April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Zander Nickels

I dunno, based on that video, the congressman's shirt is all untucked. Me thinks something more was going on than just the kiss!

April 8, 2014 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Hehe...one might even call what he did to get elected "ideological carpetbagging." He literally relocated to Christian-fundy-land in order to pander for votes.

April 8, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  3. redhotmama

"It was just a kiss, that's all that is was"? LOL um says who? Not even close, buddy. This woman may get hired by to hook up with older married men for a living, and it is a lot more than just kissing ....

April 8, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Live by the sword die by the sword. This Jerk espouses family values in his adds and puts his family in the political add. And then asks god for forgiveness. God has given him what he deserves

April 8, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  5. wowreally?

Nothing says good old Christian family values like cheating on your wife with a married woman in the office provided to you by the public.

April 8, 2014 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. Jeff

Yep, only the Right does this crap huh? Way to go lefties, because this is the first person in office caught doing this.
    Recall John Edwards, your pony boy VP nominee that was cheating on his wife that was going through cancer? Yeah, great role model there.

Both sides have their bad apples, get over it.

April 8, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Nice language for a Christian.

April 8, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. Steve Kellmeyer

Why are we worried about a kiss when there's a California Senator, pro-gun control, who has been indicted for gun-running? Where is the story on Democrat Senator Yee?

Why isn't Yee front-page news? Is the fact that he's a Democrat the problem?
    Only Republicans can cause scandal, is that it?

April 8, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. Jeff Brown in Jersey

The same clowns who are defending him crucified Anthony Weiner. GOP HYPOCRITES!!!!!

April 8, 2014 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  10. Nigerian

Mr. husband why such a dangerous judgement? pls consider reconciliation for the sake of that child.

April 8, 2014 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  11. Mike

This isn't really news. Real news is a politician that kept his pants zipped and respected his family.

April 8, 2014 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. Sniffit

"This is why we have a wrecked country: the people who ran on the "fix it" platform, did NOT actually believe in it!"

I don't really know what to tell you. It's been quite obvious that the GOP plan, rather than "fix" anything, has been "break it to prove it's broken" for the past 6+ decades. If you failed to pick up on that because you were focused on telling people what to do in their bedrooms and trying to make sure the laws of the country look like the laws of the Bible, then it's your own fault for directing your focus on the wrong crap.

April 8, 2014 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. ThinkAgain: Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

Heath needs to wake up and accept that the Congressman AND his wife wrecked his life. That smooch looked pretty mutual to me!

April 8, 2014 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  14. Kevin O.

The bible says "put them to death". So…do it.

April 8, 2014 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  15. WillB

He's sad the public saw this video, but happy they've not seen the one he took 2 hrs. later in his hotel room.

April 8, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. pt

Your WIFE was the one who broke her vow to you! If she said "hell no, I'm married" your life would not be wrecked and the slimy congressman would be kissing someone else in the video!

April 8, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  17. ThinkAgain: Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. He should be thrown out of office for defrauding the public by claiming he was an upstanding "Christian" when he ran for office.

April 8, 2014 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"There's no doubt I've fallen short"

That's what she said.

April 8, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  19. JAG

I'm sick and tired of these GOP clowns asking God to forgive them for their inability to keep their pants zipped.
    Hypocrites.

April 8, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. ritmocojo

Brought to you by "The Party of Stupid", to quote another Louisianian in the name of Gov. Bobby Jindal. How smack right on he was when he coined that one.

April 8, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. hello

This matters for some reason the media will be out to wreck this poor guys wife. I'm sure some of the people reporting this story have been caught cheating before too .

April 8, 2014 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. PushingBack

Republicans: Destroying families with that personal touch.

April 8, 2014 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. Kim

Why is the cheating wife saying that the congressman wrecked her life?? How did HE wreck her life? She seemed pretty willing in the video. Why doesn't she accept responsibility for HER actions? And what does he owe her an apology for, having a video camera in his office? Is she embarrased because of her own behaviors? Maybe she owes HIM an apology? Maybe she seduced him?? So sick of everyone blaming the man, both were willing and both are equally guilty. Policical party doesn't matter, the whole event is disgusting.

April 8, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  24. Jp

did he wreck it like a wrecking ball?

April 8, 2014 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  25. sly is a loser

Tampa Tim

Only a low life right wing reptile would call others rats.
    ________________________
    Have you seen what sly has been posting on the sharpton post? Yes sly and YOU (all you post is hate about repubs and never any actual thoughtful post) are lower than a rat, not all liberals, I know many good liberals, (actual liberals, you and sly are not a liberal!) just YOU and sly are a lower life form then a rat/reptile/maggot and that is a FACT.

April 8, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |