos. She doesn't hold clout or a political position, which also means that unlike the guy who ran on "family values" and failed miserably, she doesn't she have unlimited media access at her disposal to provide a forum for her to cry crocodile tears for "forgiveness". Additionally, she's paying the price far more than the guy who ran on "family values" and failed miserably – her marriage is over! What more would you want from her? Oh, that's right – she should be buried to her neck in the public square while self-rightous individuals such as yourself hurl boulders at her head and the guy who ran on "family values" and failed miserably goes about his merry way because "god" forgave him.

April 8, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  9. O'drama ya Mama

Does Mr. Duck Dynasty want to exorcize his freedom of speech now and tell us about his friend Vance's sins?

April 8, 2014 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  10. jmariaca

This is so badly written English. NO wonder kids can't write or read!! Who did what to whom?

April 8, 2014 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  11. Kareno

Yeh when Clinton did it he got a pass from the public and his wife. Different rules for different people I guess....

April 8, 2014 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  12. Inci Pio

This > "“It was just a kiss, that was all it was..."

If it was.. just a kiss then why not give the same kind of kiss.. out in the open... in front of you.... and everyone else?

April 8, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  13. wLara

Lowlife. Just trash.

April 8, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  14. rubypearl

what happened to better or worse, really, divorce because kissed? if he really loved her he should be able to move past "just a kiss" and not focus on being embarrassed.

April 8, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  15. jmariaca

This article is so badly written. No wonder kids cannot write in our schools. Who did what to whom?

April 8, 2014 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. The Republican Party Is Dead To Me

Family values, at their best. Probably invoked a few sermons and chants before the kiss occurred. Whatever happened, he's a republican, so it's all good. RIGHT.

April 8, 2014 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. Ole Bull

More drivel from the top of his "Issues" website tab
    "Faith and Family
    Born and raised in West Carroll Parish, Vance was taught at a young age the importance of faith, family, and hard work. Vance and his wife Kelly have been married for sixteen years." Too bad his faith didnt teach him fidelity.

He also touts his support for "Traditional Marraige".....is that what the video is depicting...traditonal marraige?

April 8, 2014 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. Roxy

funny we are quick to report dirt on the REPs but what about the 3 CA DEMS that got arrested for things way worse than adultery?

April 8, 2014 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. JIMMY

And still no Leland Yee story cnn what a crock. Helping democrats to destroy the truth.

April 8, 2014 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. muj

Atleast this republican had it with a girl instead of a boy lol

April 8, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. MrComments

Haha, so the kiss was forced on her? Looked like both of them were very into it, lots of tongue action. And that was from the surveillance cam. What do you think happened in places with no cam?

April 8, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  22. Tom

say what? You are annoyed that the Congress-man didn't apologize to you? Where is the statement from your wife? If my wife cheated on me, I couldn't care less about the guy, but I would divorce my wife – she is the one that committed to be faithful to me.

That said, the Congressman is treating his own wife like dirt as well. Both spouses should leave their pathetic cheating partners.

April 8, 2014 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  23. George

Dude, I think your WIFE is the one who wrecked your life !! Your wife owed you loyalty, not the Congressman. Why do people always get mad at the third party rather than their spouse?

April 8, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  24. anotherGDlefty

The party of moral outrage and family values swings for the fences...
    Interesting the "defenders" are blaming the woman more than the man.
    He was just answering the sirens call, is that the defense you're playing?

April 8, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  25. shinyhalo

It happens a lot with men in powerful jobs and their female secretaries/schedulers/assistants/whatever.

April 8, 2014 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |