April 8th, 2014

First on CNN: Husband on kissing congressman: ‘He has wrecked my life’

(CNN) - The husband of the woman caught making out with Rep. Vance McAllister said the Louisiana Republican destroyed his life and marriage.

"I'm just freaking devastated by the whole deal, man. I loved my wife so much. I cannot believe this. I cannot freaking believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up here in a minute and this is all going to be a bad nightmare," Heath Peacock told CNN Tuesday.

On Monday, The Ouachita Citizen in West Monroe, Louisiana, published a surveillance video it says shows McAllister and his scheduler, Melissa Hixon Peacock, passionately kissing in his office last December.

Heath Peacock said he didn't know about the episode until Melissa called him a couple hours before the news broke.

"He has wrecked my life," Peacock, 34, said of McAllister. "We're headed for divorce."

Heath and Melissa Peacock have been married for six years and have a 6-year-old son.

"It was just a kiss, that was all it was, but it embarrassed me and my family," Heath Peacock said. "This guy has turned my life upside down."

Melissa Peacock no longer works for McAllister, Heath Peacock said.

Melissa Peacock and McAllister's office did not return requests for comment.

Poll: What's worse – a politician who cheats or who abuses power?

McAllister, who is married with five children, issued a statement on Monday saying, "There's no doubt I've fallen short and I'm asking for forgiveness. I'm asking for forgiveness from God, my wife, my kids, my staff, and my constituents who elected me to serve."

Heath Peacock noted that "he's apologized to everyone in the world except me."

McAllister was elected in a November special election to fill the vacancy left by GOP Rep. Rodney Alexander's resignation. McAllister campaigned as a Christian conservative - a claim Peacock disputed.

"I know his beliefs. When he ran one of his commercials, he said 'I need your prayers,' and I asked, 'When did you get religious?' He said, 'When I needed votes,'" Peacock recalled. "He broke out the religious card and he's about the most non-religious person I know."

McAllister also made headlines earlier this year when he invited "Duck Dynasty" star Willie Robertson to be his guest at the President's State of the Union address.

Separately, McAllister's office is dropping a plan to request the FBI investigate who leaked the surveillance video.

"Congressman McAllister's office will not pursue an FBI investigation at this time regarding the distribution of a video filmed in leased federal office space," spokeswoman Jennifer Dunagin said in a statement on Wednesday.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh, Evan Perez and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this story.

Filed under: Vance McAllister
  1. George

TERM LIMITS They can only lie for a short term

April 8, 2014 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  2. jim

Folks, compared to what else is going on in the world we need to put these types of things in perspective.
    The guy didn't blow up a school or purposely crash an airplane into the ocean; he just got hold of a nice piece of tail.
    Let the families work it out in private.

April 8, 2014 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  3. Jim Jimson

Does Republican family values include breaking up families?

April 8, 2014 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  4. Dan

What's with this "asking for forgiveness" stuff? Are we all now supposed to make him feel better? Same narcissism that got him into this mess.

April 8, 2014 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. Belladonna Cove

This happened because McAllister's wife let herself get overweight.

April 8, 2014 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. gisthatright

Sorry wife's husband but many men (including myself) have experienced the let down of infidelity. Just wait for the messy divorce and how its all going to be your fault and she takes your kids and everything you worked for.

April 8, 2014 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  7. buckeyechucke

I can't hardly believe it, another lying republican with no moral values, I'm shocked.

April 8, 2014 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  8. Ipploit

The congressman did not wreck this guys life – his cheating wife did. Nothing in that video indicates that she was forced to do anything.

April 8, 2014 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  9. PhatGreek

Really, do we care for this news, come on, its an election year. Give some good & positive news. People everyday cheat on their spouses, are they on TV? its part of the political life to have this happen. Look at human history, great empires all of them. How many had this same issues. Who cares, who really cares. Has he done his job?while on office, that's what I care about.

April 8, 2014 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  10. Dale

Sorry sir, but unless this guy forced himself upon your wife, she's as much to blame.

April 8, 2014 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  11. pauleky

@Disillusioned – if I could "like" your post 1,000 times, I would.

April 8, 2014 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  12. EP

Ah! The FAMILY VALUES!! The hypocrite should resign immediately.. “a Christian Conservative” of course.

April 8, 2014 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  13. Michael

Two-faced news.

April 8, 2014 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  14. norm

I think both of them acted wrong and had no concern for their families. It is sad that they went home every night and lied to their families while the fire burned down below.

April 8, 2014 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  15. Me

Disillusioned

Let's face it people, this is not a democratic vs. republican issue. I say this, as a former republican, briefly democratic, now firmly independent voter. Our politicians are corrupt, from top to bottom. Quite honestly, given the depth of that corruption (much of which we accept as normal), I see little possibility of saving this Republic.

And we can't blame it on the politicians themselves. We elect people, both democrats and republicans, based on sound bites and thoroughly sterilized press releases and public images. Some of us say that marital infidelity is okay as long as it doesn't affect a politicians performance in office, as though problems in a person's character can ever be assumed to affect only one aspect their conduct. Some of us accept that "business as usual" for our elected representatives includes that they spend 2/3's of their time in office raising funds, campaigning, and insuring that they stay in office. Some of us don't find it unusual that these same representatives vote on bills they have never, or not fully, read, or more typically, decide how to vote on a bill based on what bones are thrown their way.

I'm rapidly coming to the opinion that our current form of government is beyond redemption. Unfortunately, like most Americans, I'm not sure what to put in its place.
    ______________________
    Agree with everything you said, I have almost just given up and stopped voting all together but I then realize that it is my duty and honor to vote so I do. I have never seen such partisan politics in my entire life, things are out of control left vs right, I think the only way to save our political system is to do away with all parties so an individuals runs on thier values and only their values! I will never identify with any party again and think that is what everyone needs to do!

April 8, 2014 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. S

"It was just a kiss" – and you believed a politician (or your cheating wife) that that's all it was? Move on buddy, she can't be trusted and you are in denial.

April 8, 2014 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Sniffit

"@Sniffit: ""There's no doubt I've fallen short"
    That's what she said.

Touche!"

This guy is a GOPer, so I believe that's actually spelled with a capital "D."

April 8, 2014 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. rad666

Sue congressman for alienation of affection?

April 8, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. Anonymous

When does the congressman go to rehab?

April 8, 2014 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. tynkyrbelle

That's what you get for voting Republican.

April 8, 2014 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  21. angels94040

When does the congressman go to rehab?

April 8, 2014 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  22. Michael

I was under the impression that this was not news worthy, CNN did not report on Sen/Con personally. has anyone looked up Leland Yee?

April 8, 2014 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  23. Martin

Your wife is the one who owes you an apology, baby.

April 8, 2014 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  24. phantom235

Well, everyone laughed off Bubba Bill The Rapist.
    just see say the Libtards.
    they will eat this guy for lunch.

Obama's abuse of power and lying is worse.

April 8, 2014 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  25. Chris

It takes TWO to kiss ...... she could have stopped it so don't blame just one person.

April 8, 2014 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |