April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. De Odorizer

Go to Youtube and type "Meet Vance McAllister", and you'll meet the real guy, the one who's going to bring values to Washington... hahahahaa

April 8, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Steve

Apparently he doesn't like the tea party congressman tea bagging his wife…

April 8, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. SnafuBob

/yawn Another worthless politician; the way I see it there are currently 636 worthless politicians in Washington, and 9 ring wraiths serving Sauron...and CNN is way over moderating.

April 8, 2014 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. K

Hey Heath.... you're forgetting that it takes two to tango. Don't pin this all on the congressman... Your wife looked to be a pretty willing participant.

April 8, 2014 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. John Webb

So, the congressman wrecked his life but his wife, she wasn't really the issue. Hmmm

April 8, 2014 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Nicole S

We have hypocrites running this country....incredible.

April 8, 2014 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  7. Subnx

The Neanderthal should get over it. People aren't owned. She was kissing the guy, so what. If Heath had any confidence it wouldn't bother him.

April 8, 2014 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. Chris

Will, even though that happened. He will not get full custody of the kid. Kids need a mom in their lives. "stuff" happens....

April 8, 2014 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

“It was just a kiss, that was all it was,
    -------------------------------------------------
    Did you see the video?
    No. I didn't think so.
    That was a "thank you for f'ing my brains out" kiss goodbye/goodnight if ever I've had one!
    Poor sap.
    Being embarrassed is the LEAST of your problems.
    Your wife is having just as difficult a time keeping her pants up as the Rep. is.

April 8, 2014 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. Frank Nelson

April 8, 2014 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  11. rafael

His wife is the one that made the vow, and the one that wrecked his life.

April 8, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Lisa

Why do we think that politicians are not human? People cheat everyday, even our past Presidents. Sadly the media runs with this story because they are in the public eye, and they don't care that they are not the only ones hurt. There are six children, two spouses, and extended family that were hurt by this and now it is also public. I feel terrible for them and wonder why is this news? Why does our society continue to allow such trashy journalism to continue?

April 8, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. Charles

Yep, in the process of either putting clothes on or taking them off.

April 8, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. jojopuff92

I just really hate how she's not taking any responsibility in the situation, she's just as guilty as he is. She ruined her own marriage. I hope he gets custody of his son.

April 8, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. drstudmonkey

LOL, he should pull a Clinton and just angrily demand that everybody just stop talking about it. It's his private life! Then he could demand that we all talk about "saving Social Security" instead.

It worked before.

April 8, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. JS

Dude needs to realize that everyone makes mistakes. At least she gave him a heads up and copped to the situation. More than a lot of people would have done.

Is she in the right? Heck no, but I don't think he should just throw her out of the house. Life has its ups and downs, what a joker.

April 8, 2014 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. Anonymous

He says it "was just a kiss." So if that's true and it's also true that he "loved his wife" how come they're "headed for divorce?" It seems to me if it was "just a kiss" he should be forgiving and forgetting. But it's obvious he isn't that sort or there was something more to it that "just a kiss."

April 8, 2014 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. jojopuff92

I just hate how she's not taking any responsibility in the situation. She is just as guilty, she ruined her own marriage not him. I hope he gets custody of his son.

April 8, 2014 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Jury7

Obviously, this politician does not belong to the US congress. There may be more to it than meets the eyes.

April 8, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. kindheart2

I so agree with dpts85 and all those who said that the wife is responsible too! Not that it eases the pain, but it's good the husband found out that his wife falls short in the ethics department. I do believe that if he loves her as much as he says he does, rather than walking away from the marriage, they can both sit down, confront the situation and make some new agreements!

April 8, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. JEF

A politician who abuses power is far worse, in my humble opinion. The caveat is that if a politician can cheat on their spouse, then what are they capable of doing to the people who voted them in?

April 8, 2014 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  22. ThinkAgain: Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

That was NOT "just a kiss!" And what's he doing with his shirt untucked – at the office – what else were they up to?

April 8, 2014 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. Danielle

How Humilating and hysterical at the same time.."It was just a kiss" Naw honey, you two messed up.

April 8, 2014 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. sam

If you believe, it was just a kiss, you live in the world of fools. This is the family value of Republican in display.

April 8, 2014 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  25. ThinkAgain: Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

@Frank Nelson: "I can understand the hurt. I have been thru a lot more with my spouse. But forgiveness and getting it right for the kids is where it is at. Do not put your self first."

Then he should resign immediately so he can spend time with his family – no more government pay, no more government benes, not more government free ride.

April 8, 2014 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |