April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. Sniffit

"did he wreck it like a wrecking ball?"

LOL. Maybe Breitbart should re-do that disgustingly s-xist advertisement they made with Pelosi's head pasted onto Miley Cyrus' body (tongue out and everything) and stick this guy's head on it instead.

April 8, 2014 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  2. johnpope

your wife wrecked your marriage not the republican. I hate when a woman cheats on a man and the man who got cheated
    on, blames the other man when it was really the woman who did i. Honestly, you can never trust a woman, they have the power to be the most dishonest person on the planet.

on blames

April 8, 2014 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  3. elgranreyes

The Clinton comparison again? OK, people, when Clilnton got caught, Republicans wanted to impeach him. They're not talking about their congressman stepping down, let alone being investigated. Not even Democrats seem to be calling for that, nor should they. People's private lives are none of our business. If you want to make it our business, then don't invite the Duck Dynasty guy to congress to symbolize your devotion to family values. Let the voters decide what they want. The rest of us are too busy cheering the success of Obamacare!

April 8, 2014 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. Chris

So I'm going to guess he's not going to vote for him.

April 8, 2014 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. phil buzter

was there tongue there? i couldn't tell. Too grainy.

April 8, 2014 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. Wanda Kowalski

Does he by any chance remember the words he said, such as "for better or worse?" Divorcing for a spouse kissing someone, or even full on cheating is not right. Don't get married if your bonds are so flimsy.

April 8, 2014 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. kws11

Your young, attractive wife works for a politician, and you are SURPRISED, and you BLAME HIM when she makes out with him? Power... aphrodisiac... corruption... any old sayings coming to mind here?

April 8, 2014 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. ThinkAgain: Don't like Congress? Get rid of the repub/tea bag majority.

@Sniffit: ""There's no doubt I've fallen short"
    That's what she said.

Touche!

April 8, 2014 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  9. Disillusioned

Let's face it people, this is not a democratic vs. republican issue. I say this, as a former republican, briefly democratic, now firmly independent voter. Our politicians are corrupt, from top to bottom. Quite honestly, given the depth of that corruption (much of which we accept as normal), I see little possibility of saving this Republic.

And we can't blame it on the politicians themselves. We elect people, both democrats and republicans, based on sound bites and thoroughly sterilized press releases and public images. Some of us say that marital infidelity is okay as long as it doesn't affect a politicians performance in office, as though problems in a person's character can ever be assumed to affect only one aspect their conduct. Some of us accept that "business as usual" for our elected representatives includes that they spend 2/3's of their time in office raising funds, campaigning, and insuring that they stay in office. Some of us don't find it unusual that these same representatives vote on bills they have never, or not fully, read, or more typically, decide how to vote on a bill based on what bones are thrown their way.

I'm rapidly coming to the opinion that our current form of government is beyond redemption. Unfortunately, like most Americans, I'm not sure what to put in its place.

April 8, 2014 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  10. gt

LOL.. As usaul.. I ask for forgiveness... until l I get caught next time...

April 8, 2014 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. Tao Tzu

Heath, I know that this has just hit you hard but you will rebound and be a great father to your child. You now know that your relationship wasn't all that you thought that it was. This situation had been going on for a long time and she should have told you before embarrassing you this way. My advice is to get a lawyer and quickly get the ball running to end the relationship. You have the tape of her and him so use it to your advantage and make sure that you don't let him get away. Bring his butt into the fray by subpoenaing him at your divorce. You are going to need some time to yourself so take your child and take a small vacation to get things together. My prayers are with you.

April 8, 2014 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  12. Lawrence

More gop family values

April 8, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  13. Steve

Typical D.C. politicians think they are above the law. To the husband, it takes two to tango so you best ask your wife for the apology.

April 8, 2014 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  14. Bigwilliestyles

So falls another racist. Good riddance to repub trash.

April 8, 2014 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. wildmangreen

another piece of scu mm, another 'oh please forgive me.' i believe in god, i'm sorry and the idiots in louisianna will probably say, oh well, he believes, lets forgive him...it's okay...he can be trusted now...what a joke. a pathetic, sick joke.

April 8, 2014 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  16. Jim

Don't be mad at the congressman dude, be mad at your wife. Let the Congressman's wife be mad at him.

April 8, 2014 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  17. Kathy, AZ

I feel sorry for this husband, but you have to admit - running on a lie & being caught by it is just plain KARMA.

April 8, 2014 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. Tampa Tim

Loser – You appear to be upset, so just calm down junior. I can also see you have difficulty acknowledging the wingnut hate machine. You should read their posts, talk about hate and that's a fact. You dung beetles are annoying.

April 8, 2014 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. Greg

It was just a kiss, honest!

April 8, 2014 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. Blay

Funny how the guy keeps saying " He ruined my life " when there are 2 people involved. I would say his wife ruined things too.

April 8, 2014 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. dean

If he is cheating now. Imagine what is he doing with the power he has at White House or Congress. Let's all vote for him to resign.
    Mc Allister reply me how can we trust you now? You did not even care about your own family too.

April 8, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  22. John

Just a kiss? Hope this poor fellow doesn't believe that.

April 8, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. redhotmama

"It was just a kiss, that's all that is was"? LOL um says who? Not even close, buddy. This woman may get hired in a variety of fake jobs to hook up with older married men for a living, and hide/launder the money through the office accounts ... and it is a lot more than just kissing ....

April 8, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  24. Jason

He looks a little like Jimmy Fallon.

April 8, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  25. kim

The congressman should resign, he's disgusting. The husband needs to cool off before saying we are heading for divorce.

April 8, 2014 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |